Winning on Muttrah City

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winning on Muttrah City

I tried this the other night and it worked well after a few failed attempts (due mainly to poor coordination on my part as SL). We didn't win the round because I didn't try this until it was half over, but...

The main strategy is to first take out the AA-cannons before attempting to cap either Docks or Hotel. The trick is to use HALO drops by squad leaders. To make this happen, SL's request a pilot kit (the only kit w/ a parachute), and inform their entire squad to delay spawn. The SL then get's brought to very high-altitude (>400m), and jumps out over one of the two AA-guns, opening the chute just before landing (<30m). Once on the ground, 5-men spawn, with Light AT and or combat engineer (C4) to take out the AA. (In theory, multiple SL's could participate in the spawn-bomb, instantly giving you 15+ troops in the rear of the map.)

If a CO is present, they can drop a supply kit back there somewhere, so the SL can grab an officer kit and place a RP... but that's just icing on the cake... the main objective is to take out that AA so the entire city becomes a valid LZ - not just the leeward side of the Hotel and Docks buildings.

It's a really fun mission, and should make that map much more playable. If nothing else, it should draw a couple of squads to the north to defend the AA emplacements.

Re: Winning on Muttrah City

Originally posted by WhiskeySix View Post
    I tried this the other night and it worked well after a few failed attempts (due mainly to poor coordination on my part as SL). We didn't win the round because I didn't try this until it was half over, but...

The main strategy is to first take out the AA-cannons before attempting to cap either Docks or Hotel. The trick is to use HALO drops by squad leaders. To make this happen, SL's request a pilot kit (the only kit w/ a parachute), and inform their entire squad to delay spawn. The SL then get's brought to very high-altitude (>400m), and jumps out over one of the two AA-guns, opening the chute just before landing (<30m). Once on the ground, 5-men spawn, with Light AT and or combat engineer (C4) to take out the AA.

If a CO is present, they can drop a supply kit back there somewhere, so the SL can grab an officer kit and place a RP... but that's just icing on the cake... the main objective is to take out that AA so the entire city becomes a valid LZ - not just the leeward side of the Hotel and Docks buildings.

It's a really fun mission, and should make that map much more playable. If nothing else, it should draw a couple of squads to the north to defend the AA emplacements.
    Intresting idea and while I agree with you on it, it feels a little too gamey and taking away form the reality part of PRM. Just an opinion I would however like to try it out with you.

Comment

Agreed, the idea of a "spawn bomb" isn't very realistic, or appealing frankly. But at the same time, having a special forces squad HALO drop in is VERY realistic... Unfortunately, the latter isn't possible in the current version of the mod because of the no-parachutes restriction that's in place to prevent people from base jumping off 3-story buildings...

Comment

A Blackhawk can carry 11 passengers in real life. That's almost two full squads, not counting the two gunners. :)

Comment

I was considering ways to keep the AA down as well. My thoughts were to drop 2 squads simultaneously on the road behind Docks using two Little Birds. One squad would push into Docks and keep pressure on them and the other would split off and take out the AA. I haven't gotten to try it yet though.
          Retired 6th DB

Comment

yes it is gamey, but so is muttrah city imo. that map is simply too small for the way the scenario is setup. The LZ for USMC troops would be far away from this position in arealistic setting, they wouldnt be landing at the point with KNOWN AA positions. They would also be sending in APCs, etc. This map is an old map and I think does not show PR's true potential very well. And for all you pilots, this map is tiny, it hardly is a good map for piloting tactics with such limited air space.

and yes ive done this tactic before with great success.... it really helps if you have another competent squad leader to do the drop with.

12 guys spawning behind the MEC lines can REALLY screw over their team in a hurry.

Be sure to blow up all AA guns and also the mapper rallypoint at consite. then you can take over the construction site, using it as your base of operations, spraying death into the wasteland.

I never ever ever get to play as USMC on this map, but on the very rare occasion when I do I win everytime, its very easy because the MEC think of it as a cake walk, and by attacking them in such a coordinated fashion, they get completely overwhelmed.

Comment

**** Whiskey, I swear I was gonna make a thread with the same name as soon as I got back from work!! Hahaha, that's so funny!!!

That tactic was exactly the one I was going to propose, but with one more thing: destroy enemy rally points at the Construction site, Ibna Street and at the Wastelands. This way, MEC troops would be forced to use rally points the same way US has to. Also, these flag rally points can be used by any MEC troop, and this way we would disrupt their line of troop resuply. There is one AA gun on Wastelands, and one on Construction. So I'd say the same squad who takes the AA out could take the rally points also.

