No announcement yet.

Al Basrah is fine in moderation, but...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Al Basrah is fine in moderation, but...

...having 800+ tickets for each team at the start is a wee bit on the excessive side. This is the second time I've played on the TG server in the past few days and have had to quit due to Al Basrah playing at a pace that would require hours for the map to change.

Al Basrah is a fine map. It can be interesting. However, it is not interesting enough to spend two hours doing the same stuff over and over again when there are so many high-quality normal PR maps to be played.

Re: Al Basrah is fine in moderation, but...

I believe all PR maps at TG (as of Wednesday) are on a 90 minute timer, so whoever leads in tickets at that point is declared the victor. Is this not the case?

I actually like that Al Basrah tends to play out at length. With the assymetry of the weapons/kits between the two forces you can really get immersed in the battle however it unfolds. This map has an entirely different feel from anything I've experienced in the BF series, so I don't mind that it can last up to 90 minutes in duration.

Comment

Originally posted by Coridon View Post
      I believe all PR maps at TG (as of Wednesday) are on a 90 minute timer, so whoever leads in tickets at that point is declared the victor. Is this not the case?

I actually like that Al Basrah tends to play out at length. With the assymetry of the weapons/kits between the two forces you can really get immersed in the battle however it unfolds. This map has an entirely different feel from anything I've experienced in the BF series, so I don't mind that it can last up to 90 minutes in duration.
      Agreed. The battle unfolds slowly, but intensely. The fighting gradually moves into the city, and gets into really intense street to street fighting, complete with rooftop snipers, occupied buildings and .50 cal technical ambushes. A blast IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Foxoq View Post
        Agreed. The battle unfolds slowly, but intensely. The fighting gradually moves into the city, and gets into really intense street to street fighting, complete with rooftop snipers, occupied buildings and .50 cal technical ambushes. A blast IMO.
        30-45 minutes worth of fun, perhaps, in moderation. Certainly not 90 minutes each stretch. Two hours, like it was the previous time I played? That's ridiculous. Two hours worth of play and it STILL hadn't ended.

I suppose I'll just be bailing on the TG server and heading to other servers in the future if I see Basrah load up again with an 800+ ticket count.

Comment

I agree that it's a bit too long, but I haven't played the map much since it lags/hitches so much.

I only get 1-2 hours a night to play, and having this map take up so much time means I don't get to play the other maps.

TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran

Comment

I kind of like that it turns into such a long fight. Like Coridon said, it really immerses you in the fight. I think it's the best map in PR.

Comment

I usually don't have two hours in a row to play a video game, so I agree, it's a little long. That's been my only rub about PR is the amount of time it takes to get through a map.
              "No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.
              He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

- Attributed to General George Patton, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Coridon View Post

Amen!
                |TG-69th|Kevlar

"Oh I know I don't think I see what I see what I'm thinking."

Comment

I wish we could compromise, for example have the map shorter on weeknights and longer on weekends. I just started to play PR so maybe my opinion is not so important yet. :) And I have to confess I was a sceptic to this mod at first but after three days testing the mod I came to the opinion that I really liked what they have done in PR. So I plan to play it much more.

I do have the same issue as the previous poster with time on weekdays, its hard to get my wife accept me sitting 1.5 hour at a time. And you dont want to quit in the middle of a map.
                  |TG-Irr| Red

Comment

I was actually about to start a thread about this :)

I agree that while there is something to be said for letting a battle build slowly... who really has the time to sit down and spend 2hours on 1 map? Like most of you I come home from work and look to play for an hour or two at most... which becomes frustrating when the entire time I play is spent on one map. Whats the harm in reducing ticket counts for all maps so that each game could move just a little faster. Perhaps make the round time set at 45mins? The worst feeling is when youre stuck in your own spawn with little to no chance to make a push out with 400 tickets remaining... hell incarnate :)

Comment

Keep the feedback coming fellas. We want the rounds to be long enough to the battles can develop, yet short enough that people don't lose interest or teams get decimated for long periods of time.

We can always look at ways to adjust the round timer and ticket counts for various maps. It will take some time to get a good feel for each map and make adjustments.
                      |TG-12th| asch
                      sigpic

Comment

Agreed that 2+ hour maps are pretty ridiculous, especially given the current..."imperfections" of .5. I think 1 hour to 75 minutes of playtime on a map is plenty to let the action develop and play out. Even 2 hours on a map (during the week I too have 2 hours max on any given night to play) is overkill for me.
                        Beatnik

Comment

I'd say al Basra and many other maps are a bit long for me. More bleed could fix this though.

What I don't like is when a side gets all the way to the last flag of the opfor, but then it gets clogged, and somehow the game flips back out of boredom on th attacking side imo, and then it just keeps on going, while one team should have been declared victor much sooner.

However, many changes (among others to bleed) are going to happen in one or two days with the server patch. So I think it will be best to wait a little. Maybe tickets will be changed on al Basra by the admins tomorrow.

Comment

I love the long, drawn out games. Having all that time really lets you treat the game as a simulation.
                            BFCL TF2 league admin

Comment

Al basarah is fine as it is. Longer fights, means more intense battles. This map is the most fun out of any of them also.
                              |TG-Irr|TanithGhost
                              100 pixels height is too small people.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...