APC/Infantry Support

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• APC/Infantry Support

After having done some testing with the squad helo insertion, I want to try my hand at infantry squad supported by a dedicated apc. Any tips/advice would be welcome.

1 Question on at how many hits does it take to take out an apc with light and heavy at.

If any one would like to join me tonight I'll be starting and APC/INF squad tonight around 6 pm cst.

Re: APC/Infantry Support

APC imo is one of the most challenging roles in PR to play properly.

Most APC driver either:

- drive into battle guns a blazing, rarely last more than 1-2 minutes

- drive up to a hiding spot and jump out, abandoning the vehicle and having it used as a spawn point for the team.

Both of these 'tactics' really shorthand the true power an APC has.

The main threat to an APC is Heavy AT and light AT. 1 HEavy AT usually destroys an APC, but you get a warning light. And only 2 Light AT to take out an APC.

SO therefore you must be extremely cautious.

The way I have found to properly play an APC, and this is MOST important, is have a dedicated infantry squad attached to your APC. I dont mean some guys in your squad as infantry, I mean an ENTIRELY different squad who stay with you. So get someone you know to be squad leader, and he will be attached to your APC. Now you are a squad leader and he is a squad leader, so his squad will follow him and you can support him. If your in the APC and you have infantry, its very difficult to command them, because your position in the APC prevents you from leading your troops effectively.

Forming the Squad - If at all possible, have your APC squad work with another APC. So you have 2 x driver, 2 x gunner. Lock the squad, DO NOT have infantry in the squad. If you want to have a full squad, have the remaining squad members be engineers and keep at a safe distance in a repair vehicle or in a standard jeep, and be ready with the repairs. They can cover your back and watch the directions your not looking at.

Attacking - Your role is primarily to transport your troops to an objective and let them out a safe distance from the objective (minimum 100 meters). You DO NOT want to let them out under fire, this does not help your infantry whatsoever. They do not want to jump out and immediately get shot at, things will go to **** really quickly and this is really demoralizing. Once your infantry have got out, you let them get their formation in order, which should be IN FRONT of your APC, anywhere from 50-100 meters. You can advance with them or take up a firing position and have your gunner cover them with the supeior zoom. BE SURE to spot targets. If you get AT threats, make sure to spot that as something unique (enemy boat or enemy sniper usually is a good choice) so that way your infantry know what is a high priority target). If you get hit once by light AT, get out of there! Dont risk your APC as its your infantrys spawn point and ammo/kit request location. you are extremely valueable and need to stay alive!

Getting Ambushed - depending on what attacked you, you should pull back a bit, let your troops out, and then wait for your troops to move in front of you before advancing on the ambushers. If the ambushers have heavy AT, you must get FAR AWAY as quickly as possible!

Defense - Have your infantry form a perimeter around the CP, and you may patrol the perimeter. If any AT shoots at you, immediately retreat back into safety and have you infantry deal with the attacking force. You are there to patrol the perimeter for snipers and ground troops, but DO NOT engage any AT threats let the infantry handle that. Also you are your squads primary defense against incoming enemy jeeps.

CQB - Under no circumstances is your APC to go into a CQB situation where you have little or no infantry support. CQB = Death for you APC, there is way too many places the enemy can hide with AT. You must have an established infantry defense force in a CQB environment before even considering entering that area, and even then should be extremely cautious. in CQB if you get hit by AT, there is not many places to run. In the open terrain, there is always an easy escape route and a safe place to find repairs. Open terrain is an APCs friend, unless dealing with Heavy AT or tanks.

Ill write more about this later, maybe Ill make a guide. To me, APC is the most tactically rewarding and most challenging role in PR. To do it well, requires extreme attention to detail, complex coordination between driver, gunner and infantry squads, and an excellent understanding of tactics and situational awareness.

