Great squadplay last night

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great squadplay last night

I joined the PR server around 7 pm Saturday night, and seeing the couple SLs I knew already had full squads, I joined xCannon's squad, which had only one other TG regular in it. As it turns out, Cannon was a very good squad leader, the entire squad had VOIP and was fully engaged in the objectives, and we all stayed on top of our game for the entire round.

We played Sunset City as OPFOR, and essentially captured and held the Temple for the entire match (until the last 2 minutes, anyway). It was close to an ideal TG-style game - cap and hold an objective, rebuffing 4-5 coordinated assaults from different directions. To see a squad play so tight during those assaults, and stay patient but on point between those assaults, was great. I think Dragon and Finestyle were also in that squad, but can't remember other names. We followed that game with a 85 minute long Steel Thunder (by that time I was SL), which was also a very well-played map.

The main point of this post is that I've been playing either as SL with people I know or joining familiar squads when I sign on, but last night I realized that the level of non-TG squadplay is rising significantly on the server. I'll be trying to join up or lead non-TG squads more in the future - I'm very much reminded of the first weeks of after BF2 was released when people got over the learning curve and started doing really great things with the engine. Great stuff.

Also - big thanks to Jeromeme, Squirrel, and anyone else who COed last night... both of you guys were great COs and made a huge difference in the quality of games last night. :)
    Beatnik

Re: Great squadpltay last night

Dont be afraid to join a squad without a single TG tagged player. Many of the untagged guys are very good teamplayers. If you get in one of those squads, make sure to point em toward our forums.

Comment

xCannon is a regular on our poe server as well....definitely a good teamplayer.
      |TG-12th|mantis

Comment

Originally posted by Santa View Post
        Dont be afraid to join a squad without a single TG tagged player. Many of the untagged guys are very good teamplayers. If you get in one of those squads, make sure to point em toward our forums.
        Yeah I think between the need for improvements in .50 (before .509) and everyone getting over the learning curve for the new release, I developed an aversion to squads with no TG regulars. Glad to see that the aversion was misinformed. :)
        Beatnik

Comment

Re: Great squadplay last night

COs, last night (or yesterday afternoon), a CO was using the comm channel to constantly talk to all squads at once. This must be done at a bare minimum as it makes SL intra and inter-squad communication very very difficult. It is also extremely unpleasant hearing a CO talk almost constantly.

I have no one in particular in mind here, as I cannot recall the CO's name (I spoke to him numerous times about this but to little effect).

In future I will be much more intolerant of a breach of this protocol, as it is extremely important to maintain proper use of comm channels for effective gaming and for everyone's equal enjoyment. A CO that disregards this is ruining the game for others and, I for one, will not put up with it.

Again, I have no one in particular in mind here. I will take it upon myself to continue to educate CO's in this matter, as all TG SLs should.
          sigpic

Comment

E-male,

I have a quick solution to this very serious problem.

Before doing this, you may remind him to a) use B key to talk to specific squads b) use very short orders.

1) Contact CO and explain the situation:

"CO...this is squad 3...copy?
            "Yes 3"
            "I am unable to coordinate my squad due to your heavy VOIP use. I will mute the channel but we will follow your orders if you use the markers. Thanks for your understanding"

2) Mute the channel

Press Tab >> Right Mouse click >> Manage (If I am not mistaken) >> Click the VOIP icon of player in CO position

Comment

Whenever I SL I like it when the CO uses the talk-to-all. It really lets me know what's going on in the rest of the battlefield, and relay it to my squad so they can plan ahead a bit better.

Comment

Originally posted by thebleakaffinity View Post
                Whenever I SL I like it when the CO uses the talk-to-all. It really lets me know what's going on in the rest of the battlefield, and relay it to my squad so they can plan ahead a bit better.

Yes, you point I understand. When I CO (not often these days) I try to give all squads key universal sit reps as required.

But too much is too much, for my taste.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by John CANavar View Post
                  ... remind him [CO] to a) use B key to talk to specific squads b) use very short orders.

1) Contact CO and explain the situation:

"CO...this is squad 3...copy?
                  "Yes 3"
                  "I am unable to coordinate my squad due to your heavy VOIP use. I will mute the channel but we will follow your orders if you use the markers. Thanks for your understanding"
                  Great suggestion. Yes, I always try to educate COs in the proper protocol, but I had not tought of muting. Nice touch with informing the CO that you are muting the channel and why.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Santa View Post
                    Many of the untagged guys are very good teamplayers. If you get in one of those squads, make sure to point em toward our forums.
                    Indeed. The majority of PR guys use VOIP and are very teamwork oriented. The biggest concern is that they tend to have a "all's fair in love and war" attitude, so we just need to curb their bloodlust a tad so that everyone is having fun, not just the guys coming out on top.

Originally posted by E-Male View Post
                    But too much is too much, for my taste.
                    Yeah, the guy was actually an excellent CO and maintained a beefy defensive posture. Dropped arty, supplies, etc. Fantastic in every regard except it was like listening to a Ben Stein monologue for the duration of a round. I'm glad to have had him, and I think we won every round that he CO'd. It just made things difficult to follow on the squad level since there were always multiple people talking simultaneously...

ALL IN ALL excellent gaming Saturday night. I hope to have a repeat this very evening...

Comment

I have played with many non TGer the last week and I am very impressed with the team play. I am now addicted to Project reality. Its hard to beat the game play on our PR server when it comes to teamplay of everyday games. Even at 7am in the morning this weekend. :)
                      |TG-Irr| Red

Comment

Some good none TG guys.

Usually anyone with EJOD, RFAD, ARRC, R-DEV tags, usuallllly, not all tourny players are great. Other good tags to look out for are TC or DVB
                        Fuzzhead
                        Atlanta Falcons
                        Desert Fox
                        LonelyJew
                        Animalmother
                        DocZoidIV
                        causticbeat
                        BlackwaterEddie
                        Wahhht purrrr
                        Wahh purrr
                        JP*wasteland.soldier
                        Bo$co
                        *SpaceCadett*
                        [PR]RFAD|Squidy
                        Clavdivs

I'm sure the list goes on! But these are all players I am familar with from GHz West and PR forums.
                        Mongolian_dude

Comment

Great feedback Riki - the few that I've played with from that list have definitely stood out as great players.

I am curious about other quality non-TG SLs that frequent the server. It's always good to sit in high performing squads and see how those SLs play when I don't feel like SLing myself. :)
                          Beatnik

Comment

Another good non-TG regular I've been flying with is Amdak, he doesn't have a mic but he communicates with text and is a pretty good pilot to boot.

Comment

Yea I agree a CO who is constantly chatting is very distracting to a SL, and that is a great solution (inform the CO his VOIP chatter is distracting, tell him your muting him and if he wants to relay information to you, he can do so with markers)

Originally posted by Beatnik View Post
                              It's always good to sit in high performing squads and see how those SLs play when I don't feel like SLing myself. :)
                              agreed, i enjoy SLing but I also like to take a break and watch how others do it

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X