Preventing Auto Squad Leading?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preventing Auto Squad Leading?

Is there any way to prevent from being made squad leader when the current leader leaves? Or is there a way to pass it along to someone else once you have it?

I do not know how to be a squad leader and have no desire to become one, can I prevent it?

Romans 3:23

Re: Preventing Auto Squad Leading?

Yeah, I wish the SL could nominate a successor.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. ~
    I have a tendency to key out three or four things and then let them battle for supremacy while I key, so there's a lot of backspacing as potential statements are slaughtered and eaten by the victors. ~
    Feel free to quote me. ~

Comment

There is no way to prevent it. When the SL leaves the person with the highest score is made SL. If you don't want to lead you have a couple of options.

Tell your squad that you don't want to SL and leave the squad and rejoin. That will bump the next person into the SL slot.

Your second option is to tell your squad you don't want to SL and ask for a volunteer to take over. Have them leave the squad and create a new one then everyone joins that one.

The final option is to suck it up and be SL. The best way to help your team is to provide some guidance for your crew. I have seen the little dance that everyone does destroy a squad. That is not good for the team.
      Retired 6th DB

Comment

HOG,

I encourage you to try to SL. Sometimes just hanging back and directing opens up a lot of options you may not have noticed before. There are many things that I notice when I am not on point or worrying about keeping the SL alive..etc. Just my opinion, SL can be exciting or it can be a drag. It seems that people are wanting to SL less and less, which means I find myself doing it more and more. I am no where near a good SL, but I try my best and try and put real life lessons into BF2.

Just some food for thought. If you want to try SL'ing tonight (pw night) I'll join you and give you all the support you need.
        "Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results." Gen. George Patton

Comment

I might play around with it some today while I am playing and then try it tonight on the PW server.

They still need a "Promote to Squad Leader" option in the squad menu.

Comment

HOG, as with a lot of the other guys, I encourage you to SL. I encourage everyone to SL. Being a good SL is something that everyone needs to know how to do for just this kind of situation.

Now, theres a difference between being a good SL and being a super-oragnized SL. A super organized SL will play the game 1st-MIP style, with fireteams, specific objectives for each and very strong micro-managing of his squad. Not everyone likes this kind of gameplay, so it's not what you need to learn to be a good SL.

Heres some basic stuff to make you a SL that nobody will mind playing under:
            1. Orders. If you get SL'ed by default cause someone leaves, always clarify your orders with the CO. Immediately ask for new orders. If the CO repeats your previous order, go with it. If he gives you a new objective, same deal. This will give you an immediate sense of direction. Make sure these new orders are quickly communicated to your squad.

2.Regroup and move. Chances are, if you're in the fray and you get stuck with SL, you're going to be spread out. Move yourself to a secure (or at least fairly covered) location and tell your squad to regroup on you. Formulate your plan of attack and issue orders to your squad members. Execute accordingly.

3. Get your O-kit. I know you may not like having the officer kit, especially if you're someone like me who specializes one particular kit or another, but if you're the SL, it's your job. Move to a friendly supply area FAST and get your officer's kit. This will allow you to deploy a RP for your squad so you dont have to spawn at your UCB or some other far off CP every time and move out. If you cant get a kit, try to stay alive as long as possible so your squad has a place to spawn, then as soon as you get waxed, which you ineviably will, get the kit and regroup with your squad.

4. Take control. This doesnt mean turn into a miser with your squad and give them harsh orders with harsher punishment if they dont listen. It simply means that you are the SL now and you need to play your role. If you want specific kits, tell people to pick them up. If you notice that your squad is playing without a medic, ask for someone to volunteer, and if nobody does, assign someone the role. You're the SL, if they dont want to listen, theyre more than welcome to join another squad. Be nice about it, as I said, and there generally wont be any problems.

5. Communicate communicate communicate. As SL, you're the liason between your squad and the CO. You're also the "brains" of your squad. Keep your guys in constant communication. Tell them to call their contacts with the enemy so you can have a good battlefield picture. Repeat those contacts back to your squad so everyone gets a double dose of information. Make regular reports to the CO. This way, everyone has a good idea of whats going on. Heres a couple examples:
            Typical situation with sighting a hostile -
            SM1- I've got a couple guys moving in from the west.
            SL to squad- Copy that. Guys, we have incoming from the west, eyes open.

Being rushed at a CP by multiple hostiles
            SM1- We've got at least one or more squads coming up over the hill to the south!
            SL to squad- Copy that. Guys, take covered postitions and direct fire toward the hill at the south, weve got lots of company headded our way.
            SL to CO- Squad X has multiple enemy squads inbound to our position. Request immediate reinforcements.
            CO to SL- Copy that Squad X, Squad 2 move to reinforce at (wherever).

6. Have fun. Being SL doesnt mean that you cant shoot people. Actually, your gun with the O kit is going to be more accurate than most because you've generally got a scope. Shoot all the enemies you want. Just remember to do the stuff your squad needs FIRST. After that, dont hesitate to jump into the fray with your guys.

Bottom line is, that stuff that I rattled off is basic SL etiquette. Take care of your guys first and make sure you communicate. If you follow those simple proceedures, you'll be a SL that people WANT to lead them instead of someone who people jump ship on as soon as they see your name. Last thing though, if you have any questions and you get stuck with SL, instead of running from it, ask the guys in your squad for help. Chances are, especially on TG, you'll have one or more experienced SL's in your squad who would be more than happy to give you a hand.

/ferris out.

Comment

Great advice from Ferris. I would just add that it is helpful to let your guys know why you are doing something. It really helps the squad feel "involved".

"Guy's let's move to the marker before we move on the flag. That will give us the high ground. Fire Condition red please."
              Retired 6th DB

Comment

Very nice tips Ferris, thank you.

Comment

Ok I tried my hand at some squad leading and I have a few questions.

Do you HAVE to visually see an area to be able to put a mark on it to tell the team where to go to attack/defend/move?

Also once you have an officer's kit, how often can you change the rally point?

Comment

Just bring up your Squad Leader map with CAPSLOCK (default key) and right-click anywhere on the map to set a marker.
                    On that screen you can also manage your squad (invite, kick, lock).

I think in PR 0.5 you can set a new rally point every minute.
                    former TacticalGamer European Division

A Tactical Gamer since 2005 (the glorious days of BF2)

Comment

Thanks man.

Comment

Glad to see you taking up the task HOG. Isnt as scary as you thought it was, is it? :D

Comment

It's pretty fun except I love the Spec Ops kit and the rifleman kit (or other ammo supply kit).

One thing I hate is letting my squad down though or just not being a good SL due to inexperience.

Comment

This happen to me all the time, becuase usually I'm second in points.
                            Once we do the dance, and I end up as SL again I suck it up, and lead.
                            Only thing I hate is that for some reason folks get all quiet all of a sudden.
                            When I ask them for intel to base decisions and next move I get is crickets. *chirp *chirp.

What really pisses me off though is the SL that leaves, becuase he just got owned in the battle. quits before the battle is over, and he gave up becuase it seemed a losing battle. I usually try to make the best, but its tough when every one else is being hammered, and the direction is lost mid way.

Comment

I posted this in the PoE2 forum a while back, but it applies here as well:

Originally posted by WhiskeySix
                              Just wanted to post a note to squad leaders.

When, for whatever reason, you need to leave the game, please close out your squad! Just leaving the game without doing this first can leave a mess behind you, as the rest of your guys are forced to play squad-leader roulette. This often creates a scenario that hurts the server:

Your old squad ends up with a SL without VOIP, that doesn't know what TG-style teamwork is all about, or that doesn't even know he's SL! People then join this dysfunctional squad only to find out there's no VOIP at all happening and an SL not giving orders. (Once this happens, it needs to be reported, but following this protocol can eliminate the problem before it starts!). Plus, it's disappointing to see a squad named "12th" or "lucky" or "33rd" or "teamwork" with room in it, only to find out there isn't a single TG'er in there and little to no teamwork happening.

Anyway, here's how you should do it:
                              1. Tell the squad you're leaving, and that someone should start a new squad.
                              2. Hit <CAPSLOCK> to bring up the squad screen
                              3. Lock the squad by clicking on the pad-lock icon
                              4. Select the "Manage" button at the bottom
                              5. In the right pane, scroll to the top, select all squad members, and hit the "APPLY" button. (This kicks everyone from the squad)
                              6. In the left pane, click the "Leave Squad" button
                              7. Disconnect from server/Close BF2.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X