M95 Uses on Al Basrah

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M95 Uses on Al Basrah

I've used the M95 several times on Al Basrah, and I must say that it is a beefy gun. The bullets range, velocity, and drop are all very convenient and favorable for the long range sniper--however I noticed that it is very capable of eliminating spawn cars in just 3 shots (2 if placed correctly). With this in mind, I think the M95 should more or less be primarily used to engage vehicles and their passengers, rather than be exclusively a normal anti-personnel sniper rifle. I think the gun has the potential to be of great tactical use if applied correctly. The instantaneous damage, the precise handling, and long distance capabilities of the gun can really be put to great use against RPG personnel, spawn cars, and insurgent trucks the in hands of a well concealed and skilled sniper. Snipers with the gun also can say farther from their targets (including vehicles) and effectively eliminate them w/o much bullet drop/ crosshair readjustment than they would with the standard M24 SWS.
    Last edited by smokingGUN; 04-06-2007, 04:55 AM.

|TG-Irr| smok1ngGUN
    Irr. SpecOp. Platoon

Re: M95 Uses on Al Basrah

Someone always has the snipers. Haven't even seen the m95 in all those games, yet I posted the map with the Al Basra kits on it ... how ironic.

I do wonder how people get those; wait around like you wait for a chopper?

Comment

Mostly by playing as normal, but checking the rally point that you spawn in on for available kits every time you spawn. Eventually, they get it.

Comment

See this is one of my biggest problems adjusting to the "gamer life." In real life it is against military ROE to use any thing of that caliber on "soft targets." The rumor goes, back in the 90's a fire base in Somalia came under sporadic small arms fire and small assault vehicles began wall smashes along the perimeter. So a ranger sniper team was dispatched with a m95 in an attempt to stop the vehicles from reaching the wire. Well the Ranger disabled an incoming pick up and the combatants exited the vehicle and the sniper took aim and fired. The end result, well according to the rumor, a single shot stopped the entire assault when the combatants saw the body fly back 30 yards. Again, the story is only a rumor, but the ROE is 100% true. The m95 is a light armor weapon exclusively, however, in games its all fair.

Comment

Originally posted by Crombo View Post
          a single shot stopped the entire assault when the combatants saw the body fly back 30 yards. Again, the story is only a rumor,
          I note that you used the word "rumour", so I'm not picking on you. Is it not a fact of physics that for a target to be propelled 30 yards, the shooter would also be propelled 30 yards in the opposite direction?
          BFCL TF2 league admin

Comment

Originally posted by Root View Post
            I note that you used the word "rumour", so I'm not picking on you. Is it not a fact of physics that for a target to be propelled 30 yards, the shooter would also be propelled 30 yards in the opposite direction?

Not really, the gun is deisgned to distrubite the recoil outwards along the barrel tip and the stock, so the recoil, although it still packs a bit of a kick, goes outwards keeping the gun and shotter relitativly in place.

Comment

Maybe instead of the body flying it was the sheer amount of damage done to it by the m95s round. One of those rounds to center mass on a normal human body.....and that body doesn't HAVE center mass anymore.

Seeing one of my buddies harmed in this way would have a significant detrimental effect on my morale, to say the least.

Comment

I have seen a M95 shoot targets at about 250 Yards away, the sniper shooting the gun is usually prone and prepared for any recoil the gun may have, besides the gun is usually on bipods which also help dissipate some of the recoil along with the weight of the gun. Ever try shooting a 4 pound .300 Weatherby Magnum? It will rip your shoulder off compared to one that weighs almost 11 pounds, which the M95 weighs 23.5 pounds empty without a scope. Anyway, the target usually unprepared will have an impact recoil, causing it to "fly" unless the target is to close for the bullet to have any effect.... bullets can move to fast to have a good impact at a close target, in essence, go through a human or deer and the target only has a hole the size of the bullet caliber. The M95 is one of these bullets that will have this effect on a human target at close range(usually anything less than 2,000 yards), also considered inhumane cause the target WILL NOT die quickly unless of course it is a head shot, which the military shuns against cause of such a little target, it is a chance shot at a good distance, kill the body and the brain will follow.
                Anyone know the reason for FMJ bullets??

The Hague Convention of 1899, Declaration III, prohibits the use in warfare of bullets which easily expand or flatten in the body. (Reason... means the enemy is not intended to be killed but badly injured enough to cease fighting, a soft lead or hollow point bullet would cause more damage to enemy, possibly killing the enemy. Killing the enemy will cause his comrads to continue fighting possibly more determined so. An injured enemy means someone might cease fighting to render assistance to the injured enemy.)

Oh, at 250 yards away the M95 .50 caliber bullet WAS lifting a 200 pound sand bag about 30 feet in the air making it appear that it had exploded. General distance that the .50 caliber bullet can be shot from the M95 and be accurate is about 1.5 miles.

Comment

Originally posted by freekyE View Post
                  Maybe instead of the body flying it was the sheer amount of damage done to it by the m95s round. One of those rounds to center mass on a normal human body.....and that body doesn't HAVE center mass anymore.

Seeing one of my buddies harmed in this way would have a significant detrimental effect on my morale, to say the least.
                  That gets my vote.

Originally posted by Root View Post
                  If the target was sent flying 30 yards, you would be right. The energy required to send that bullet from 0 to about 3000 fps results in recoil (and muzzle flip). Without factoring friction and gravity, that is the maximum energy received at the target, assuming 100% energy transfer (ie, if the bullet did not go through the target and did not lose velocity as it flew to the target). FYI, an M33 .50 cal round has about 4 times the muzzle energy of a 7.62 NATO round. I doubt shooting a 145 pound deer with a .308 sends them flying 6-7 yards (and I don't mean the jerking reaction because it's getting shot).

DB
                  Last edited by Dick Blonov; 04-06-2007, 08:12 PM.

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Comment

I have actually only gotten the m95 a couple of times while playing as an insurgent. I flank around a sniper and take his kit. It's never there to be picked up when I have looked as a US Marine.
                    Plus, isn't very often when the Squad Leader asks someone to go sniper, that I can remember.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

I read somewhere on the net that there was at least one documented case of a Barret blowing a person completely in half. Is that true?

Comment

Originally posted by secret.squirrul View Post
                        I read somewhere on the net that there was at least one documented case of a Barret blowing a person completely in half. Is that true?
                        i've seen footage of anti-sniper teams working taliban down, and causing large portions of the guy to dismember, without getting too graphic. after watching that, i'm sure a sniper round can blow a guy in half. anyone see that newer english sniper rifle featured on future weapons? semi-auto, some massive calibre, thing was a beast... and practically no recoil. i'd buy it :)
                        -dy.21

Comment

Originally posted by dys View Post
                          i've seen footage of anti-sniper teams working taliban down, and causing large portions of the guy to dismember, without getting too graphic. after watching that, i'm sure a sniper round can blow a guy in half. anyone see that newer english sniper rifle featured on future weapons? semi-auto, some massive calibre, thing was a beast... and practically no recoil. i'd buy it :)
                          I think you're talking about the video with the gophers.. or mountain goats.. or something - definitely not insurgents or taliban.

AS50 is the name of the semi-auto sniper rifle which was featured on Future Weapons - its in development for SF teams like the SEALs - don't think any conventional armies are going to adopt it.

Project Reality, Public Relations.

Comment

Originally posted by [R-PUB]Garabaldi View Post
                            I think you're talking about the video with the gophers.. or mountain goats.. or something - definitely not insurgents or taliban.

AS50 is the name of the semi-auto sniper rifle which was featured on Future Weapons - its in development for SF teams like the SEALs - don't think any conventional armies are going to adopt it.
                            i've seen the gopher one too, ha. this is an arm with a hand, which few gophers have... only the good ones.
                            -dy.21

Comment

You know, considering the 30 yards thing, I actually saw an episode of Mythbusters on this. They were testing the hollywood "get shot and fly backward through the air myth" with a variety of weapons (full caliber range of handguns, rifles, automatics and shotguns). The way they tested it was to hang a pig cadaver (to simulate a human body) on a hook, but it was so close to falling off that you could slap it (and not very hard, think a hearty pat on the back from a friend type slap) and it would fall.

The result from this: NO weapon knocked the pig down except for the shotgun with solid shot fired from a distance of 10 feet. So unless you were using some kind of ammo that would distribute the full kinetic energy of the projectile to a wide area on the target, it would simply blow a big hole in whatever got shot. 30 yards is a myth, a HUGE myth. Maybe if you got shot by a cannon, or a non explosive RPG (contradictory, i know, but go with it), something with a large enough projectile that could distribute the impact over a large enough area to retain surface tension of the skin and body and not simply pierce it, it would be possible. But good luck doing it with a high powered 50 cal.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X