Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Improving the kick for TG player script.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Improving the kick for TG player script.

Is there any way you guys can make it so it doesn't kick commanders or SLs? Maybe look into the coding for team switch where it doesn't switch a commander or SL. Or maybe it finds the player with the lowest or negative total score and kicks them. Yesterday had a SL booted for a TG player, whole squad and SL were not too happy about it!

Re: Improving the kick for TG player script.

For the SM slot script, it kicks the player that has been on the longest, so your SL must have been playing for a long time. Giving immunity to players in that position would practically give them a reserved slot if they stay SL or CO. I do see your point though.

Comment

Was gonna make a thread, glad I didn't.

This very thing happened to me today. Was leading the best squad on our team, playing in Forest, 40-30 bouncing back and forth favoring the opposing force, boom. I'm gone. Slightly frustrating.

Really not sure how this works but maybe the lowest teamscore should be booted? Excluding SL and CO of course.

Comment

Originally posted by Riki_Rude_BTYC View Post
        Is there any way you guys can make it so it doesn't kick commanders or SLs?
        We're looking into it, but there are pros and cons. As Acid pointed out, the script as it is now kicks the non-supporting member who has played the longest on the server. Relatively fair, but can break up a squads cohesion if SL is kicked mid-round. This we understand.

To change the script to not kick SLs or commander plus supporting members would have the following effect:

1) People would create one man squads in an attempt to loophole the script. Having ten squads on each side, five of which are lone wolves doesn't encourage teamwork. Admins would have to constantly warn and kick SLs who refused to join larger squads. Gaps with limited admin coverage would suffer. This is obviously a huge issue, so if we can figure out how to still kick one-man-squads that will be a tremendous help. Working on it!

2) If we have, say, 30 supporting members on at one time, and then an additional 14 people playing SL or CO roles, that's 44 people "immune" to being kicked from the server. Since the server is full with 62 players, that only leaves 18 available slots non-supporting squadmembers can jockey for. Say someone is an excellent medic or outstanding AT and doesn't like leading; that person will get kicked much more quickly than with the current script. Revolving door, indeed.

We understand players frustrations, but you can also see there's not a simple solution to keep everyone satisfied, either.

Comment

However much I hate being kicked when SLing, I think it is probably fairest.
          I must say it's impossible for me to get a stable squad fro multiple rounds without being kicked. It takes 3 or more rounds at least to do that imo, and some of the more advanced fire team stuff is hard to implement with the current restrictions.

I must urge players, If you enjoyed the SL's efforts and he is kicked, ask the new SL to lock the squad and give it back to the SL because he will probably be back in 5 to ten minutes. I always appreciate this, and don't appreciate if someone takes my "defense" squad and attacks all over the place :(.

Comment

Talked to asch, and I told him I'd talk to some of our coders to see if they could help devise something. Something that hopefully prevents the one man squad syndrome.

Comment

Here's a thought, what if it only kicked squad leaders if the squad has less than 3 members?
              |TG| Lorian
              Member since 18th February 2006

Comment

Talked to asch, and I told him I'd talk to some of our coders to see if they could help devise something. Something that hopefully prevents the one man squad syndrome.
                It's not necessarily a technical hurdle that we're having problems trying to overcome. The system was set up like this intentionally. The best way to stop yourself getting kicked as an SL is to become a supporting member and help keep the servers and community alive.

I would be personally opposed to any system that allows ANY such type of immunity.
                Last edited by Apophis; 03-06-2007, 07:29 AM.
                Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

Agreed.
                  "No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.
                  He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

- Attributed to General George Patton, Jr.

Comment

I personally had no problem getting kicked prior to becoming a supporting member no matter what positions I was in. I accepted the fact and moved. More importantly I was usuallly on the free TS with other members in my squad and had them "reserve" a slot in the squad upon my return. If people took advantage of all the resources, then this would be less of an issue. Not getting kicked was low on my list of why I became a supporting member.
                    |TG-12th| tHa_KhAn

XBL GT: Khan58

Comment

It can be distracting and annoying when somebody is kicked but there is a solution.

If you intend to squadlead your most likely a great teamplayer and would like to become a supporting member of this great community. :)
                      |TG-Irr| Red

Comment

Riki and I discussed the messaging that comes across. The PR devs may have an idea on how to keep non-SMs from attempting to join a full server and getting kicked... and to provide better messaging that when a playing non-SM gets the boot.

Beyond the messaging, the admin team will have to figure out what logic they want and make those changes.
                        |TG-12th| asch
                        sigpic

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but I do believe that shortly after vanilla BF2 came out this very issue came up and, as a solution, a script was implemented to prevent CO's and SL's from being kicked even if they weren't supporting members. The reasoning was that it was in the "greater good" interest to keep command structure in place.

Forgive me for playing devil's advocate to the admins, but I don't see why CO/SL kick immunity was fine then, but apparently isn't now. We didn't see an uprise in the amount of lone wolf squads because of this and, considering the fact that lonewolfing is a sure way to die fast and often in PR, I don't think it will be a problem. When it comes down to it, there are so few people willing to actually CO or SL (and I mean actually SL, as opposed to just being in the position at random), I think it's more detrimental to the server to lose a good command person than it is make a handful of players immune to being kicked.
                          [squadl]
                          "I am the prettiest african-american, vietnamese..cong..person." -SugarNCamo

Comment

There is a very simple way for people to get around the "problems" with the kick script. Get a supporting membership. I'd be very disappointed to see the supporting membership be de-valued by providing immunity to non-SM's on the server. I think the reserved slot program is a big reason many people decide to support the servers at TG.
                            "No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.
                            He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

- Attributed to General George Patton, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by SmokingTarpan View Post
                              Correct me if I'm wrong here, but I do believe that shortly after vanilla BF2 came out this very issue came up and, as a solution, a script was implemented to prevent CO's and SL's from being kicked even if they weren't supporting members. The reasoning was that it was in the "greater good" interest to keep command structure in place.
                              I believe the vanilla system only protected CO's but I'm not completely sure... that was a long time ago. :)
                              |TG-12th| asch
                              sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...