Project Reality v0.5 Feedback

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Project Reality v0.5 Feedback

There is a lot of feedback that is coming about for this latest rendition of the project reality mod, both on our forums and the PR forums. What I would like to do is begin to capture feedback in one location that we can then take to the PR team. [R-PUB]Garabaldi has graciously volunteered his services to help facilitate that.

So let's begin by capturing the feedback of PR v0.5 in this thread. Let's keep it to constructive feedback. Try to be as descriptive as possible.

Try to avoid brand new feature ideas for the time being, unless you're referring to an issue with the current design, then provide possible recommendations. Keep the discussion of features to a minimum so the actual features are not lost in the thread.
    |TG-12th| asch
    sigpic

Re: Project Reality v0.5 Feedback

I really enjoy the kit assigment via the quartermaster...however, it would be really nice to see the area in which you can request a kit be more visible and easier to identify. As it is it seems there's is only a pinpoint of space where one can request a kit from the QM and it's not clearly marked or identifiable in most spawns. It is easier, ultimately, to request a kit from a rally point spawn or an APC in most cases because those are easy to I.D. as supply points.

Also, on Muttrah City, I've seen the gameplay get onesided in favor of the MEC for the simple fact that the only spawn point for Marines in the beginning is on the carrier. And unless you have some decent pilots to ferry troops over, the team gets bound up just trying to get off their carrier. The boats are easy enough to get troops out, but they don't respawn fast enough (if at all...I was waiting for at least 10 minutes for a boat to respawn and it never did). I think a simple improvement would be to either allow the boats a fast respawn or give docks to the Marines as an initial spawn as well.

I've also noticed that some maps seem to crash the server, but from what I know most of these are known issues.

That's my input so far. Otherwise the game is fantastic and an awesome mod for TG style play.
    | | |

Comment

1. Have the mod adapt the TG scripted style of bleed found in the vBF2 maps.

Other than that, I am very very happy with what I see out of PR.

EDIT: Have the out of bounds set up for the Opfor forces when they get close to the big ships. IMO, it is suicde to go up against a ship with thousands of personnel in it. You know, sort of how it is in AlBarsarh with the Airport.
      __
      Like I said over teamspeak, people are going to start going out and buying this game for the first time at the low price of $20.00 dollars U.S. and then downloading this mod and geeting a great deal.
      Last edited by Rick_the_new_guy; 02-18-2007, 07:00 PM. Reason: Out of bounds for UCB big ship
      (PO3) Marcinko_R. (BF2 PR .509) Squad Member
      (CPO) Marcinko_R. (BF2 PR .509) Squad Leader
      (LCDR) Marcinko_R. (BF2 PR .509) Commander

Squad Member pledge to their SL:
      Squad Leader pledge to their team:
      Commander pledge to their SL:

Comment

I think something needs to be implemented to increase the need to continue to secure the next point. It could be in the form of bleed or increased resources back at the main CP.

Think capture progression on Muttrah is pretty rough. Even in earlier versions, forcing the Marines to capture Docks first pins them in a rough position. There is little defense in the dockyard itself and to compound the problem there is a lot of open space outside. Breaking out from the docks is extremely hard to do. As it is setup now there is not tactical advantage to securing docks over any other point on the map. However, if the Marines gain one or two APC's or even just one back at the Carrier by capturing the docks then it gives them a reason to secure the dockyard because it is the only place the APCs can gain access to land. I know this is supposed to be a urban/infantry map but the USMC needs a little help on the ground to break out.

Decrease the required waiting time and squad size for requesting officer kits. I see the point in preventing lonewolves gaining an advantage by laying down a spawn point for themselves but needing 3 other squadmembers makes it a little difficult to get a squad going. I know the devs are working on decreasing the required time limit on requesting the officer kit.

I don't know if it is possible but maybe implement some of the kit limiting at a squad based level. Allow each squad to have only one marksman and one LMG. Right now you can have single squads taking all of the sniper and/or marksman kits. I understand a sniper squads taking both kits and working as a small team but the marksman kit is designed to be used at the squad level. I don't think having 4-5 marksman on a map is going to be too much sharpshooting. You could make it only available to squads with officers and 5+ squad members.

Everything else is locked on. I haven't run into any glaring imbalances. The weapons are spot on so don't make any changes, especially to the LMGs. I love PR and don't see myself playing anything else.

Comment

Thanks for the thread asch :)

I really like PR and see me playing that a lot in the future. Here is my current input based on a few nights playing.

Does anyone agree with me that supply drops/vehicle drops take waaaaay to long to get on the ground?

I can understand the reasoning behind it and the "realistic" approach dropping a car from 10000ft on a parachute but it just makes car drops totally useless.

The time it takes for the car to hit the ground I can walk across any 64p map three times (exaggerated for drama). If i need it as .50 cal support my squad is most probably wiped out by the time the drop arrives.

Its ok for supply boxes so the CO and SL have to think where to place supplies 3 minutes in the future, but as for car drops it kills the idea of it.

I noticed today that Luckyshot dropped a crate and before that crate was anywhere near the ground he announced that a new round of supplies were available.
          former TacticalGamer European Division

A Tactical Gamer since 2005 (the glorious days of BF2)

Comment

Thanks for this thread, asch.

Hopefully this will make it easier to gather ideas and feedback from you guys so I can pass it onto the dev team.

I really enjoy the kit assigment via the quartermaster...however, it would be really nice to see the area in which you can request a kit be more visible and easier to identify. As it is it seems there's is only a pinpoint of space where one can request a kit from the QM and it's not clearly marked or identifiable in most spawns. It is easier, ultimately, to request a kit from a rally point spawn or an APC in most cases because those are easy to I.D. as supply points.
            Currently, you need to be within 25 metres from your main CP, 2 metres from the back of a friendly APC, 3 metres from a rally point, 3 metres from a supply crate and not in a vehicle. We could make this more clear by including that in the QM message, although the HUD is already more cluttered than we like :p.

Also, on Muttrah City, I've seen the gameplay get onesided in favor of the MEC for the simple fact that the only spawn point for Marines in the beginning is on the carrier. And unless you have some decent pilots to ferry troops over, the team gets bound up just trying to get off their carrier. The boats are easy enough to get troops out, but they don't respawn fast enough (if at all...I was waiting for at least 10 minutes for a boat to respawn and it never did). I think a simple improvement would be to either allow the boats a fast respawn or give docks to the Marines as an initial spawn as well.
            Yes, Muttrah needs to be reworked, as right now it's a walk in the park for the MEC.

EDIT: Have the out of bounds set up for the Opfor forces when they get close to the big ships. IMO, it is suicde to go up against a ship with thousands of personnel in it. You know, sort of how it is in AlBarsarh with the Airport.
            This was brought up over at the PR forums as well. IIRC, the devs were thinking of possibly implementing the POE2 "dome of death" for carriers on certian maps.

Decrease the required waiting time and squad size for requesting officer kits. I see the point in preventing lonewolves gaining an advantage by laying down a spawn point for themselves but needing 3 other squadmembers makes it a little difficult to get a squad going. I know the devs are working on decreasing the required time limit on requesting the officer kit.
            This will be implemented in the server patch released some time in the next week. The server patch will make a whole bunch of minor changes, as well as take care of the lag issues everybody is having.

I don't know if it is possible but maybe implement some of the kit limiting at a squad based level. Allow each squad to have only one marksman and one LMG. Right now you can have single squads taking all of the sniper and/or marksman kits. I understand a sniper squads taking both kits and working as a small team but the marksman kit is designed to be used at the squad level. I don't think having 4-5 marksman on a map is going to be too much sharpshooting. You could make it only available to squads with officers and 5+ squad members.
            Good idea. I'm not sure if that is possible, but I'll look into it.

Thanks for all the feedback guys. Keep it coming!

:)

Project Reality, Public Relations.