Yes, it is dirty tactics, but this is a dirty map. It is IMPOSSIBLE, yes, IMPOSSIBLE, to win it by regular means. We need the AA down to be able to land our choppers, and we need their "public" rally points destroyed to prevent them from spawning like ants.

Even if they defend the AAs and their rally points, they will ahve less troops attacking/defending docks and hotel, thus making them easier to cap/defend.

Very good indeed Whiskey, I'll start doing that next time I play Muttrah!
              |TG-69th|Kevlar

"Oh I know I don't think I see what I see what I'm thinking."

Comment

I get so frustrated with this map, so any new tactic is worth a try.

Send one squad to docks and then one squad to hotell, then send the rest to take down the AA. Intresting.. :)
                |TG-Irr| Red

Comment

Where's our boys from the newly minted 160th SOAR?!?! This is right up their alley.

CO's need to think about defending more than just flags when you've got this kind of SpecOp action going on!

Cheers,

|

It is the rule in war, if ten times the enemy's strength, surround them; if five times, attack them;
                  if double, engage them; if equal, be able to divide them; if fewer, be able to evade them; if weaker, be able to avoid them.

Comment

Originally posted by eGoatBoy View Post
                    Where's our boys from the newly minted 160th SOAR?!?! This is right up their alley.
                    Ideally, your squad will only need one drop off from the chopper. So if a team really plays well on muttrah, they will have nearly no need at all for choppers.

It was the same on oman in vanilla. The less pilots, the more chance for the us to win.

Comment

Originally posted by BigGaayAl View Post
                      Ideally, your squad will only need one drop off from the chopper. So if a team really plays well on muttrah, they will have nearly no need at all for choppers.

It was the same on oman in vanilla. The less pilots, the more chance for the us to win.
                      Interesting points.

How about close air support though? The USMC has an HH-60 and an AH-6 that could be used to keep the MEC off of the roofs etc. It seems a significant asset to leave behind, even if you have a solid presence on land?

Cheers,

|

It is the rule in war, if ten times the enemy's strength, surround them; if five times, attack them;
                      if double, engage them; if equal, be able to divide them; if fewer, be able to evade them; if weaker, be able to avoid them.

Comment

We're here. Watching, practicing, learning.

We have some other tricks that work well on Muttrah. Low or high aren't the only ways to get in. ;)

In the pursuit of... something.

Comment

Originally posted by eGoatBoy View Post
                          Interesting points.

How about close air support though? The USMC has an HH-60 and an AH-6 that could be used to keep the MEC off of the roofs etc. It seems a significant asset to leave behind, even if you have a solid presence on land?

Cheers,
                          It can be done after all 5 AA guns are down. However, you still have many threats that affect choppers on urban maps, such as Light and Heavy ATs, Grenadier, or even an ordinary Support guy, who can kill the pilot inside the cockpit.

It is a valid tactic, yes, but it can be easily countered if the other team plays right.

Right way to do it is first deploy the pilot squadleaders, engies spawn at them, kill fixed rally points and AA. After this is done to all 3 rally points and 5 AA guns, it should be piece of cake to set up on the city. And then just cap/defend.
                          |TG-69th|Kevlar

"Oh I know I don't think I see what I see what I'm thinking."

Comment

There's FIVE AA's? hm... well only one covers hotel and one covers docks right? so at a minimum, you only need those two down... once you have those two flags, you have a foothold and can ferry troops to shore relatively safely.... setup RP's to the far E and W and start pressing on the city and the MEC RP's.

Comment

MEC no longer get triple-A at docks. As for the suggestion about inserting SL's and having squads / engies / any other variation on them, as far as an opening move it sounds really, REALLY cheap to me.

Originally posted by Goat
                              The way some of our pilots fly, they'll be right down your alley too. Please remember to indicate to the bus driver that you want to get on. Green smoke FTW.

The key to winning Muttrah, is for the CO and SL's to get their act together before ANYONE leaves the carrier deck. If the SL's leave with a clear plan of action for those first flags then there's a much higher chance of capping them. If the CO and SL's retain their wits, there's a good chance of clearing the map out. I don't want to go into Muttrah-specific detail yet, but generally I see many missed opportunities to relieve pressure on a US flag by simply bugging the hell out and capping the next flag with a lightening raid. Where it fails, is people not getting in the radius. This kind of stunt only works well if you have a large number of people on-flag.
                              BFCL TF2 league admin

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X