Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proposal to help clean up server

hey guys...

I want to propose a slight addendum to our procedure for reporting problem players. I think it would be helpful (to both admins and players) to establish a simple, standardized format for reporting rules violations over in-game global chat. I suggest we use the following format:

REPORTING: playername - violation - map - gameclock

This is what it might look like ingame:
    |TG-12th|WhiskeySix: REPORTING: 1337d00d - not following SL orders - mau - 42:17

It's a simple, "low overhead" change, but I think it would help for several reasons. First, for the admin team dealing with a difficult game to monitor, this format would make violations stand out more clearly in the chat logs. It would also allow admins to look back for rules-violators during off-hours when there may have been no admin coverage. When the same player is reported on multiple occasions, admins can take action after the fact. Also, in addition to any potential gains realized by the admins, I can see several ways that this would benefit us (the players) as well:

1) Standardized reports are official reports - This would elevate them above the status of some random stranger stating a whiny, subjective opinion.

2) Anything we can do to simplify things for players will help increase the number of reports. The game moves quickly, and even just having to think about what to type when filing a report can be enough of a hurdle to make some one say screw it, and move on without reporting the offender. This standard format would let people take 15 seconds to enter a quick, "fire and forget" report.

3) Since these 'official' reports would be made in global chat, hopefully those breaking the rules will notice that they've been reported and stop what they're doing without requiring admin intervention.

4) The snowball effect: By seeing how quick/easy it is to report violations, others (even visitors) may be encouraged to do the same. I think a lot of people are shy about calling others out because they don't want to "get into it" with the violator; perhaps a standardized, objective/emotionless format would help?

5) Perhaps most importantly, it empowers the player. A lot of pent-up frustration has surfaced recently about a perceived inability to improve the server. Maybe this would help mitigate some of that - contrast the following:

|TG-12th|Whiskeysix: h4ckb0t, please do not SL without giving orders!
    First, it's likely that I won't get any feedback indicating my 'report' was noticed by an admin - so I feel like I might have just wasted my time. Second, it's not obvious to admins that my text was intended to be a 'report' in the first place! Finally, my statement sounds like a personal, subjective opinion - one which is likely to get an 'immature' response from the violator.

|TG-12th|Whiskeysix: REPORTING: h4ckb0t - not giving SL orders
    First, it's not addressed to the violator - it's a report to the admins about a rules violation. Second, I can respond to any potential response by the violator with "it's a server rule", and be done with it. Finally, I feel good about what I just did because I know I haven't just "wasted my valuable gaming time". I know the violation has been noted "on the record", and will get noticed by admins - whether they're currently scanning the global chat or not.

Sorry to take so many words to describe something so simple :row__593:. Obviously this isn't intended to be a cure-all - we still need to fill leadership roles in the server, refer people to the forums, etc. It's just something simple that I think could really make a difference.

Re: Proposal to help clean up server

You've gotten lazy with your wallpaper selections. Didn't it used to change weekly?
    |TG-33rd|Calvin

Comment

Great idea, we could have it universally in all TG servers.
      |TG-Irr| Red

Comment

I think this is a great idea, however I'm not sure how many people will catch on. Think about how hard it is just getting people to play by the rules - of either the game itself, or TG's policies.

Regardless, any such efforts like this make the admin's job easier. We can't stress enough how important it is to make accurate complaints like this.

Comment

If that format is used, would it be possible to run some type of script that would filter the complaints out and capture their PBID, or some other unique identifier?

Comment

I LOVE this idea...in theory. But it has one big hole: who can use it?
            If we make it open to anyone, every smacktard who gets mad because he got rocked by a sniper a mile away will be reporting people for hacking. If we limit it to admins, we're no better off than before. If we limit it to SM's, its a middle ground, but then non-SM's dont have any real recourse for policing the server.

Just something to consider before we put this to use. :)

Comment

The intention was that it be a simple tool for everyone to use. The goal is to get the reports flowing in. Leave it the admins to filter the "non-responsive CO" from the "hax!" accusations. :row__593:

Comment

I think this is an excellent idea, Whiskey.

The more information players can provide the easier it is for admins to round up those people causing disruptions on the server.

So, say you see a bunnyhopper but since he's an enemy there's no nametag. If you could even just jot down your name, the map, location (CP name, etc), that would make it possible for us to track down the individual by pulling the BFR file of that particular round. If you can type out that info in global chat, as Whiskey stated, this should eventually have a psychological effect on players to settle down and obey the rules. Once they realize the guy whose name was mentioned for intentional TK'ing yesterday is not able to gain access to the server today, they might start to take those in-game reports more seriously.

We admins might not be able to investigate every single complaint by pulling BFR files if the numbers become overwhelming, but simple, concise and relevant information from players will go a long way in cleaning up the server. We'll certainly take a look at the most blatant offenses, and the lesser ones if there's time available.

I also suggest you PM such information to an admin as well, since the global chat reports may possibly get lost in the Quartermaster spam.

There will always be new players who don't know how to play PRM, or know the rules at TG, so the server will never be 100% perfect. Some rounds are obviously going to be more "epic" than others; some rounds are going to be downright lamentable. As long as the regular PRM players do their part in reporting problematic players in a useful manner, we can at least make TG the best PRM server for tactics and teamwork.
                Last edited by Coridon; 04-26-2007, 08:18 AM. Reason: "We admins..." paragraph not entirely clear

Comment

Isn't there an even easier way to include the players full name w/o typing by using the the number (1-64) which you see on the scoreboard? In 42 you could just type AB 13 and it would Add Buddy (player #13) Just a thought to help streamline the process and make it more likely to be used. Also, I bet theres a smarty pants here who could right an app for the G15 keyboard to do it.

Comment

When I get some time, I'll be updating a few announcements to better reflect this.
                    |TG-12th| asch
                    sigpic

Comment

I may be just out of tune and missed some posts, but is this another reason to show the OpFor names? Is there a thread somewhere that discussed why this was done for PR? Is it a reality thing?

Comment

I used this today and it worked great
                        doYouEvenLuftwaffe

Comment

Originally posted by Portable.Cougar View Post
                          I used this today and it worked great
                          I'd also like to add that it was great that you sent this text across several times. I can't watch the chat logs every second, so it helps to see it come across the logs a couple of times.
                          |TG-12th| asch
                          sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...