flying

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• flying

Man is it just me or is flying in PR hard as heck? I'd love to get good at flying the Blackhawk but I don't want to try and practice on a full server, any hope of having a "practice day" where those of us that want to try new things can do so without ruining the mission?

I tried flying again last night and made it almost 20 meters before I crashed and killed my entire squad......

Re: flying

We had a TGU practice session for helos just this past weekend. Maybe we'll have another one sometime soon.

In the pursuit of... something.

Comment

backlash, you can setup a local server game with a helo heavy map (al-basrah, muttrah or oman). When in game open the console and type sv.numplayersneededtostart 1 so you can request the pilot kit. Make sure you are in a squad as well or else the kit will not show up.

Comment

Originally posted by aculle01 View Post
        backlash, you can setup a local server game with a helo heavy map (al-basrah, muttrah or oman). When in game open the console and type sv.numplayersneededtostart 1 so you can request the pilot kit. Make sure you are in a squad as well or else the kit will not show up.
        That kicks butt!! Thanks!!!!

Comment

Ok I must be stupid. I got a game started (thanks aculle), made a squad, have the kit, in the chopper...... now I can't control the damn thing. I callibrated my joystick, everything works etc...

When the rotors get up to speed (I can hear the "huey" noise from the rotors and she gets light on the skids) I try to go forward and hit the tarmac or I pull up and end up going in reverse (there are several buildings back there) and get killed. It's so bad that I have to wait for a kit because I die so fast or I have to wait for a helo to respawn. Don't even get me started on the Apache. I can fly the A10 OK but that will do no good for my squad.

any pointers on helo operation??

Comment

First off you need to wait for your 30-40 sec engine warm up. After that it isn't all that hard kind of like vanilla but a little harder. I'd be gald to help anyone learn to fly if you need some lessons. just drop me a PM

The hungry, ignorant man immediately grasps that he is handed a fish, but is bewildered when handed a net. The man who shivers in the cold thinks happily of the man who invites him to sit by his fire, and somewhat poorly of the man who loans him an axe, flint and steel.

Comment

I had an incredibly hard time learning to fly in PRM (ask Lorian). Try starting out in the Little Bird. It is much easier to control. You have to wit for the rotors to spin up by listening to the sounds they make as they "cut" through the air. It should take around 30 seconds. Once they have spun up I apply Torque but no forward. It takes around 1/2 to "unstick".
              Retired 6th DB

Comment

Originally posted by Wimpinator View Post
                I had an incredibly hard time learning to fly in PRM (ask Lorian).
                Hehe, it's true. ;)
                |TG| Lorian
                Member since 18th February 2006

Comment

It appears to me (on the ground) that helicopters are violating Newtonian laws of motion while in the air.

Comment

"That's b/c they're so ugly, the ground repels them." ~old saying by fixed wing jockeys.

Games: GRAW, BF2142, Oblivion, FarCry, Empire At War, R6:RVS, KotOR, KotOR2, MW4: Mercs, FEAR (XP)

*Hiss* "Oh...crap!" *BLAM* "I'm down....MEDIC!!"

DirtyLude: "If we kill him and eat his heart, his magic will be ours."

Comment

Originally posted by Wimpinator View Post
                      I apply Torque but no forward.
                      How do you apply torque? I've got my throttle setting on 100% and finally figured out how to get it off the ground, I have to wait for the bird to "lift" herself off the flight line, but I'm not sure how to apply anything but throttle as far as engine control goes.

Comment

Helicopters and propeller driven aircraft use torque to measure the amount of power produced by their engine. When you want to increase your altitude or speed you have to increase your power. In the cockpit of a helicopter, this increase in power is noticed on your torquemeter. Thus, you are adjusting torque rather than throttle. In fact, technically you are only using a "throttle" if you are directly controlling the fuel flow with the movement of your PCL.

wimpinator is simply telling you to increase power without adjusting your pitch when taking off.

Comment

Originally posted by aculle01 View Post
                          Helicopters and propeller driven aircraft use torque to measure the amount of power produced by their engine. When you want to increase your altitude or speed you have to increase your power. In the cockpit of a helicopter, this increase in power is noticed on your torquemeter. Thus, you are adjusting torque rather than throttle. In fact, technically you are only using a "throttle" if you are directly controlling the fuel flow with the movement of your PCL.

wimpinator is simply telling you to increase power without adjusting your pitch when taking off.
                          What he said ;)

When you throttle up the bird will move forward a bit. Make sure that there isn't anything directly in front of you.
                          Retired 6th DB

Comment

The 160th will be teaching some helo classes in the future I believe?...
                            Primary: IntelAgent (Planetside 2)
                            Light Assault, Reconnaissance, Intel Collection

Comment

Originally posted by Fallosophy View Post
                              The 160th will be teaching some helo classes in the future I believe?...
                              Man I hope so... I need it.

I did okay in regular BF2 and even pretty well in Armed Assault...I assumed the worst and created a transport squad on Muttrah, hoping to work with command to effectivly break the MEC stranglehold on Docks. I made it to the city (barely) twice and crashed with a full load twice. Quickly I resigned from the squad and sheepisly asked all for forgiveness.

I've got to do what Aculle recommends and get some real flying time in.
                              sigpic
                              |TG-1st|Grunt
                              ARMA Admin (retired)
                              Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed