I could use some heli pilot tips

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I could use some heli pilot tips

For one, everytime I try to take off in a copter, it wants to roll to the side and I end up blowing the damn thing up on the pad, it's quite embarrassing. I'm using a logitech wingman 3d pro, and accoring the the program that came with it, it's all centered and calibrated and whatnot so I don't understand what's going on with it. I unbound the mouse from any axis controls having to do with pitchyawroll so I don't think that's what's going on unless is doesn't really unbind (I unbound tab for score and in-game if i hit tab, the damn scoreboard still comes up).

For two, I've noticed when I'm in the air (as a passenger), i cannot do enemy spotted hitting Q then the joystick trigger, even though it's set on fire just like mouse 1. Hopefully when I can take off by myself, I'd like to be able to spot targets for my teamates using the joystick, any hints on that?

For three, I've checked out some of the single player missions that came with PR and it doesn't appear that any of them have choppers to practice in. Are there any maps I can add to single player to practice without blowup assets on the TG server?

Argh

[Game rules, announcements, and SOPs ][ ][ ][ ]
    "The success of what we do depends upon people valuing the team over themselves."
    - Wulfyn

Re: I could use some heli pilot tips

I don't know about 2 & 3, but for 1, just in case you weren't already aware, you have to let the engines RPMs spin up to full power before you attempt to take off. Be sure to pull back on the stick to prevent any early forward motion before you get off the ground. Also, with the BH turning the chopper left or right around its axis (using the rudder/tail fan) is only possible in a hover or at very slow speeds. While in flight, banking left or right will "steer" the BH in those directions and rudder/tail fan course corrections have little effect.
    sigpic

Comment

I know the 160th/Irregulars ran a flying clinic yesterday, perhaps they'll do it again soon?

Comment

Originally posted by thebleakaffinity View Post
        I know the 160th/Irregulars ran a flying clinic yesterday, perhaps they'll do it again soon?
        All members of the 160th are required to instruct at helo training sessions as a condition of their membership. We're still setting up, but as soon as we're certified fit for operational duty we'll run a session. We are the CO's dedicated air unit, but as many players across the community as possible should have at least basic skills in all areas of the game.

In the mean time, perhaps eGoatboy might be persauded to do a repeat performance. That's entirely his call though.
        BFCL TF2 league admin

Comment

Originally posted by Silver View Post
          For one, everytime I try to take off in a copter, it wants to roll to the side and I end up blowing the damn thing up on the pad, it's quite embarrassing. I'm using a logitech wingman 3d pro, and accoring the the program that came with it, it's all centered and calibrated and whatnot so I don't understand what's going on with it. I unbound the mouse from any axis controls having to do with pitchyawroll so I don't think that's what's going on unless is doesn't really unbind (I unbound tab for score and in-game if i hit tab, the damn scoreboard still comes up).

For two, I've noticed when I'm in the air (as a passenger), i cannot do enemy spotted hitting Q then the joystick trigger, even though it's set on fire just like mouse 1. Hopefully when I can take off by myself, I'd like to be able to spot targets for my teamates using the joystick, any hints on that?

For three, I've checked out some of the single player missions that came with PR and it doesn't appear that any of them have choppers to practice in. Are there any maps I can add to single player to practice without blowup assets on the TG server?

Argh
          Go to multiplayer, create local, add the Muttrah City 64 player map.
          The hit the «~» key to bring up the console. Type the following commands:

«sv.startdelay 15» (sets the game start timer)
          «sv.numplayersneededtostart 1» (allows you to start the game alone)
          «sv.mandowntime 10» (sets spawn timer)

hit «~» again to close the console.

Spawn as US on the carrier deck, get your pilot kit and

Enjoy!

DB

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Comment

Hey thanks all. I finally got off the ground after letting the rotors spin up for a bit. I just waited. Is there any indication on the HUD when it's good to take off? I didn't notice anything that stood out.

Anyone know the secret to binding the joystick trigger to also function to click on the enemy spotted when using the Q-menu? Funny that the mouse fire button does but not joystick fire.

"The success of what we do depends upon people valuing the team over themselves."
            - Wulfyn

Comment

Is there any indication on the HUD when it's good to take off? I didn't notice anything that stood out.
              No, I just remember reading that you need to allow approximately 30 seconds before you're good-to-go. So I count to 30 and hope I don't get shot before then... ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Coridon View Post
                No, I just remember reading that you need to allow approximately 30 seconds before you're good-to-go. So I count to 30 and hope I don't get shot before then... ;)

One sure fire indication is when you hear the blades «bite».

DB

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Comment

Is there any indication on the HUD when it's good to take off? I didn't notice anything that stood out.
                  There's nothing on the HUD, but look for some slight (but noticable) forward movement once you're rotor is up to speed.
                  BFCL TF2 league admin

Comment

Hey thanks all. I finally got off the ground after letting the rotors spin up for a bit. I just waited. Is there any indication on the HUD when it's good to take off? I didn't notice anything that stood out.

Anyone know the secret to binding the joystick trigger to also function to click on the enemy spotted when using the Q-menu? Funny that the mouse fire button does but not joystick fire.
                    It's all auditory. You'll know that the RPMs are up to speed when, as others say, you hear the rotors begin to "bite" the air. You'll hear the engine "whine" spin up a couple of times and then the blades will begin to make their distinctive "THUMPATHUMPATHUMPA" sound, especially in the BH. It's safe to apply power with the collective at that point.
                    sigpic

Comment

OK thanks!

Hey to answer my own question about using the joystick for spotting purposes, I figured it out.

You have to bind the joy trigger not only to fire primary on the aerial sub settings but the main one as well, so now you can Q - trigger enemy spotted - wootness

Now that I've been up in the air, i have one more question. When i'm using the joystick there seems to be distincive lag in the responsiveness of the chopper. For example, I push forward and pretty soon i'm moving forward, usually too much, then if i pull back, it seems to take some time and usually ends up being too much. same thing left and right. Especially when I try to land, jesus, I look like I'm flying in a bowl going in circles trying to compensate for previous movements. Is there some sweet setting to get the chopper to respond well to the joystick that anyone has found to be good?

- Wulfyn

Comment

You'll find that the choppers in PRM, especially the Blackhawk with its new handling characteristics and I would assume the other heavy transport choppers as well, are quite a bit more touchy. Very slight movements may result in large arcs of motion at high rates of speed, especially if you over correct.

I'm not sure that there is a sweet spot in one's settings that would work well for a chopper like the BH without making the other vehicles harder to use. It'll boil down to personal preference in most cases, I should think.

Remember that the using the rudder to pivot the BH around its central axis (yaw) can only be done effectively while in hover or at very, very slow speeds. At high speeds, the rudder has almost no effect. The way to turn the BH when in motion is to bank it in the desired direction.
                        sigpic

Comment

The warm-up is best recognized by sound, as mentioned before. Also I don't know if it was stressed, you don't need full throttle/collective to move like in vanilla or earliers version of PR. You can hover at 0% and move quite effectively. You only need it when you need to climb or get out of somewhere in a hurry.
                          |TG-12th| tHa_KhAn

XBL GT: Khan58

Comment

Originally posted by tHa_KhAn View Post
                            The warm-up is best recognized by sound, as mentioned before. Also I don't know if it was stressed, you don't need full throttle/collective to move like in vanilla or earliers version of PR. You can hover at 0% and move quite effectively. You only need it when you need to climb or get out of somewhere in a hurry.
                            Exactly. The BHs movements are pretty touchy when you are at 100% throttle. However, let the throttle button go and try turning it, it will make a slight and gentle turn, good to maneuver when landing on non-hostile territory.

If you are at hostile territory, your best shot is to figure out where you wanna land while you're still flying, face it like it is a runway, point the nose down and, as you get close to the ground, put the nose up. You'll make a dive and then land, and this can be done in seconds by a trained pilot. However, create your own server to pratice this, otherwise you'll nose down a lot on the pubbies, and people will be really mad at you, huhu!

Best places to make landings are at streets on urban maps and at clearings/farms on forest maps.

Also, try to master flying the BlackHawk before you try to fly the Little Birds. I fly helos since Desert Combat. I can fly a BlackHawk pretty well already on PR, but sometimes I still screw up with the Little Bird (or should I say Little Bastard? =P)
                            |TG-69th|Kevlar

"Oh I know I don't think I see what I see what I'm thinking."

Comment

Does anyone agree with me that if the ground is not 100 % flat like a street, you should NOT land?

On "road to kyangonyi" or whatever it is called, everytime I land somewhere, I tip over. There is no straight piece of land on the map nearly, even most roads. I am unable to see the small bumps in the terrain from above, but when I land I tip over and blow up.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X