Kits, Assets, and Organization

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kits, Assets, and Organization

It seems to me that a lot of us get irked over guests or immature players coming into the server to play with the cool toys (kits and assets) without TG style in mind. You know, like John1337 from some random squad jumps in an A10 while there is an A10 squad waiting for it or UltraRambo666 hops in a humvee and drives off at the round start to use it as his personal vehicle instead of transporting troops or of course the multitudes of players making a mad scramble for the marksman, support, HAT, and sniper kits...

I've talked with an admin about it and there is nothing they can do directly to manage this. And at first I thought that that was kind of odd, why wouldn't they want to protect the server so that TG members can get on and play without having to deal with the Romper Room Syndrome (RRS). I was told however, that admins would be happy to deal with players that cannot follow chain of command (SL and CO).

I, in particular, don't find the SL and CO spots to be my favorite, I consider myself to be a pilot first and foremost and it's difficult to do either when operating a chopper. So of course, at first, I was dissapointed that the admins couldn't take care of it because, well, the helipad, as I've found, is where the worst in players come out. And it's pretty obvious, at most times we have a lack of good SLs or even a CO. So I was looking to the admins to deal with it directly.

Just now the picture kind of snapped together. The admins want to keep the game open for us and avoid making micromanaging rules that would be a headache for them to enforce and restrict us as players from playing out.

I need to be asking you guys for help, not the admins.

If we want to play on and organized server, we have to organize it. If we want air assets to go to the air squad, tanks to go to the tanks squad, etc, or divvy up the marksmen, sniper, support, and HAT kits, we have to organize it.

I don't know if this should be part of Whisky's gentleman's agreement but heres...

What I propose:
    • TG members step up to SL more often, even if you don't have a lot of experience.
    • TG members step up to CO, likewise.
    • COs announce that some assets and kits must be cleared through him first (example: A10s, helicopters, tanks, APCs, sniper, marksman, Heavy AT).
    • SLs relay that the system is in place to their SMs and relay requests. They can request restricted kits and assets from the CO and assign them to their squad. SMs can submit a request for a kit to the SL.
    • Likewise the CO can assign kits to squads.
    • If SMs or SLs bypass the system or do not do as instructed, we have an infraction (see below)

If players bypass this system it now falls into enforceable admin rules.

Infractions:
    • If an SM does not listen to the SL, the SL should issue a warning. If it is repeated that SL should inform an admin and include that a warning was already given. If an admin is not present, note the name and PM an admin later. If no admin is present I would recommend kicking him from the squad so that at least it will be more difficult to snake kits.
    • If an SL does not listen to the CO, the CO should issue a warning. If it is repeated that CO should inform an admin and include that a warning was already given. If an admin is not present, note the name and PM an admin later. If no admin is present there is not much you can do.

If we want an organized clean server, we have to do our part to compliment the admins doing theirs.

Can we get more members to step up to take leadership roles? Any of you guys interested in this?

Will the admins hide if we make more work for you or would you enjoy working with the SLs and COs?

[Game rules, announcements, and SOPs ][ ][ ][ ]
    "The success of what we do depends upon people valuing the team over themselves."
    - Wulfyn

Re: Kits, Assets, and Organization

Good post, very thoughtful indeed.
    Asset management is an essential part of any teams strategy. And I think that this is an excellent way to manage the systems we have in place. But there are still a few things to consider. Mainly, the size of the maps and amount of hostile equipment ensures a constant demand for limited kits and vehicles. I suppose if there wasn't such a high demand the kits wouldn't be limited and the vehicles would respawn quickly. There is always the moment where everyone wants the heavy AT kit because a tank is approaching, and there is rarely a time where a marksmen kit wouldn't be helpful. But through clear, concise and logical CO and SL equipment assignments and with proper follow through and punishment there is no reason we shouldn't be able to allot vehicles and weapons fairly, and deploy them effectively.

Comment

Of course it's up to the leadership structure to work that out. For example, if it were me, I'd put a squad or squads with heavy AT near roads, chokepoints, or the frontline. If lots of armor sneaks around the flank I'd either re-assign kits or reposition the squads.

Anyhow, let's avoid tactical discussion for now, that'll be part of the fun...

Right now I just want to see if anyone is even interested in in rallying around taking TG style to the leadership positions, managing assets and kits, and cleaning up the server and teaching guests how it's done.

"The success of what we do depends upon people valuing the team over themselves."
      - Wulfyn

Comment

yea its a great idea, i already do this on other servers: if a squad member repeatedly does not listen to orders, and shows no sign that he wants to play as a team, i will boot him.

if this simple but effective way of disciplining crappy players was applied by all squad leaders on TG server, then these players would have to either create their own squad (and be dealt with by the commander) or they would be forced to leave the server because no one wanted to deal with their uncooperative ****...

i think TG needs alot better COs before you can start doing things like requesting permission for kits and vehicles, however you could probably take steps to get to a point where that could become feasible.

Comment

It would be cool if somehow the co = quartermaster. Any power over kits would be good. E.g. the ability to block any squad from getting any kits or something like that. Assigning kits would be too cumbersome.

Comment

I think this is a fantastic idea and I will certainly help ensure this system has a chance where I can.
            | | |

Comment

What do you think if we had a standard way of naming squads based on the kits /assets :

HELO, JETS, ARMOR, ANTIARMOR, GRUNTS, SNIPER, SUPPLY, PATROL, etc.

Maybe expand the current SOP or add a PR section to it ?

That way the limited assets might get better utilized (e.g. the HAT kits should be requested by people in the ANTIARMOR squads).

DB
              Last edited by Dick Blonov; 03-14-2007, 04:54 PM.

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Comment

I think naming squads based on assets like the currrent SOPs is good. Tanks, helos, jets, etc, are of course going to be focussed on those assets and that is highly unlikely to change during the map unless there is a big problem. And from the perspective of CO, some of those squad names based on assets could be even more broken down, for example, instead of a helo squad on Al Basrah, maybe the CO would like Cobras and BH Transport as 2 seperate entities to be able to communicate with directly.

As far as kits are concerned, it kind of depends on the CO. If it were me, the only squad name I would be ok with would be sniper. But it would probably be a one man operation or two man if the other guy has binoculars and helps the sniper spot targets. However, I don't think a one or two man squad can get the sniper rifle though.

Personally, I wouldn't like COing squads based around kits or named around kits. I would rather assign kits to infantry squads based on where they are and what's going on in the battlefield. If I assign a squad near a mountain I'll tell the SL he can authorize a sniper kit and get him to set up in the hills. On a city map, if I have 4 infantry squads and 2 of them are on the frontline and there is a main road coming in, I'll authorize a HAT to both the frontline squads, and probably marksman as well. I'd be more likely to tell the backline squads defending flags to grab support kits and set up death zones, etc.

Squads may change position or see different opposition; if the squads were based on the kits, I'd have to move entire squads around to deal with situations like enemy tanks depending where they are rolling in, but if the squads were just infantry squads like alpha bravo etc, I could move kits around which would be more effective, I think.

It would also mean we wouldn't have to futz with the SOPs to include kits.

- Wulfyn

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X