Comment

I also love the APCs power in PR. But the key is to use it as support not attack and have plenty of infantry to protect you. This actually also applies to the tanks which is awesome with infantry support.
      |TG-Irr| Red

Comment

I'll give a good example.

I was in Al Basra on usmc and I was getting frustrated because all squads kept attacking from north.

So I made a defence squad, grabbed an apc and parked behind a little hill north west of north cp.

I had just calvin in my squad as infantry. With the zoom on the apc they had little chance of hitting me back since they could only shoot at the topf the apc with their crappy rockets. They also had to go through nvcp to get to me.

We were holding that flag with a 2 man squad and passers-by. Where previously we kept losing flags with a full squad, because no-one at all was defending conquered flags.

By that time I had kept the apc alive longer then any other apc in that game.

Then I got kicked for a SM, spent some time offline, and after 1& to 15 min I reconnected. I came into the same squad I started, and sure enough, although no one bothered to man it at that time !?, the APC was still at the same safe spot, and we still had the same flag.

Then the SL's changed (calvin left after some time) and the squad went off attacking again:(.

Apc's should die only once or twice around. I've done it many times. All you need is restraint.

Comment

Oh man I was sitting here reading the posts thinking "man that ones guys post is genious!" didn't realize it was just you fuzzhead =P

APCs have zoom so you should be using it! You should be about 50-100 meters from the flag depending on the flag, sitting back there supporting troops moving in.

Comment

Originally posted by Riki_Rude_BTYC View Post
            Oh man I was sitting here reading the posts thinking "man that ones guys post is genious!" didn't realize it was just you fuzzhead =P

APCs have zoom so you should be using it! You should be about 50-100 meters from the flag depending on the flag, sitting back there supporting troops moving in.

exactamundo

Comment

Excellent thread, and great post.

For pick-up and play games I recommend the following if there is only one A.P.C on the map:

crewmenX2
              MedicX1
              Combat EngineerX1

Squad Leader is a Crewmen. Driver would be a good position (most of the time the A.P.C. will not be on the move.)

As the driver the SL: Keeps an eye on the H.U.D. and gives the green light for the gunner to open fire on locations.
              Example: SL: "looks like we have no friendlies or friendly rally points to the South of the Government Building, shoot anything you see.
              SL: "Yeah, it looks like we have an assault going on Fishing Village, Shoot up the high ground and around the flag orb."
              SL sees friendlies get near the flag. "O.K, stop firing gunner, friendlies are in our kill zone.

Driver also: watches the front positions of the tank.
              As the SL, look out for team chat, you may be needed somewhere.
              Also, if no CO, keep an eye on the overall battle and support where needed.

Driver tips

1. When you slow down to let someone out, give them a couple of seconds to request their kit. Do not let them out then bolt.

2. Do not slow down for friendly infantry who cross the road in front of you. They need to look both ways before crossing.

___

Gunner tips:

1. Save ammo. Do not fire off your rounds to tell the SL to move.

2. Press your smoke button to use the zoom.

3. Put down a few rounds of fire down where the enemy may be. The splash damage is great, do not wait to you see them, shoot spots where they may be. i.e. where they may poke their head around and fire off a AT round.

4. I do not know how to get the HEAT round to work, need help on this.

___
              Combat Engineer.

You perform many actions for the Platoon.
              Your primary objective is to keep the A.P.C. fully functional.
              Secondary would be to lay mines and blow stuff up.
              Tertiary would be to help tanks or other vehicles fully functional if near by.
              Fourth would be to help out with an assault or defense on a flag if A.P.C. is behind nice cover.

Tips

1. Your the best wrench on the team. You repair the tanks better than the crewmen.

2. You are the only kit out of the default kits (7) that can drive the support jeep. This jeep can repair the A.P.C. even faster/better than your wrench, nice.
              Keep in mind that a tank team may want this, so do not hog it.

3. You’re the platoon’s demolitions guy. The A.P.C. is well stocked with C4 so you're good to go on destroying stuff. Just think first about blowing stuff up. When in doubt ask your squad leader.

