Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• defence, defence, defence!

Defend more people!

Currently most squads still keep going on attack in aasv2 all the time. Even a lot of tg squads will happily attack all round, while berating the rest of the team for not defending.

I recommend all forum visitors to re-examine aasv2 dynamics and adjust behaviour.

I will add an ideal aasv2 strategy which goes for all maps a part from falluja.
    Inspiration will be general Patton; his famous quote says you keep the enemy occupied on the front lines, and then sneak up and kick em in the but.

Now many TG use this principle in suppression and flanking on squad level. I propose it on a team level for aasv2.

What you want to do imo is keep all squads divided over the flags the enemy can cap currently. That means AT LEAST TWO SQUADS DEFENDING EVERY CP that can be capped.

so don't move out when you see a squad defending, because you are the second squad defending that CP!

In most cases only one, not necessarily full squad can infiltrate and cap a flagif it is in the next flag group .

No what has this to do with Patton? The thing is when you have say 4 full squads defending 2 cps, and a small squad attacking the next flag group, THE MORE THE DEFENDING SQUADS HOLD BACK, THE MORE CHANCE THE ATTACKING SQUAD HAS OF PUNCHING THROUGH THE LINES AND FINDING THE FLAG EASILY DEFENDED!

Sorry for caps but we need a change badly on this. The inverse of my plan, is having 2 to 3 squads zerging at any time, and this is what usually all squads do.

The whole zerg thing is VERY bad:
    - No-one is defending
    - An infiltrating attacking force will find it almost impossible to punch through the inevitable opfor zerg attack.
    - Only against a worthless opponent will this tactic work
    - Inevitably, at some point the enemy will Patton you, and you will start losing all your flags i quick succession with your zerg force stuck on the wrong side of the map.

An additional rule of thumb: When you cap a cp, stay there UNTIL THE FIRST FLAG OF THE NEXT CONTROL GROUP IS NOT GREY, BUT HAS GONE UP FOR YOU.

This is also the ideal moment to use a chopper insertion, and choppers should be saved for these precious moments! Now you have many squads that can use a pick-up from an uncontested flag to the next flag you have to attack. Inserting a whole squad near the next flag at this point in the game will in 90% of the cases get you that flag, because defenders haven't gotten time to set up there.

I don't see why people want to attack so much. When I'm defending I see just as much action. Only I get a lot more kills usually and can fight the enemy on my own terms.

So in short the strategy is to DEFEND AND INFILTRATE. Defend contested flags with main force, creating the opportunity for ONE squad to infiltrate to the next CP group.

Re: defence, defence, defence!

brilliant ^^^

Let me get this straight.... You're suggesting we allow the front line (and thus most of the OPFOR troops) to exist back by our OWN heavily defended flags... basically inviting them to fight on our terms (an entrenched defense always has the advantage). The beautiful side effect of this is that it reduces the number of OPFOR troops in the rear, allowing one squad to slip past and cap the enemy's largely undefended back flag?

Comment

Preposterous!

btw...are there any good online resources showing the progression of flag capping? I ask because there's no easy way of looking at the map to determine which of your cp's are in need of defense.
      | | |

Comment

We need the next version of PR for this. I was told that we will see what flags we should defend and attack in the next version.
        |TG-Irr| Red

Comment

Originally posted by Atomic Dog View Post
          Preposterous!

btw...are there any good online resources showing the progression of flag capping? I ask because there's no easy way of looking at the map to determine which of your cp's are in need of defense.
          Until 0.6 comes out, you can look at the map-loading info from your PC. The map with the CP order is in your BF2 install directory... for example:

C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Battlefield 2\mods\pr\levels\albasrah\info\gpm_cq_64_menuMap.p ng

Comment

I completely agree, and this is a very valid strategy. I've attempted to use this strategy a couple of times as CO - and it's worth pointing out that a CO is essential to this operation at least until the next PR version comes out - the strategy works.

The main limitations to this strategy are in maintaining the front line so that

a) it spans the correct flags - if the AAS sequence changes, the line must be moved quickly
            b) it cannot allow enemy forces to flank (in other words, don't let the enemy run the same strategy on you)

AASv2 is tough, but I like it.

