Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clarification: FTL vs SL roles.

Greetings.

In playing PRM last night, I joined a squad named "reinforce" with a TG member in squad lead (sorry dude, I forget your name :p). Our assigned role was to provide support for 2 1st-MIP squads in operation at the time. As our squad filled up, I was asked to take the fire team leader (FTL) position, which I am familiar with as a concept but not familiar with (in BF2) in practice. Is this a feature of PRM that I am as yet unaware of? I found myself looking for an FTL PU-kit or anything of the sort that would give me tools to place orders on the map, etc.

My other thought is that this is either a 1st-MIP tactical procedure or perhaps a TG in-house procedure in a broader sense that I haven't been exposed to yet. To that end, I could use some clarification on what an FTL's role is, given the absence of any SL tools that a team leader might expect to use, and how an FTL is expected to fill that role.

Peace.
    sigpic

Re: Clarification: FTL vs SL roles.

From http://www.tacticalgamer.com/wiki/in...IP_FM_Handbook

* 1stMIP squads have two fire teams; Alpha and Bravo.
    * Each fire team has a fire team leader (FL) and two fire team members (FM).

* Fire team Alpha: Alpha 1 (A1), Alpha 2 (A2) and Alpha 3 (A3).
    * A1 is the squad sergeant. He has full control over fire team Alpha and directs his fire team to accomplish squad leader orders. All Alpha FMs are under A1's command and must follow his orders.

* Fire team Bravo: Bravo 1 (B1), Bravo 2 (B2) and Bravo 3 (B3).
    * B1 is the squad leader. He gives the general orders to both fire teams but micromanages only the Bravo team, leaving Alpha to Sergeant.

* When you join a 1stMIP squad, you will be assigned as a fire team member.
    * As a FM, you have the following responsibilities:
    o Memorize your unit code (A2, A3, B2 or B3) and name of your FL.
    o Non-verbal communication and coordination concept: Synchorinize your actions (movement and engagement) with your FL. Unless you are assigned to a specific position, you go where your FL goes, you fight where your FL fights. Sometimes, there is simply no time to give verbal cues or orders such as "regroup" and "lets go". This would slow down the whole team and make us very vulnerable. For maximum speed and efficiency, you must be able to follow your FL even under the most chaotic situations. To be able to follow your FL, you must always keep him in sight. Therefore unless specified by a formation order, you must keep your FL in front of you and position back at a reasonable distance (not too close, not to far away). Remember, FL is the head, FMs are the arms of a body. Neither can survive alone.
    o Learn the meaning of orders listed under main topics given below. Team leaders will use a standard battlefield communication language and you must be able to understand and execute your orders in the shortest time possibble [Responsiveness].

* If you cannot find your FL, use your radio: "A1...where are you?". Your FL will report his position using the base or SL as a reference point. "A1...SW SL" or "A1...NE base". Use your map/compass to locate and form on your FL.
    |TG-33rd|Calvin

Comment

Hi Braid--that was me trying to lead the reinforce squad. I came in to the map late and saw a full MIP squad struggling to finish an assault. The 1st MIP had been trying to form a support squad to move in tandem as a unified fighting force. Unfortunately I came in late as I said and the reinforce squad and the 1st MIP squad never really got it going on that map. When the map ended a spot in the 1st MIP squad opened and I was invited in so the reinforce squad was left to someone else.

Cal's excellent link brings you to a primer on how the 1st MIP uses fireteams. These tactics are employed by the 1st typically when we have a full squad in game. We've spent hours practicing formations and manuevers and that page captures nicely sop's on our fire team form and function.

When I'm squadleading mixed units I try to keep it much simpler, assigning a leader and two members to form Alpha team...everyone else with me on Bravo. 3 and 3. No need to confuse people with more specific unit designations--at least right off. If we fight well and everyone is using comms and spot on, I might drill it down further by issuing specific kit assignments and unit designations for each FT member or FT leader.

My mistake last night was not asking if you had any questions. There is no kit to pick up... being a fire team leader is more about taking command of a small team and coordinating with the SL to carry out the SL orders eg.--"Alpha...more your team in from the East and clear the village of enemies" Bravo will hold to the SW.

Anyway...my bad on the not so good comms...Give me another try and we'll make it work next time and if you like the 1st MIP way of fighting look for us on TS and we'll open a spot on one of our squads. Thanks
      sigpic
      |TG-1st|Grunt
      ARMA Admin (retired)
      Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Thanks for the links and the feedback.

No worries, Grunt. I too joined late in the round and had a blast anyways. I'll look for you guys down the round.

Cheers.
        sigpic

Comment

Anyone else noticed that the mip protocols have been getting an unusal amount of positive attention on pr :)?

Comment

Yes Al...I've seen many references to the 1st over the past few weeks. I've said it before but here it is again...PRM is a good fit for the 1st. Fire team cohesion and discipline really works...Thanks to John C for his vision and leadership.
            sigpic
            |TG-1st|Grunt
            ARMA Admin (retired)
            Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Thanks and props go to all of you, with or without a 1stMIP tag, who joined us in our effort to bring discipline, method, system and order to the games we played. It is a whole different gaming experience when you come together in a squad and all squad members are connected to each other with clearly defined standard procedures. I cant imagine the idea of 1stMIP become a reality at anywhere else but TG. Lets keep the fire teams cohesive in many great games we will enjoy together :)

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
              X