Comment

Originally posted by [R-PUB]Garabaldi View Post
              Currently, you need to be within 25 metres from your main CP, 2 metres from the back of a friendly APC, 3 metres from a rally point, 3 metres from a supply crate and not in a vehicle. We could make this more clear by including that in the QM message, although the HUD is already more cluttered than we like :p.
              So that's the formula! Getting supplied at Rally's and APC's is never a problem from what I've seen. But perhaps some kind of marker on the ground (as opposed to the HUD) at the main would help things out greatly.
              | | |

Comment

• Regarding Muttrah, I think if the US had several available points to capture at first it would be easier to break in to the city, then you wouldn't have all of MEC going for Docks. If the map is being reworked maybe extend the city northwards by a block or so?
                • I also think it would be cool to have Blackhawk's and LB transports as a quick supply option. In reality, it would only take a few seconds to haul the ammo out of the transport before it could take off again. I think if soldiers reloaded as fast as in stock BF2 while next to a transport helo, it would simulate this well. The downside being that helo's are vulnerable on the ground and an easy target. Then the commander could route supplies to needy squads rather than rely on supply drops that are irrelevant to the squads position when they fall.
                • Also the pilot smoke needs to be reworked like the other smoke, it needs to last longer.
                • I think as long as special kits can be requested at rally points, then normal kits should be available as well. These wouldn't be limited, but the time limit applying to kit requests would apply to them as well.
                • Is there a way to merge channels for vehicles or is this hardcoded. IE: All personnel in a helo can hear each other in addition to their squads.
                • I think all Spec-Ops or Combat Engineers (not both) need to be armed with a grappling hook. Spec-Ops are supposed to be the swiss army knife of the squad, they need more uses besides rally point hunting and CQB. Engineers could use the attraction because not many people play that kit right now, unless they just want the shotty. Plus it adds a lot of flavour to the game. I know ziplines are kinda silly, but they would be cool as well.
                • Officers should have red and green smoke. Green for marking friendlies and red for OPFOR during air support requests.
                • Could air assets be given smoke munitions for use against high friendly areas or special-ops?
                • There is often a lack of spawn points in the game, rally points are often blown up, APCS are often not present. There needs to be another way to combat the "I have to run 25Km from the UCB to Waypoint X...Again!" Maybe be able to spawn on any rally point (if you are in a squad) or make heavy jeeps spawn points.

Edit: Oh yea, I saw this in the PR forums but it's a good idea. Make the kit limits apply to each squad and not the whole team, putting the emphasis on squad teamwork. Each squad is able to get a support gunner, heavy AT, anti air. Maybe limit the sniper kits to the whole team, possibly the marksman as well to stop battles degenerating into snipe fests.

Overall... absolutely fantastic mod. Keep it up!

Comment

One thing I have been thinking about is medics.

I was wondering if there is a way to make the medic focus just on healing and providing first-aid on critically wounded grunts.

IRL, medics are only found one per infantry platoon.

Here is how to reduce their numbers:
                  Make the current medic kit that you can choose from only be able to heal and not revive. A new name will be given to them (they are a hybrid between the medic and the grunt). A special midic kit for reviving is found in the special kits. Like before these are limited based upon how many players are on the team.
                  The current Corpsman kit will be the special kit.

For it to work well:

Make the new hybrid medic/grunt kit not be able to heal themselves with their health pack. Of cource they will have three field dressings to toss at others and to use on themselves.

PR has greatly reduced the amount of medics seen with BF2. The zombie medic assault squads are nearly gone. Let's finish them off by making the true medics a limited kit. One in which, they will focus on keeping the grunts healthy first, and attacking second.
                  Last edited by Rick_the_new_guy; 02-18-2007, 11:44 PM. Reason: Reworked post
                  (PO3) Marcinko_R. (BF2 PR .509) Squad Member
                  (CPO) Marcinko_R. (BF2 PR .509) Squad Leader
                  (LCDR) Marcinko_R. (BF2 PR .509) Commander

Squad Member pledge to their SL:
                  Squad Leader pledge to their team:
                  Commander pledge to their SL:

Comment

After tonight's marathon rounds I found a two more map based tweaks.

On the Hills map where the British are assaulting the Chinese ridge, I think the Chinese should not have artillery. My squad found ourselves fortunate enough to get to the lower houses without getting sniped, grenaded, or rocketed thanks to our liberal use of smoke. We were in the process of rearming for the next move when artillery wiped us out. The Brits need some advantage on the map, or else there would be no reason for them to assault an entrenched position. As it is now, any ground gained by the british can be wiped out by a single artillery barrage, especially since it take multiple squads to overrun an enemy CP.

Tone down the A-10 armament just a bit on Basrah. I lost track of the number of passes the two A-10s were able to make on our position in succession. I'm fine with the US air superiority but bombs do cost money. They were dropping munitions as if they cost nothing. I hate to play the realism card but the constant bombing seems to be what bothers people the most. They can bomb but force the pilots to make their bombs count.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback, Garabaldi.

I'm totally with dawolf on the crazy supply drop times. I'd like to see them come down quicker.

I'd also like to see UAV made available to CO's. I think it's a valid asset for a realism mod, and it will make the CO position seem less boring.

Finally, I'd love to see SpecOps get some C4. Maybe only 1 or 2 packs in addition to those weak timed charges.
                      BFCL TF2 league admin

Comment

Keep the feedback coming guys. What other game play issues are we noticing? What map design issues do we see?
                        |TG-12th| asch
                        sigpic

Comment

The biggest hindrance I find to enjoying the game fully is not knowing what's going on w/ the CPs... since only the current front line flags are announced. It would be VERY nice if the loading-screen map (with the CP groups and attack-routes) were available in-game. It's hard to remember which flags will be in contention next (if, say, you wanted to stage by a back flag), and which flags are under OPFOR attack (if, say, you wanted to actually defend something). If it's not possible to give the overview map, maybe HQ could make announcements about which flags are in which state? Currently, I believe only "Attack here" announcements are made? What about adding a list of flags to be defended, and which flags are in the next group? (perhaps color code the text... flags needing defense in red, flags to attack in green, and future flags in yellow or something? <shrug>)

Another suggestion I'd like to make is that the "Move Here" and "Attack Here" and "Request Kit" locations on the Commo-Rose be rearranged according to their frequency of use... more frequent commands be put on-axis (12:00, 3:00, 6:00, and 9:00), and less used placed off-axis. Specifically, the "Request Kit" is only used once or maybe twice per spawn, yet it has the most prominent spot... consider sticking that in an off-axis corner. "Move Here" on the other hand should be used a LOT more frequently (I know I use it a lot more), and thus should get an easier to hit location - ideally in the center. It doesn't sound like much, but consider that as SL, it's not uncommon to use more "move here" waypoints than bullets! (If kit request does stay in the center, can we at least consider swapping the "Attack Here" and "Move Here" commands? Put "Move Here" at 12:00 and "Attack Here" at 2:00?)

Comment

Originally posted by WhiskeySix View Post
                            The biggest hindrance I find to enjoying the game fully is not knowing what's going on w/ the CPs... since only the current front line flags are announced. It would be VERY nice if the loading-screen map (with the CP groups and attack-routes) were available in-game. It's hard to remember which flags will be in contention next (if, say, you wanted to stage by a back flag), and which flags are under OPFOR attack (if, say, you wanted to actually defend something).
                            I agree that it can be a nightmare remembering the order of flags. How about printing off map overheads and putting them in plastic pockets? That way you not only have a visual reference, but you can use a dry-wipe pen and mark more complex SL / CO instructions than you would normally get.
                            BFCL TF2 league admin

Comment

Originally posted by WhiskeySix View Post

Another suggestion I'd like to make is that the "Move Here" and "Attack Here" and "Request Kit" locations on the Commo-Rose be rearranged according to their frequency of use... more frequent commands be put on-axis (12:00, 3:00, 6:00, and 9:00), and less used placed off-axis. Specifically, the "Request Kit" is only used once or maybe twice per spawn, yet it has the most prominent spot... consider sticking that in an off-axis corner. "Move Here" on the other hand should be used a LOT more frequently (I know I use it a lot more), and thus should get an easier to hit location - ideally in the center. It doesn't sound like much, but consider that as SL, it's not uncommon to use more "move here" waypoints than bullets! (If kit request does stay in the center, can we at least consider swapping the "Attack Here" and "Move Here" commands? Put "Move Here" at 12:00 and "Attack Here" at 2:00?)
                              Actually, along this topic "mine here" is more useful than "destroy here", IMHO.

Originally posted by Root View Post
                              I agree that it can be a nightmare remembering the order of flags. How about printing off map overheads and putting them in plastic pockets?
                              printing? What, you mean... like... on paper?! It's not THAT big a hindrance :icon_lol: :p

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X