to punish or not to punish....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• to punish or not to punish....

I knoevery one of us here has killed a friendly once or twice, some of us more than that since uniform recognition is a pain. The only problem I have with this is when I get TKed and don't get a "sorry man" or "sorry, I screwed up" message. Every time I ace someone that's on my team I give an apology and I usually don't get punished (read 1 punish for every 20 tk's and no I don't tk that often). So where's the line drawn here? I've been waiting about 10 seconds to see if I get an apology and if not then I send a punish. Of course if I get tked on purpose its' instant punish.....

thoughts?

Re: to punish or not to punish....

I'm with you on deliberate TK's. Being shot at < 5m whilst standing in your main base is extremely hard to justify as accidental.

Any other time, I tend to have a forgive twitch.
    BFCL TF2 league admin

Comment

I avoid punishing for this reason:

I will never know the full facts behind team kills, the PR battlefield is an extremely manic place, with so many different things going on. This means, so many factors can affect the reason for a TK, and therefore it impossible to know or understand them all and with out them all, you can raerly make a Legal/right/proper descission.

ALso, 70% are done by people i recognise ((with in squad or seen before (know arnt evil from previous experience) players), i presume it is similar for other players and therefore, in most cases punishing would be the incorrect course of action to take, and with the odds stacked against TKs being by accident, i see more harm that good, when combined with 1st para thoughts, of punishing.

In the rare situation i punish, i will take it FURTHER. And use text chat to communicate with them better about what happened and why.
      So, if it is serious enough to punish, it is also serious enough to take it up with them personaly over chat - but always avoid loosing your cool!

IF a TK was on purpose, they problay want you to get angry, DONT LET THEM WIN!

TG-E1st TacticalGamer European Division |

Comment

Whether vanilla BF2, PR, or any other similarly-themed game with a TK punish system (such as good ol' Day of Defeat, most servers ran scripts for it), I always forgive unless it's obviously deliberate, or on rare occasions incomprehensibly stupid (like, taxiing an A10 around the airport at high speed through areas in which people spawn. Technically accidental, but still too stupid to forgive). To do otherwise, IMHO, is rather rude and possibly detrimental to the team. I think one must always give the benefit of the doubt to a TK or team damage, even if there's no apology -- the TKer may be flying, engaged in a manic firefight, or may not have even noticed. 90% of the time in a mature environment like TG it's accidental, and it happens even to the best of us. Punishing is a system which I believe is intended, and should be reserved, for trolls, lamers, whatever you want to call them, people who abuse the game environment for their own amusement or otherwise disrupt the playing field (i.e., TKing for a favored vehicle).
        If you're the last man standing, you weren't trying hard enough.

Comment

I never punish accidental team kills.

Comment

Unless it was unbearibly STUPID (like your entire squad and then some other friendlies getting wiped out by the A-10 right when your team is about to take over Palace on Al Basrah), or obviously deliberate, I instant forgive.

If I punish, it's never instant, but always thought through.

I take my punishment philosophy from Bommando's punishment thread on 2142.

I never punish frag nade TK's. Most likely the guy tossed it, bad toss and not on squad to let me know, and it goes boom, or he tosses and me not seeing the toss till the explosion runs right into its kill zone. Usually me getting TK'd is usually my fault in some accidental way....that's how I usually see it.

Games: GRAW, BF2142, Oblivion, FarCry, Empire At War, R6:RVS, KotOR, KotOR2, MW4: Mercs, FEAR (XP)

*Hiss* "Oh...crap!" *BLAM* "I'm down....MEDIC!!"

DirtyLude: "If we kill him and eat his heart, his magic will be ours."

Comment

I never punish tk's unless it's blatenly obvious it was done on purpose for a nefarious reason...ie take an asset or kit so I don't get it. Frankly I can't think of that happening even once.

Cmon guys...we are TG and we need to show people how it's done. Forgive and move on, showing those unwashed masses how it's done...
              sigpic
              |TG-1st|Grunt
              ARMA Admin (retired)
              Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

I rarely punish. The only time I punish is if it was something incredibly stupid or if I know it was on purpose. And if I punish and someone says "why did you punish me?" I tell them why and if they explain what happened, I immediatly apologize and usually that's the end of it.

