"Fear" of Civilians

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Fear" of Civilians

With the up and coming civilian class being introduced to pr and after thinking about it gameplay wise its brought some "red flags" have been going off in my head. Now the generall idea behind civilians as I see it is to add some realism to the game. In reality many a time civies are caught in the crossfire between apposing forces. PR is trying to reflect this and forces will recive a ticket loss for killing civilians. While this part is all fine and dandy I think this will leave it open for a few people to ruin the gameplay for the many. Thing like running infront of nme fire. Blocking tanks/jeeps ect. While yes this does happen in real life, real life also provides a limit to these measures "you actually die, no respawn nothin dead dead dead". In the game world however these stop gap mesures are not in place and this leaves the upcoming game mode open to "suicide tactics" as never seen befor and generall "asshattery" on a more mass scale.

Anyways let me know you opinion.

Re: "Fear" of Civilians

The devs have made this clear

1. any civilian destroyed in a car will be coll damage and no ticket penality to the Corp

2. Any civi destroyed by a vehicle (tank/apc/gunship/jet/chopper/running over in a car, will be coll damage and no ticket penality to the Corp

3. Any jarhead that destroys a civilian with a fire-arm ( I am asuuming mounted 50 cals,) will be subject to a ticket lost.

4. Knifing a civi will equal arresting them. This will also cause the person playing the civi to have a longer respawn timer.

5. civis do not affect the flag radious

6. The devs have also stated the civis will aide their friends in another way besides keeping the corp honest and recon.

7. The cardio endurance for the tanog will be significanlty reduced from the jarhead. Thus, the easier to run them down and arrest them.

8. SLs will not be able to get the civilian kit in order to preven a pac-man affecte when a jarhead is chasing down a civi. "Spawn! Spawn!"

Al of these things will declaw the tangos in .6 and create more realistic fighting conditions.
    (PO3) Marcinko_R. (BF2 PR .509) Squad Member
    (CPO) Marcinko_R. (BF2 PR .509) Squad Leader
    (LCDR) Marcinko_R. (BF2 PR .509) Commander

Squad Member pledge to their SL:
    Squad Leader pledge to their team:
    Commander pledge to their SL:

Comment

Despite the ability to absorb fire, I don't see alot of people interested in being a pure meat shield. The affectiveness of the team would suffer if too many are civs instead of combatants, ie. couldn't stop a flag from being capped
      |TG-12th| tHa_KhAn

XBL GT: Khan58

Comment

The whole idea sounds pretty dumb and pointless to me. I don't see many people actually wanting to play a civ. I mean, let's be honest, we play this game to shoot and kill. If I wanted to play a civilian in a game I'd go buy the Sims or something lame like that.
        | | |

Comment

Originally posted by Rick_the_new_guy View Post
          8. SLs will not be able to get the civilian kit in order to preven a pac-man affecte when a jarhead is chasing down a civi. "Spawn! Spawn!"

Al of these things will declaw the tangos in .6 and create more realistic fighting conditions.
          You've completely lost me here Rick.

Also, "tango" = "target" and is applicable to the OpFor regardless of what faction they belong to. An insurgent player calling a USMC player a tango is just as correct as a UK player calling a Chineses player one. I mention this because many of your posts seem to use the word in a manner that = non-US players. ;)

Originally posted by Battery powered Dog
          The whole idea sounds pretty dumb and pointless to me. I don't see many people actually wanting to play a civ. I mean, let's be honest, we play this game to shoot and kill. If I wanted to play a civilian in a game I'd go buy the Sims or something lame like that.
          Wait and see what the finished civilian product looks like. We all have things that we don't like about the current setup, but the devs generally deliver the goods with all the changes they make. We're just not conditioned to having civilians in the games we play (CS doesn't count).
          BFCL TF2 league admin

Comment

Originally posted by Atomic Dog View Post

Which was my point, the average pubbie won't play this class and thus not using questionable tactics that could spoil fun. This is a class meant to be used by the ultimate tacticians, willing to recon for their team. Imagine how effective a squad could be in setting ambushes using civs as lookouts.
            |TG-12th| tHa_KhAn