4. You carry two mines at a time, but you can lay up to 8 mines total. The ninth one will replace the first one you dropped. Good mine placement can cover the six of the A.P.C. from tanks. As with the C4, think before you place them down in choke points.

5. Found some claymores that are the enemies? Deactivate them by going behind them with the wrench. Just be sure they are not friendly claymores. Again, ask the SL when in doubt and if there is nothing major going on.

_
              Medic

If there was ever a platoon medic, your that guy.

You will be located inside the A.P.C. and watching out the rear door sight.
              This will allow you to alert the crewmen if friendly or foe is behind them.

Your primary thing is to stay in the A.P.C. and let the wounded come to you. This will of course vary upon the battlefield conditions. Sometimes you may need to go to them.

When mobile, keep an eye out for team chat. The driver will be busy watching the road.

You will need to keep an eye out for other medics in the platoon. If a squad has a medic, do not worry about that squad. If a squad does not, you can ask your SL to support them. Many variables will determine the answer.

Tips:

1. Heal your comrades inside the A.P.C. by making it your own M.A.S.H. station.

2. When supporting the Infantry on foot, stay back and let their medic react first. No since in having two medics run to the same dude. Wait, stay back, and asses. Also, stay with the Combat Engineer if supporting the Infantry.

3. Supplement with smoke. Do not throw smoke first when doing an assault. Let the grunts make that call. Also, use good judgment here, you may need yours later.

____

Questions:

1. How do you get the HEAT round to work in the A.P.C.
              2. Does the support jeep also replenish ammo for the A.P.C.
              (PO3) Marcinko_R. (BF2 PR .509) Squad Member
              (CPO) Marcinko_R. (BF2 PR .509) Squad Leader
              (LCDR) Marcinko_R. (BF2 PR .509) Commander

Squad Member pledge to their SL:
              Squad Leader pledge to their team:
              Commander pledge to their SL:

Comment

Just got some testing with this tonight and found it to be highley effective. As long as you have a driver with some restrant and good squad communications.

Comment

great comments there rick!!! agree with all of them, hell I never even thought about making APC a mobile MASH station that is very cool idea :)

Pressing 1 you will load Armor Piercing rounds (default). Pressing 2 will load HEAT rounds. there is a pause between loading the 2 rounds. If you run out, you need to press R to reload.

Support Jeep repair rate is very slow, but it DOES supply ammo. How it resupplies is it resupplies your 'backup compartment' with ammo. So it does not give you ammo like each round, it gives you a restock on your backup reload.

At this time unforunately you cannot re-stock your smoke supply, so once you fire off all 4 smoke, you are out for good. this is a bug.

Comment

Originally posted by fuzzhead View Post
                    great comments there rick!!! agree with all of them, hell I never even thought about making APC a mobile MASH station that is very cool idea :)

Pressing 1 you will load Armor Piercing rounds (default). Pressing 2 will load HEAT rounds. there is a pause between loading the 2 rounds. If you run out, you need to press R to reload.

Support Jeep repair rate is very slow, but it DOES supply ammo. How it resupplies is it resupplies your 'backup compartment' with ammo. So it does not give you ammo like each round, it gives you a restock on your backup reload.

At this time unforunately you cannot re-stock your smoke supply, so once you fire off all 4 smoke, you are out for good. this is a bug.

Thanks champ.

Useing the O'Clock system to call out targets to your gunner works well.

__

Sadly, I have failed time and time again on getting the Sabot and Heat round to work on freshly spawned APCs.

Is there a delay, or does one need to hold the given key for sometime.

I may have blanked around with my key bindings and screwed something up.

__

Others I have played with and were my gunners do not know how to use it also.
                    Could I have a special ed explanation on this?

Comment

see the team assests and limited kit etiq... thread for the next model of APC support.

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/battlef...iquette-2.html

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse