Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Visiting clans groups and TS

Hi all,

I noticed last night we had a squad in game who was using their own clan's teamspeak channel while in game. How did I know this? I saw an ingame chat message that was a reply to a request for a squad invite--it went went something like...."you can join but we are using our own TS channel so it might be hard to keep up"...or something similar to that. The squad in question was locked so up til that moment it was only their own small group in the squad. I can see why TS would work in that instance but If you are visiting our server please use in game voip. With our server full most of the time squad spots are at a premium and anything that limits teamwork is a hinderance to the gameplay for everyone. I realize this may be a departure for some of our regular visiting squads or clans but its important we follow a uniform method of ingame comms. TG itself reserves TS for between round chatter and admin requests...and...If I'm not mistaken, server rules also call for max use of ingame voip.

I'm not an admin but thought I'd post this reminder for all to consider. Thanks guys
    Last edited by Grunt 70; 03-05-2007, 12:15 PM.
    sigpic
    |TG-1st|Grunt
    ARMA Admin (retired)
    Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Re: Visiting clans groups and TS

Hey there Grunt. I think you are likely refering the Shacktactical squad. I agree that we should use voip. Dslyecxi (our SL) had the squad locked and it was full most of the time so I dont think we were out of the chain of command or excluding anyone who needed a squad. When we dropped down to 3 I unlocked the squad and switch my press-to-talk key back to VOIP. I will mention your point to Dslyecxi about this and make sure no ones gets their feathers ruffled. We followed commander orders and stay within the sop guidelines other than that minor exception. Thanks for the heads up.

Comment

Good post Grunt... I was in a squad some time last week where this was the case... After about 3 minutes of silence, I asked for a mic check, and got a squad-chat response with an IP for a TS server. The SL and SM's (including a TG'er or two) had all joined that server I guess. I asked "why not just press B"? One other SM laughed and agreed using VOIP... the SL just responded something about being too lazy to switch :icon_lol: A minute or two later I couldn't take the silence and left the squad.

Comment

Originally posted by lightzout View Post
        Hey there Grunt. I think you are likely refering the Shacktactical squad. I agree that we should use voip. Dslyecxi (our SL) had the squad locked and it was full most of the time so I dont think we were out of the chain of command or excluding anyone who needed a squad. When we dropped down to 3 I unlocked the squad and switch my press-to-talk key back to VOIP. I will mention your point to Dslyecxi about this and make sure no ones gets their feathers ruffled. We followed commander orders and stay within the sop guidelines other than that minor exception. Thanks for the heads up.
        Roger that...thanks for the input lightzout... I knew what squad it was but i'm not looking to call anyone out, just to post a reminder...and it sounds like you guys were on top of it when you needed to be. Thanks for the reply.

I guess Whiskey's post means it's a good time for the reminder.
        sigpic
        |TG-1st|Grunt
        ARMA Admin (retired)
        Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

I think I need a little more clarification on whether using non-TG TS2 during rounds is permissible at all without advanced agreement. I was in a squad with whiskey recently where our SL was trying to pull people into his own TS to have multiple fire team coordination. He was doing a decent job giving orders and seemed polite but I didnt think it made sense to try to do this on the spot mid-battle. I suggested it was a good idea to post here first but didnt feel like I knew enough to explain the policy on the server and honestly it was kind of annoying since I only had a short time I could play. The round ended soon and when I tried yo get on his TS to see who was there I couldn't connect so I bailed the game. He said he was planning whatever he had in mind at the PRMM forum. Can someone let me know what to say (if anything) next time sometthing like this rises? Danke.

Comment

TG doesn't support the use of TS for in-game communication. This works fine for private servers, but on a public server where new players move in and out of a squad, it only serves to limit communication between all squadmembers.

Of course, we cannot stop players from using TS on their own, but if they end up failing to communicate effectively, they can be kicked from the server for lack of teamwork.

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

Originally posted by lightzout View Post
              I think I need a little more clarification on whether using non-TG TS2 during rounds is permissible at all without advanced agreement. I was in a squad with whiskey recently where our SL was trying to pull people into his own TS to have multiple fire team coordination. He was doing a decent job giving orders and seemed polite but I didnt think it made sense to try to do this on the spot mid-battle. I suggested it was a good idea to post here first but didnt feel like I knew enough to explain the policy on the server and honestly it was kind of annoying since I only had a short time I could play. The round ended soon and when I tried yo get on his TS to see who was there I couldn't connect so I bailed the game. He said he was planning whatever he had in mind at the PRMM forum. Can someone let me know what to say (if anything) next time sometthing like this rises? Danke.
              your quote above pretty much supports what Tempus said I'd say. The idea has merits but it detracts from the overall experience for everyone when it's used intermittently or only by select groups. That was the reason for my OP.

The first is currently experimenting with something similar that incorporates both TS and VOIP. Our idea (Emale idea??) is to simply have two squad leaders in comm with each other on TS. Each SL would still communicate with their squad on VOIP, but each SL would have the ability to talk to the other SL and support and reinforce each other's squad. Only the SL's use TS to coordinate with each other. I think this approach is better than say 10 or 12 players using the TS channel for comms because the chatter on TS is minimal...just two players communication rather than 10 or 12.

All other squad members stay on their own squad's voip and each squad fights with voip in addition to the TS channel the two SL are using. We've seen some success with this and I'm sure we'll see more. The benefit is that you still get inter squad coop using TS but you also still have everyone in game using voip. Our idea is not to replace voip with TS but to supplement it only when coordinating our reinforcement activity. This tactic also was designed to be used only when there is no commander.

The above idea could easily be implemented by having an additional TS channel on or two dedicated to that function. Just like the 1st has a fire team Alpha and Bravo cannel the PRM TS channel could have a Squad leader 1 or Squadleader 2 channel. Good stuff...glad we are thinking about these things.
              sigpic
              |TG-1st|Grunt
              ARMA Admin (retired)
              Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed