new to pr...help id'ing enemy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new to pr...help id'ing enemy

Hi i'm new to pr and played a little this weekend. I had trouble identifying the enemy. If I waited for the the tags to show up I usually got killed. One time I was following a tank and an enemy got behind the tank and C4'ed it. I just watched because I thought it was a team mate. Any advice for a newby. Thanks in advance.
    The Old Guy
    kin3
    sigpic

Re: new to pr...help id'ing enemy

Use the Commo rose to Spot the enemy, then glance at your minimap. You will either have a blinking dot or more likely a question mark. If you see a question mark on top of a green dot on your minimap, hold fire. Otherwise give 'em your best shot.

Lucky Shot

Comment

well familiarization is all i can suggest, the thing is with PR is that when you are unseen scanning the battlefield, try and run your crosshairs over the guy to catch a blue tag... if you dont see one in 2 seconds fire.... and sometimes you will kill team mates... it happens, as long as you apologise and dont make a habbit of it there is no problem...

other than that there a subtle differenced in the character moddling, which only being familiar with the game will solve....

but have a look here for some more info that might help...

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/battlef...mbat-tips.html

and also please take some time to read the SOP's and announcments to acustom yourself to the style of gameplay on the server... some things we do here are alot different to most all other places.

www.TeamElement.com

Comment

Thanks guys. I'm not new to TG it's just that I have been playing COD2 and decided to give PR a try. I guess that I will just have to play(and die) a lot until I get more familiar with the game. So if you see me in game just be patient with me.
        The Old Guy
        kin3
        sigpic

Comment

If you're very new, give it a little time - you'll soon get the "feel" of the friendly ID system (knowing where to point, how long to wait). I say this as a pretty "green" recruit myself, it's only just becoming intuitive. But stick with it. ;)

Check your map though. Get used to playing with different zoom levels. If the enemy hasn't spotted you, you have plenty of time to check your map for blue dots in your field of view.

Get to know uniforms - it becomes a lot easier to identify enemy forces quickly when you know what you and your team-mates look like compared to the enemy. Some uniforms look quite similar, but some look radically different.

Spot them as a last resort, but use it wisely - lots of flashing red question marks on the map is a hinderance to the rest of your team, and may lead to their death if they turn to face a threat which does not exist (in case you don't know, successfully spotting an enemy will result in a red dot, showing the enemies position. Spotting a friendly will result in a red question mark at his location, but unlike the red dot, will not move. It can confuse people, so think of others).

Dudeman:
          well familiarization is all i can suggest, the thing is with PR is that when you are unseen scanning the battlefield, try and run your crosshairs over the guy to catch a blue tag... if you dont see one in 2 seconds fire.... and sometimes you will kill team mates... it happens, as long as you apologise and dont make a habbit of it there is no problem...
          Familiarization is key, but I don't agree with the bit about "if you dont see one in 2 seconds fire.... and sometimes you will kill team mates".

TK's do happen, but you make it sound a little nonchalant given that you're giving advice to a newcomer. If there is any doubt, it is better to spot them, than open fire on them, IMO. Spotting will (95% of the time) give you clarification. I don't know how the others feel, but I'd think it better to die trying to make out a team-mate than to shoot a team-mate.

I am interested on people's views on this one though...
          7Shades

How sweet, thought lifeless, yet with life to lie,
          And, without dying, O how sweet to die!
          - from Thomas Warton's "Ode to Sleep"

Comment

If you ever see me in game...join my squad:) I will give you the ins'n'outs of PRM. Plus...I am a really good teacher:)
            "Dirtboy is super awesome, and chicks dig him too!"- Everyone

Comment

7shades - very valid point. I have been known to TK but, most of the time, it is in confined areas where I get surprised. Shoot first and say sry later (mostly on a hotly contested flag or building). To all that I have TK'd in this manner you have my sincerest apology. To all of those who have approached my skull and crossbone slams etc. I say What The Heck. I have intentionally shot two teamates recently (yesterday) = 1 who was apparently sleeping at the helm of a boat (Frost something) and, after having taken the TK so the boat could be used for transport, some knob took the boat and did not pick me or anyone else up. He was #2 because he took just as long to get to the West Beach as I did in humping it over there and he was still alone in the boat.
              sigpic
              Don't let the bastards grind you down!

Comment

Line 'em up in your sights and see if a friendly blue tag comes up. Check your GPS screen to see if there's any friendlies shown in your arc of fire.

Depending on which map you're playing, it can be very easy or quite difficult to tell the 2 factions uniforms apart.

USMC desert MARPAT is very different from both the MEC uniforms and the mufti worn by the Insurgents.

The same is true for the UK's desert DPM against MEC uniform on the Airport map.

The trouble starts on the maps where the UK and US forces are fighting the PLA as all 3 woodland patterns look similar at a distance. One thing to look out for is that the PLA soldier's body armour/webbing tends to look far darker than their uniforms.

USMC body armour is a close match to their uniforms (desert or woodland) and the Brit stuff tends to look a little lighter (washed out) in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by IOOB_583 View Post
                  7shades - very valid point. I have been known to TK but, most of the time, it is in confined areas where I get surprised. Shoot first and say sry later (mostly on a hotly contested flag or building). To all that I have TK'd in this manner you have my sincerest apology. To all of those who have approached my skull and crossbone slams etc. I say What The Heck. I have intentionally shot two teamates recently (yesterday) = 1 who was apparently sleeping at the helm of a boat (Frost something) and, after having taken the TK so the boat could be used for transport, some knob took the boat and did not pick me or anyone else up. He was #2 because he took just as long to get to the West Beach as I did in humping it over there and he was still alone in the boat.
                  Bad drills there mate. Report him to the CO or Admin and let them deal with it.

Comment

For identification my most definite advice to you is learn to look, and notice uniform it's not easy to tell a far away USMC soldier from a chinese one. but you CAN learn to do it and it will lead to a much better game for you as you don't need the minimap as your advice and will allow you to be quicker, generally the technique i use is if i see someone questionable to me, i right click and use the sights and follow him with the sights, sights over him i check the uniform, once i've ID'd the uniform by eye he gets what he deserves for being spotted by me :)

Comment

Kin...glad to see you on the PRM side of the house. I saw Obi on the other day too. I've been hopelessly addicted to PRM with the result of zero COD2 time of late... Feel a bit remorseful on that as you guys are a great bunch of TGers ...anyhow...You'll get it eventually I'm sure. Make it a habit to check your gps before firing. Quickly you'll get the hang of quick identification. TK's are an issue in this mod but it heightens the drama after all, doesn't it.

As someone else said previously...feel free to join up with me any time. I do some SLing once in a while and would be glad to have you in my squad....Look for a TG Style squad and it'll likely be me...Oh and password nights see the best game play...Sunday's and Thursdays. Cheers mate.
                      sigpic
                      |TG-1st|Grunt
                      ARMA Admin (retired)
                      Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Frequently check your minimap and full map to know where friendlies are... if you're surrounded by friendlies it's tough, but, for example, if you're on the west side and all blue forces are to your east... it's open season on anything to your west.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirtboy View Post
                          join my squad
                          Yeah, look for a squad named "BLOODFARTS" or something equally disgusting.
                          The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. ~
                          I have a tendency to key out three or four things and then let them battle for supremacy while I key, so there's a lot of backspacing as potential statements are slaughtered and eaten by the victors. ~
                          Feel free to quote me. ~

Comment

This is why I like TG , you guys are great. Thanks for the squad invites and the good info. See you in game.
                            The Old Guy
                            kin3
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Terminal Boy View Post
                              Bad drills there mate. Report him to the CO or Admin and let them deal with it.

Blasted both their names on the talky at least 3 times. no reaction - waited in boat for 4 minutes with no motion on the first guy. 2nd guy was 10 seconds b4 round ended and my frustration got the worst of me :(
                              sigpic
                              Don't let the bastards grind you down!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...