Comment

This is a very timely post for me since just last night I experienced not one, but TWO punishes from a dude (admin edit: removed players name) with "redtag bug."

It's my philosophy that if a teammate comes around the corner and you get twitchy and shoot them in the face, you might get punished if you don't apologize. But when someone shows up as an enemy and you waste them, all should be forgiven. Just my $0.02 and now I feel better having gotten it off my chest. :D
                  I heart TG.
                  xoxo

~Sugar~

"Tactics at TG come from trust and friendship, not meticulous detail and rigid discipline." ~I saw this in Zephy'rs sig and I love it.

Comment

I only punish on rare occasion. I reserve it for noobs with vehicle mounted weapons. I tend to see alot of Black Hawk gunners strafing friendlies and taking out whole squads near their LZ. THe reason the pilot is landing is because it's secured and these idiots thank the previous squad who secured the landing by strafing them with miniguns. That deserves a punish.
                    |TG-12th| tHa_KhAn

XBL GT: Khan58

Comment

Originally posted by Backlash-7 View Post
                      I knoevery one of us here has killed a friendly once or twice, some of us more than that since uniform recognition is a pain. The only problem I have with this is when I get TKed and don't get a "sorry man" or "sorry, I screwed up" message.
                      Let me tell you why we probably shouldn't punish for not getting a "sorry".

When someone TKs you, it is often the case that they themselves die within seconds. When you are dead, you cannot use the sorry command. Some players just don't care, but don't punish the ones that tried to use the sorry command but for some reason cannot (they may also be in a very hot fire fight).

Comment

I never punish unless it's clearly intentional (i.e. killing me to get a vehicle or something).

Unfortunately, I've noticed that many of the newer players unfamiliar w/ TG are a bit 'punish happy'.

TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran

Comment

Yeah, though it would seem that PR by design would facilitate more forgives simply b/c its so obvious how someone could get an accidental TK in the middle of a fight b/c he mistook a friendly for an enemy b/c he was unable to take the time to really discern whether that was a friendly uniform or not (in a sea of friendly markers, positions get lost, and if an enemy gets into the fray, a long range marksman could EASILLY mistake a good guy for a baddie).

Yet, I get more punishes in PRM than I do in 2142 (granted, I don't TK very often if at all in 2142).....and I'm getting better and better with not shooting the wrong guys.

Games: GRAW, BF2142, Oblivion, FarCry, Empire At War, R6:RVS, KotOR, KotOR2, MW4: Mercs, FEAR (XP)

*Hiss* "Oh...crap!" *BLAM* "I'm down....MEDIC!!"

DirtyLude: "If we kill him and eat his heart, his magic will be ours."

Comment

I think the whole punishment system is moot. AFAIK when you punish someone it reflects negatively on their score. As TGers it's my understanding that the goal is not about "me" playing and being higher on the score ranks than someone else, it's about working as a team for a team victory.

If someone is intentially TKing the best thing to do is inform an admin. Punishing someone that is intent on TKing, be it for vehicles or "revenge" on a medic that didn't revive them, etc, is not going to be effective in stopping someone with this mentality from continuing.

I tend to not punish because I don't think it's effective or matters. When I do it's usually because I hit the wrong key just to get the message off my screen.

If I TK, I apologize. If I get punished, I don't care one bit. Like I said, the system seems more geared for deathmatch personal glory and scores than the tenants of teamplay. Accidents happen from both veterans and beginners, we should know that. I don't think the punishment system is even applicable or needed on TG servers and IMO should be taken out if possible. We have admins for a reason other than restarts and map changes, to remove immature players that TK with intent rather than accident.

[Game rules, announcements, and SOPs ][ ][ ][ ]
                            "The success of what we do depends upon people valuing the team over themselves."
                            - Wulfyn

Comment

Originally posted by tau_neutrino View Post
                              Unfortunately, I've noticed that many of the newer players unfamiliar w/ TG are a bit 'punish happy'.
                              I got Santa mad at me by doing that when I was new here, I quickly learned my lesson...

On topic, I generally twitch to pig up now, even when I mean to punish. I rarely punish, only when it is extreme acts of stupidity and they don't say sorry or when it is clearly purposeful.
                              |TG| Lorian
                              Member since 18th February 2006

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...