Comment

Originally posted by WhiskeySix View Post
              Until 0.6 comes out, you can look at the map-loading info from your PC. The map with the CP order is in your BF2 install directory... for example:

C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Battlefield 2\mods\pr\levels\albasrah\info\gpm_cq_64_menuMap.p ng
              Actually, this won't be the case for all maps after the server match. However, either the PR players guide or TG will put together a list of all maps online.
              |TG-12th| asch
              sigpic

Comment

Good post Al. I love defending and it's so under appreciated in this mod right now.

I was squad leading on the USMC the other night on Ejod with only 1 TGer besides myself. We brought up an APC to suppress from the rear while we defended one of the last bases stll up. The driver of the APC says let's attack with the APC...I say no and explain my rationale...He says "pussy squad" and leaves promptly. No problem, good riddance...except the other guys are of the same mind set and want to push push push...I do my best to reign them in and hold th line.

Later...

APC is destroyed and I have two crewman bring up tank to support on defense of an important point. I mark the map and they go in the opposite direction, supporting another squad who is going on the attack while my defending squad is getting ripped apart...At that point, frustrated and not really willing to step it up to an admin, I go command and try to bring order to chaos. USMC is down to it's last three flags...you know the one at the edge of the city, then the bunkers in the middle of the desert and then main. Map is narrow at the edge of the city so my strategy is to pull everyone back, form a unified front line and then push foward slowly together. I start issuing defensive markers for squad leaders and some of the squads respond by pulling back and establishing their portion of the line. However--a couple of them are asking 'Defense?? why Defense?" I explain my plan to mostly muted silence (but they did fall in...) and order it's implmentation...Well by that time the timer or the points ran out and round ended...very frustrated and vowed to only command when I knew lots of tg'ers were leading....My point...and I do have one...is that Al is on target citing that offensive tendencies far outweigh defensive ones. Veteran TG'ers unite...pick up the control chair and start implementing your defensive plan.
                sigpic
                |TG-1st|Grunt
                ARMA Admin (retired)
                Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Long ago I decide never to CO unless I see three SLs that I KNOW are good and have at least four men each. There are exceptions, but no amount of bringing in Admins will help the worst of such situations. Command order cannot be brought to a game without a sufficient number of SLs who know the value (and fun) of a good defense.
                  sigpic

Comment

Defense? I've heard of this elusive animal but only seen it when I am lucky enough to get in with some 1st guys. Most of the time I just run and kill and we all know that killing the enemy on thier own ground is no way to win a war. We have to come together and keep those rocks guarded!

Just kidding guys. I do really really enjoy playing defensive (with the 1st) because I know when we dig in somewhere to defend that that flag isn't going back into enemy hands unless they plan on losing droves of troops trying to dislodge us.

Comment

I for one love to defend. Given an order from the commander (or SL if I'm slummin' it as a squad member), I'll gladly defend a point or even just an important position. Some of the best fun I've had in PR came from a round of Ejod when the commander needed my squad to hold the outlying village ruins to the northwest of the city.

Plus I die less.
                      If you're the last man standing, you weren't trying hard enough.

Comment

I agree

The hungry, ignorant man immediately grasps that he is handed a fish, but is bewildered when handed a net. The man who shivers in the cold thinks happily of the man who invites him to sit by his fire, and somewhat poorly of the man who loans him an axe, flint and steel.

Comment

Originally posted by BrotherCaptain Gaius View Post
                          I for one love to defend. Given an order from the commander (or SL if I'm slummin' it as a squad member), I'll gladly defend a point or even just an important position. Some of the best fun I've had in PR came from a round of Ejod when the commander needed my squad to hold the outlying village ruins to the northwest of the city.

Plus I die less.
                          Couldn't agree more.
                          Defense is under-rated, and if done well, can tear big, wet, meaty holes in the enemy. It is also a bit of an ego boost when part of a dynamic defense that drops the hammer on an otherwise capable assault force.

TG'ers use defense a heck of a lot more than vanilla servers though, which has been nice to see.

Comment

Excellent post there Al. Zerg is bad...very bad...very very bad.

Comment

Agreed -- would like to see this double defense tactic in action one of these nights!
                              sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X