Other mods?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other mods?

The only version of BF I have played are Vanilla and Project Reality. The other two that people who I appreciate seem to play are the Tactical Mod and Point of Existance. How do these two stack up to Project Reality??

Re: Other mods?

PoE is faster-paced and features Germans vs Ukrainians; some maps have a lot of armor. Weapons are more lethal than in vanilla. I like PR, but I slightly prefer PoE due to less downtime. Both are great mods.

Tactical Mod was TG's attempt to make gameplay more realistic and teamwork-oriented. Development has been suspended for some time now and it's rarely, if ever, played. Plays somewhat similar to PR 0.4 IMO.

TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran

Comment

I view PoE2 as a happy middle ground between vanilla and PR. There's a lot of room for tactics (no UAV, Scan, Commander Artiller), but it's also a little more "fun" in that you don't die as easily as you do in PR. Also, PoE2 is a MUCH more polished product. PR still has a lot of annoying glitches/bugs to sort out.

Comment

Tac Mod was a homegrown mod to create an environment for better tactics and less arcade features than vanilla. Duke (creator) moved overseas and the development has since stopped. We worked closely with PR and they have incorporated many of the tac mod features in one form or another... and then added a lot more.

PoE2 is a well done mod that can be a lot of fun. It plays much faster but doesn't try to necessarily be realistic but they have removed some of the gamey features of vanilla. PoE2 is more of a skin/object change and not as many new features.

PR is attempting quite a few new things that haven't been done with BF2 so it definitely is more buggy.

PoE2 and PR are great mods that offer something different. Hopefully both will continue to release quality products.
        |TG-12th| asch
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by asch View Post
          PoE2 is more of a skin/object change and not as many new features. .
          I got to disagree there. We changed everything from the ground up with new models, skins, code, sounds, etc. Our choppers and planes fly totally different and operate different than BF2 as one large example. They also interact with other vehicles different with the use of our countermeasure system.

In BF2, the Cobra would use a "jihad" missile to take out targets but in PoE2 we make that missile lock on to its target. The target can then deploy counter measures to break that lock. It gives you as the tanker or IFV driver the chance to use some tactics and skill to avoid being killed unlike in BF2 where you just die.

Speaking of choppers, each one is different just like our other items. We avoid mirror balance at all costs which is something BF2 implemented at all costs. The Tiger is nimble and the pilot controls the main weapons while the co-pilot has the cannon and anti air missiles. But the hind is set up totally different. The hind has more armor and fly’s more like a plane than a chopper much like the real thing. It has seating to carry troops and can take a lot of abuse while protecting those inside. The pilot has control of a fixed cannon and a massive supply of rockets. The co-pilot has the Anti tank missile but still must get the lock on to use it and some anti air missiles. Both choppers fly totally different, have different set ups, different hit points and armor, and function vastly different on the battlefield.

Not to mention our entire arty system but thats another long one. :)

Anyway that is just one example of how PoE2 differs from BF2 and how we are not a skin mod by any means.
          Battlefield Samurai 'Banzaaaiii!!!

Comment

I agree with Whiskey - I often now play a few rounds of PR, depending on the SL and squad I can get into, and the map, etc. - and then jump over to POE2. Have never been back to vanilla. I think POE2 is more fun, in that you don't have to think quite as much, but its still leagues above vanilla.

For me, I sometimes get into squads on POE2 that don't seem to care too much about tactics, but you can still have fun, without all the vanilla idiocy. But if I get into that type of squad in PR, it kills the whole thing.

Comment

Originally posted by [tR]Greasy_mullet View Post
              I got to disagree there.
              I stand corrected. Thanks for pointing those features out.
              |TG-12th| asch
              sigpic

Comment

I think Whiskey said it best. PoE2 finds a happy medium between PR and Vanilla. It has the fast paced action of vanilla without many of its problems. Most things have an effective countermeasure and the mod feels well balanced, with just a couple of annoying but not game ruining exceptions. I haven’t played the TAC mod.

PRM, on the other hand, slows to a snails pace at times, especially if you are waiting for assets to respawn - hate, hate, HATE that - realistic down times on vehicles (what are they, 5 to 7 minutes?) with realistic vulnerabilities but with none of their countermeasures or target detection/acquisition/tracking/elimination suites (re: all of the weaknesses from vanilla). It's even worse if you don't have a SL that knows how to place rally points properly, often meaning a long walk from the nearest spawnable flag when he goes down and your squad wipes. Overall, it makes PRM feel more like an infantry crawl than a battlefield representative of mixed arms combat, which is what makes PoE2 so much more appealing; the downtime - whatever your role - is minimal in PoE2.
                sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X