XBL GT: Khan58

Comment

Originally posted by tHa_KhAn View Post
              Imagine how effective a squad could be in setting ambushes using civs as lookouts.
              That's right. The reverse also applies - when you see civilians, you need to be ready for that ambush, and you need to approach them in a tactical manner in order to capture them. The tactical possibilities with this mod just keep on coming.
              BFCL TF2 league admin

Comment

If you shoot a civ, can you blame it on the opposing army, just like in RL.

Same for friendly fire?
                |TG|Switch

Better known as:
                That noob who crashed the chopper.
                That noob who ran over the mine.
                That noob who TK'd me with a sniper rifle.
                That noob who hit that APC at 300m with light AT! Our APC...

Comment

Originally posted by Switch View Post
                  If you shoot a civ, can you blame it on the opposing army, just like in RL.

Same for friendly fire?
                  Or you could knife them to simulate a capture, as per the devs intention. It's also far more in keeping with what TG is about.
                  BFCL TF2 league admin

Comment

With regards to numba 8.

I know the SL for the Rebels will need to be the spec ops kit, I think they are limited.

What I meant by "Spawn! Spawn!", a civi could lead a jarhead in to arrest them, but have five guys spawn in on him/her and waste the jarhead.

Like in pac-man when you would lure the ghost to you, then eat a big yellow thing and then the hunter becomes the hunted.

I'll need to PM fuzzy to conform all this stuff I posted up top.

____

I have played many a game were I have not shot at anyone or killed anyone. The position I was playing was the CO. The game is not all fireing a weapon at other people.
                    (PO3) Marcinko_R. (BF2 PR .509) Squad Member
                    (CPO) Marcinko_R. (BF2 PR .509) Squad Leader
                    (LCDR) Marcinko_R. (BF2 PR .509) Commander

Squad Member pledge to their SL:
                    Squad Leader pledge to their team:
                    Commander pledge to their SL:

Comment

I think the civilian kit will have more of a tactical impact if they are skinned to look like insurgents or vice versa. This would add a lot more realism to the mod and the whole "fear of civilians" idea would be far more amplified. It'd be awesome to see a "civilian" and then be struck with paranoia as to whether or not they are what they appear. It'd also be nice if there was a civilian suicide bomber kit. Armed with no weapons, but they have the ability to detonate themselves with the hope of killing the enemy around them.
                      | | |

Comment

I think it would be great to have Civilians running around in the game. I don't think I will be one myself, but it might be neat to have another thing making you think twice about killing that guy in your crosshairs. It would be even better if they had AI controlling them. Just wishful thinking, though.

Comment

I'd get the civi skin with a big target on it's back. Though I would probably play one to set ambushes and wander around telling my team where and what everyone else is doing. but...... Then I'd be arrested on some trumped up charge and sent to Cuba :O (Just kiddin - no harm meant on the Cuba thing)
                          sigpic
                          Don't let the bastards grind you down!

Comment

Originally posted by Rick_the_new_guy View Post
                            Um, what? Did you read what you wrote before you posted it? I appreciate your contribution to the discussion, and your other 7 points are valid, but... I can't understand what you just wrote here.
                            The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. ~
                            I have a tendency to key out three or four things and then let them battle for supremacy while I key, so there's a lot of backspacing as potential statements are slaughtered and eaten by the victors. ~
                            Feel free to quote me. ~

Comment

This actually sounds very very very interesting to me. I've always been one for unusual. The idea of playing the role of a civi, doing special types of recon in a slightly covert, overt manner and such.. oh man... sounds awesome. Especially without actually having any weapons. There are so many times in dystopia I would just sit and observe the opfor and report on their movements... this is similar except I'm even less likely to get shot.

I might just get BF2 for this if it gets implimented...

Not for the Glory. Not for the Honor. For the Team.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X