No announcement yet.

So you want to play in a 1stMIP squad?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So you want to play in a 1stMIP squad?

Some new faces playing with us tonight utterly frustrated me by not putting any effort to follow our team procedures.

Please tell me how hard it is to follow this simple one: "Bob...John is your fire team leader...follow him all the time"

Bob forms on John... A minute later, Bob is 100 m away, occupied with a mission he set for himself. No matter how many times you remind, it doesnt matter.

Now lets give a positive spin to this post.

1) If you join a 1stMIP squad, here are the most basic procedures you are expected to follow:

a) Dont change your assigned kit

b) Follow your fire team leader (FTL) from the start to the end of the round, after every single respawn. FTL leads the way, fire team members follow from behind. That's how we stay cohesive. FTL decides what, where and when to fight. This is the only way to coordinate. Too restrictive or not fun for your taste? Sorry but this is the way we play. We are not forcing you to play with us. If you choose to, then cooperate and put some effort to plug in.

c) Keep your radio (VOIP) use minimum if you are not a FTL. SL and FTLs need VOIP to coordinate fire teams.

2) Dont be surprised if you are removed from the squad in case you fail to follow these basic procedures. I can remind them once or twice but I have no patience to say the same thing million times.

Feel free to pm anyone of us to reserve a slot or get together for training/practice. We are here to share our tactical gaming experience with other community members and offer a certain type of playing style.
    Last edited by John CANavar; 03-04-2007, 03:57 AM.

Re: So you want to play in a 1stMIP squad?

I saw a 1st MIP squad open the other day and contemplated joining it because I love you guys' organized approach and tactics, but I wasn't sure what the protocol regarding non-1st MIP members was.

I was wondering, though, what happens if fire team members simply get separated through no fault of their own? It happened to my squad during that round of Ghost Train (where BigGaayAl commanded), where myself and another, despite both being medics (I picked up a fallen medic's kit and helped keep the team there longer than we otherwise would have) we were eventually whittled down and killed, resulting in four of the squad way back at our rally, fighting enemies at North Bridge while we two survivors tried to hold South. Being constantly engaged, we had no viable means of reforming on the SL, and this continued for a good 5 minutes, perhaps more. How is this sort of situation handled?
    Last edited by BrotherCaptain Gaius; 03-04-2007, 06:59 AM. Reason: Grammar
    If you're the last man standing, you weren't trying hard enough.

Comment

Getting separated happens, of the 1st MIPers it probably happens to me the most. Its how you get separated that matters. There are cases when you are the lone survivor of an engagement. This of course is understandable and your job is to give a sitrep to your FTL and he will give you an order or defer to the SL for what you should do. Sometimes its "Stay put, help out and kill as many as you can" others "We need you for the current objective, break contact and make it to this point". The problem is when you start going off on your own without telling anyone. If you think you can destroy a RP or take out a bridge, suggest it to your FTL and more often then not he will clear you. You do however need to make every effort to rejoin the squad unless told otherwise. Your duty is to the squad first and the team second so every attempt to regroup as ordered must be made.

If you continually spawn at the wrong spawn point, go off chasing the action, can't follow orders and play outside of your role (leading an assault as a medic) then you are not in the right squad. If you follow orders and remain in your role then you should be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by aculle01 View Post
        Your duty is to the squad first and the team second so every attempt to regroup as ordered must be made.
        Some words of wisdom I think all of us should take to heart. No matter what kind of squad your in, if your not working with the rest of your squad toward the same objective, it just isn't going to work.
        |TG-33rd|Dark_Viper

Comment

Originally posted by Dark Viper View Post
          Some words of wisdom I think all of us should take to heart. No matter what kind of squad your in, if your not working with the rest of your squad toward the same objective, it just isn't going to work.
          Who are you and what have you done with Dark Viper?

Burning spies is cool.

Comment

It is all in the Bollocking gentlemen (use responsibily), i am sorry to put it so rudely, but you quite simply just have to be stearn with all players!

I totaly understand the issues being raised by John CANavar and i am extremely gratefull to see a few of the major areas clarified, particularly around the use of fireteams.
            I am also aware of the significant complexity around fireteam usage and i do believe that becuase fireteams require more organization, Squad Leaders must be willing to provide greater explantions and instructions to players (especially newer ones).

However after using fireteams on numerous occations, with "random" players, i have found that most players, generally listen well and are willing to learn. Therefore if enough instructions are provided, the number of problems connected with fireteam organiztion, like ones mentioned in orginal post are very low and the few, can be resolved simply by a VOIp reminder of two.

SO overall, it is a combination of both patience and commitement to fully explain/communicate new ideas from the "pro" players AND, what it appears many many tactical gamer players already do, post simple/clear advise and information on this forum - on the road to success or possibly over half way their, congrats!

TG-E1st TacticalGamer European Division |

Comment

I witnessed John.C stuggling with a fireteam last night while he was Sargent of FT Alpha under my command. John.C handled the situation as best as one could, and perhaps showed more patience then was warranted. It was a rare situation involving an individual who was not quite on the ball. Usually individuals not comfortable with precise discipline and a high level of teamwork leave a 1stMIP squad very quickly.

It is our stated purpose to help train those new to TG in the culture of the Tactical Gamer community (as other TG 'platoons' also do), and with the rare exception of our training night, Sunday, we go out of our way to make room for new people in our squad. When our squad is lock, it is because of our Sunday night training, or because we wish to ensure that a FT member will be able to rejoin in the event of a program crash.

You can always request to join in via contacting us on TS or via ingame chat. Note that the SL may be in the dedicated 1stMIP teamspeak channel (which is not locked with a password).

Also, it has been my experience that the vast majority of non-TGers that join in on a general TG squad or a 1stMIP squad do their best to follow orders and very frequently expresss appreciation for good command structure, clarity of objectives/orders, and good gameplay.

Intelligent individuals of all ages are looking for a better gaming culture and Tactical Gamer delivers it.

We have something that I am not sure exists to such an extent anywhere else in the BF2 universe.
              sigpic

Comment

May i ask how TG players only (for high TS usage mainly) meet together for games?

Are there specific days for such, times, events. Becuase i am looking for a chance to take part in some of the many different fireteam ideas suggested here (by TG) members, both extremely similar to some of my own.

So, effectively, when it comes to pre-planned organized play by TG members, how is it done?

Comment

Originally posted by BrotherCaptain Gaius View Post
                  I saw a 1st MIP squad open the other day and contemplated joining it because I love you guys' organized approach and tactics, but I wasn't sure what the protocol regarding non-1st MIP members was.
                  You and others are always welcome to join Gaius. If you see the squad locked, it is to reserve the slot of a squad member who disconnected or team switched. We keep the slot for couple of minutes for the squad members. Otherwise it would be constant roster change and explaining procedures all over again.

I was wondering, though, what happens if fire team members simply get separated through no fault of their own?
                  Just like Aculle said it happens. But it is never a problem for a player who have determination to stay cohesive with his fire team. Communicate with your FTL. You may be ordered to engage, stay there and observe or break contact and fall back depending on SL's plan.

The problem is when we all spawn on SL or RP and fire team members dont pay any attention to who their FTL is. They just run to a marker put by SL or start engaging left and right.

A fire team member must immediately find his FTL and form on his back (so that he can see where fire team is going). Many public players think they will not get any kills from the backside. First, if score and kills are your concern, 1stMIP is the wrong team. Second, I get best K/D ratios almost always from the back side. Pointman gets enemy fire first which will give you a chance to eliminate while they are focused on someone else.

Excellent point by Aculle about your duty priority. I will extend it more:

Your duty is to the fire team first, squad second and the team third.

It doesnt matter what you are doing (eliminating enemy, destroying RPs, saving world), if you leave your fire team, you are doing wrong ! Fire team is your family. You kill together, you die together. Feel that connection and you will see a whole different dimension to gaming.

Top Cat AJA,

Welcome to TG mate. When I saw your fire teams thread on PR forums I thought you would enjoy it here very much. Looking forward to some great discussions and gaming sessions we will have together. Agree with you on patience and willingness to show/teach.

Last night was unusual like E-male said. Usually new faces fit right in. Sometimes it takes only one explanation, sometimes a couple. We dont mind giving these instructions even though they cost us (losing a flag, losing ground to enemy). What frustrated me was to see that some players still do what they think right in a completely independent manner even after repeated reminders. They fail to understand that there is only one squad leader (the boss), one alpha leader (mini-boss) and two alpha members as long as chain of command for alpha is concerned. Play your role and we will succeed.

If you know 1stMIP SOPs, you can even lead one of our squads. We dont mind which role we are playing. Because if fire teams and squad work together, result becomes a collective effort. Every role has a significant part in it.
                  Last edited by John CANavar; 03-04-2007, 03:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Top Cat AJA View Post
                    May i ask how TG players only (for high TS usage mainly) meet together for games?

Are there specific days for such, times, events. Becuase i am looking for a chance to take part in some of the many different fireteam ideas suggested here (by TG) members, both extremely similar to some of my own.

So, effectively, when it comes to pre-planned organized play by TG members, how is it done?
                    As far as BF2 at TG is concerned, there are two types of pre-planned events:

1) Scrims (a lot of organization and planning go into this)

2) In-house unit activities (Ex. Sunday evenings are official 1stMIP meeting days)

I guess I can understand why you asked about this Top Cat. Without pre-planned sessions, it is impossible to develop squad-level procedures and tactics.

You have several options:

1) In case of 1stMIP, you can always reserve a slot in one of our activities.

2) You can join an in-house unit.

3) You can start an in-house unit to bring together like-minded players.

Comment

I usually hop into a 1st MIP squad when I'm on TG, with Drunken or Drunk something, usually does a great job when we have players listening to him. If I ever see any of you leading a 1st MIP squad I'll definatly check it out, I'm a good fireteam leader as far as I have been told, and always have my VOIP running.

Comment

Originally posted by John CANavar View Post
                        . Without pre-planned sessions, it is impossible to develop squad-level procedures and tactics.

Just watch me......I intend to try on the TG server for the next week, trying to grab any player with TS and bring him into fireteam line! heheeeee

Why? I just love the challenge of trying to teach/mould randoms and if poss, a few "bums"!

It might fail terribly but i am rediculously determinded and willl continue trying to organize something very similar to what 1stMIP are doing.......for a while.

Thank you very much for clearly explaining TGs organized gaming events.
                        However, give me a week or 2 and i will try and turn up to one of TG more organized events and i am sure will have just as much a hell of a time.

and always have my VOIP running
                        Come on Riki, you know you wnat to get Teamspeak and have it running aswell, the possiblities it opens up are endless.

Comment

Understood fully, and when I'm in a MIP squad, I try and obey orders as they're given to me.

However, there's one difficulty: following the FTL when he's not also SL. It's very difficult in the game environment to distinguish one team member from another (exception is SL), as you cannot always see their name (actually, this is OFTEN), and can NEVER tell the diff usually on the minimap between SM's.

What do you 1stMIP guys do to help distinguish on the game between FTL when so often you don't get to see the guy's name unless he's somewhere right in front of you w/in 20 meters (which usually means that if you shoot, you will shoot him)?

Games: GRAW, BF2142, Oblivion, FarCry, Empire At War, R6:RVS, KotOR, KotOR2, MW4: Mercs, FEAR (XP)

*Hiss* "Oh...crap!" *BLAM* "I'm down....MEDIC!!"

DirtyLude: "If we kill him and eat his heart, his magic will be ours."

Comment

Originally posted by Sir_Brass View Post
                            Understood fully, and when I'm in a MIP squad, I try and obey orders as they're given to me.

However, there's one difficulty: following the FTL when he's not also SL. It's very difficult in the game environment to distinguish one team member from another (exception is SL), as you cannot always see their name (actually, this is OFTEN), and can NEVER tell the diff usually on the minimap between SM's.

What do you 1stMIP guys do to help distinguish on the game between FTL when so often you don't get to see the guy's name unless he's somewhere right in front of you w/in 20 meters (which usually means that if you shoot, you will shoot him)?

You can click the FTL's name in the squad screen. His dot changes from green to white on the minimap. That's what I use when I want to locate someone specific.

DB

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Comment

Cool! I didn't know that. Thanks for the tip, as that'll come in VERY helpful for a variety of things.

Games: GRAW, BF2142, Oblivion, FarCry, Empire At War, R6:RVS, KotOR, KotOR2, MW4: Mercs, FEAR (XP)

*Hiss* "Oh...crap!" *BLAM* "I'm down....MEDIC!!"

DirtyLude: "If we kill him and eat his heart, his magic will be ours."

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X