My disgust for Al Basrah!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My disgust for Al Basrah!

Well let me start off in saying this thread is NO disrespect for anybody just for this piece o' crap map. We had alot of little side discussions regarding this map. But I want to get a discussion going ONLY about this.

Here are my reasons why it is a poor map...

1. The people switching before the end of the map. I KNOW you have seen this before.
    2. The lack of assets and Anti Air measure. Sure we have AA guns and but they immediatly get destroyed and the SA-7's are scattered.
    3. A server killer...'nuf said.
    4. The inablity to revive...I know that they dont have this IRL, but they dont have tanks either.
    5. The CRAPPY weaponry.
    6. It lasts WAY TOO LONG.
    7. As USMC, you notice 50% of your team waiting at main base for Cobra's and A10's.
    8. Attracts people who DON'T play the way we at TG do. Fragmonkeys and people who just want to rack the kills up! I am not saying all, but alot.

What is your opinion on this matter and please don't make this into an arguement...I dont want it closed:)
    "Dirtboy is super awesome, and chicks dig him too!"- Everyone

Re: My disgust for Al Basrah!

This pubbie magnet works the same way as de_dust2 for Counter-Strike: Source. It's the most popular fragmonkey map (probably because of the M95), having almost as many 24/7 servers as de_dust2 itself. I personally don't mind the Insurgent team; their weapons are bearable for the close quarters combat, and the severe specialized kit limitations are great for getting rid of the kitwhores. The main problem as I see it: the A-10s. They're quite a bit of overkill for infantry (hence the nickname "tank buster"), and I dislike them equally as much when I play USMC, because they still prevent me from communicating with my squad.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. ~
    I have a tendency to key out three or four things and then let them battle for supremacy while I key, so there's a lot of backspacing as potential statements are slaughtered and eaten by the victors. ~
    Feel free to quote me. ~

Comment

signifigant changes are in bound for this map.....

IMO al basrah currently is PR's best AND worst map, for various reasons.

al basrah v2 is basically a complete rework of the map, in v0.6 it will play NOTHING like it currently does.

so yea, right now al basrah plays prety crappy, but in the future expect much better gameplay :)

Comment

Originally posted by fuzzhead View Post
        signifigant changes are in bound for this map.....

IMO al basrah currently is PR's best AND worst map, for various reasons.

al basrah v2 is basically a complete rework of the map, in v0.6 it will play NOTHING like it currently does.

so yea, right now al basrah plays prety crappy, but in the future expect much better gameplay :)
        Great news...thanks:)

Comment

I love Basrah, being fairly new it gives you a ton of learning experience if you do not want to be a flymonkey.

Things that need changing IMO are the amount of air support USMC gets, 2 of every type is overkill but I love the noise and excitement of things blowing up all over, helis flying close by and everyone taking cover, and the A10 sweeping through facility. That is the sound of war.

The urban and suburban settings rock with the maze of alleys and rooftop access points between mosque and facility.

The Jihad cars and RPGs are more than enough to defend or capture if the whole team works together. (big if I know)

I can't wait to see the changes coming but I don't think it is THAT bad now. I've been in some seriously close matches.

Romans 3:23

Comment

1. Can't argue with that.

2. It's easy enough to research where the SA7's are. The triple-A doesn't do anything to help defend facility, however there's hardly been a rash of quality air insertions. Cobra pilots tend to be like sniper whores, in that they're only in it for their personal score. This alone reduces the effectiveness of the air units. I frequently see both 60s on the deck for an entire map.

3. The server remains full for Basrah and many of us enjoy the map.

4. The inability to revive isn't specific to this map, so it's a non-point.

5. The weapons available aren't specific to this map, so again it's a non-point.

6. It's SUPPOSED to last a long time. Any map that lasts < 2 hours isn't really fun at all.

7. This is due to smacktards on the server, not the map itself. Again, a non-point.

8. The server has the wrong kind of people on it all day, every day. Basrah doesn't cause their number to increase, nor does it drive quality players off the server.
            BFCL TF2 league admin

Comment

Originally posted by Root View Post

7. This is due to smacktards on the server, not the map itself. Again, a non-point.
              The map cause this though.

Comment

I was in Dirtboy's squad and felt his disgust. I however love this map and especially enjoy the tactical opportunities it presents. You have to have a plan and not rush the flag. This map can be enjoyable if you have several things.

1. A commander on the US side.
                2. Competent or semi-competent squad leaders on both sides. This really makes the difference.
                3. Most importantly play according to the TG rule set.

Now what is a competent or semi-competent SL.... I'll leave you to discuss.
                "Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results." Gen. George Patton

Comment

[QUOTE=Root;690003]6. It's SUPPOSED to last a long time. Any map that lasts < 2 hours isn't really fun at all.

/QUOTE]

Sometimes such a long game can be cool, however most of the time it is not. Good luck finding a commander to play 2h +... Everyone knows it's not going to happen. Oh well maybe the CO is THAT interesting to play that I will change my mind eh fuzzhead? I'll just suppose it will be that interesting since it's no use worrying.

Yesterday I had a great epic round in cor's squad on Basra. We even won by boring the insurgents into sleep, then using a fast "surge" to finish it with bleed.

To have fun on this map you have to see it more as a role playing game maybe.

Comment

My love for the map changes from round to round, but usually not very happy with the round, even if my team wins.

One of the best chats I have ever seen in game happened on the smaller version of this map last night.

People were talking about how quickly the US was getting spanked, and someone mentioned "what do you expect when the US starts the round bleeding tickets?"
                    Someone else said something like "who's idea was it to get into this mess out numbered and bleeding tickets"

Then they said "Donald Rumsfeld?"

Sorry if your a fanboy, but either way it was still funny. Guess you would have had to been there.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

haha,think i was there!

I love this map, mainly because i have been playing in roots squad on it, and we have a very effective strategy going on, anyone who has played in it can judge that themselves.......

However, it usually means we need an effective friendly squad on the map also, so when the MIP or someone of their calibre are on, we know we can push the insurgents hard. My only problem with it is the A10's.I personally cant fly in PR, and i secondly think im more effective on the ground, but i find these things a nusance. Every time they fly over, im looking for cover!And the noise...lol, realistic i no, but my headphones have a vibrate function and thats a sure fire way to a migrane!:) The A10 take people who would be good on the ground away from the fight, and i have only twice saw them used effectively.

My only concern for 0.6 is the loss of Steel Thunder, but im not trying to hijack thread, so ignore this point!
                      I look forward to the changes on the map however, and live in hope!

Comment

I think its so popular because we have removed virtualy every other air map from our rotation.

I get very tired when fed a steady diet of infantry maps, and I like playing as infantry. But I just need the feeling of total combined arms mayhem or the battlefield just seems bland, and unrealistic. BF2 was made for having attack choppers on the prowl and the sound of afterburners overhead. Armor roaming the battlefield, having to be dealt with if you want to move and survive. Removing these battlefield obstructions just removes alot of the challenge and alot of the fun imo. It puts BF2 into a little box.

I'd also like to see a few vanilla maps incorporated into PR's rotation, but with PR assets. Having said that, I like Al Basrah.

I think the insurgent's grappling hook is the most overlooked feature found on Al Basrah. It can keep an insurgent squad leader alive, concealed, and acting as a spotter/spawn point.

Comment

there was one night when i was on al basrah and my squad members (we were on the insurgent team) and squad leader were talking about how they didnt like this map. this is because on the 64 size, the US team almost always stays at their main to wait for an air vehicle, thus leaving the insurgents to sit and wait 3-4 hrs until the next map is ended. and when on the 32 size, the US team has NO air support so they can win the map in about an hour or so. this is because the insurgents dont have defibulators. (although i myself like the fact that the PR members made that happen)

I like this map sometimes but only when i have a good squad that on the US team isnt a air vehicle wanter or when on the insurgents team is a squad that doesnt just sit at one base, but rather goes on local patrols when the insurgents have all the flags they can have. *cough*hint for TG*cough*
                          sigpic

Comment

Commanding on Basrah doesn't work

Trust me, I've tried it.

If you like, you may contribute to my thread about the stupid locations of Anti Aircraft guns in Al Basrah.

realitymod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19727

Comment

for your point on the weapons- the ak on most insurgent kits is fairly lame, but the war veterans (?) g3 is all i use, besides the nade launcher attachment sometimes. i'd rework the other kits a little, like having more first aid packs, improving the molotov, and upping the rpg accuracy a little so it's doesn't veer off until 60yds or something.

worst quirk i have though- the a-10 vs doombikes. they appear on the hud, which is insane. may as well give them donkey carts. worst yet though, is they sometimes appear on the hud after you get off, so if you're hiding behind the first building up at the airport, there's a chance that you'll still get tagged.
                              -dy.21

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X