This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Assassinating CO's and Active Assets

I was pretty sure that the rules OK'd main base incursions with the intent of killing the CO along with his assets.

I'd like to clarify this.

Here's the situation that brought this one.

As a british engi on Ghost train I was on arty demo duty, hiding in the woods and destroying arty once it was repaired (also taking out the trenches rally as needed). The big fat chopper starting buzzing over head and I got an Idea. I ran over to their main base with the intent of waiting for it to land and possibly killing the CO that was causing us so much trouble.

I was hidden outside their main base and I watched the chopper leave and return several times. I also spotted the CO laying on the ground, unhidden.

I made my way in base as soon as the chopper returned from another drop off, then laid down next to the CO. To avoid base rape accusations i just asked the team 'is it ok for me to take out the CO in base'. I expected the answer to be a resounding yes, but wanted to make sure to play nice. One prominent TG spoke up and said no no no. Everyone else yelled yes yes yes and pleaded for me to kill the damn CO to stop the arty and sat coverage support. Anywho, i spent a few min begging (all while laying down hidden in their base) but i never killed the CO and i never blew the chopper flying around with my C4 on it.

I understand and agree with the rules on killing spawnees and taking out or boobytrapping fresh assets.

The CO is not a spawnee, infact, he's doing all his fighting from his main base. He's active as hell. If he choses not to hide and is spotted by me on the ground, or by our CO from the sky, I don't see why he's not a valid target. Besides, he can spawn all over the map at any RP, if he choses. If he decides to lay out in the open, even in his main base, thats on his head.

With the rigged chopper -- this was not an idle chopper that spawned on the ground and allowed me to boobytrap it. It was an active transport going back and forth buzzing across the map. I went in with an engi, under silence (no weapons fire, no kills) and waited for him to land so i could sprint over, put c4 on his tail, and leave. I'd say thats akin to kills where there are active attack choppers that end up chasing other choppers back to base. The kill is legitimate because the active asset went back to the main base/ucb. It didn't spawn and get killed rigged as a fresh asset.

Anywho, thoughts --- please clarify that COs are valid targets, I'll give up on the chopper as long as i know that next time im cutting santas shoe laces with my knife, i can also get his throat.
    |TG|Switch

Better known as:
    That noob who crashed the chopper.
    That noob who ran over the mine.
    That noob who TK'd me with a sniper rifle.
    That noob who hit that APC at 300m with light AT! Our APC...

Re: Assassinating CO's and Active Assets

I think that's a valid point, although it's up to the administration team to interpret this rule. My opinion: slit his throat.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. ~
    I have a tendency to key out three or four things and then let them battle for supremacy while I key, so there's a lot of backspacing as potential statements are slaughtered and eaten by the victors. ~
    Feel free to quote me. ~

Comment

Gentlemen, rule number 2 is very clear:

2) Players are not allowed into the enemy UCB for any reason other than for the sole purpose of destroying the enemy's assets (artillery/uav/radar).

Restricted acts include:
      - Entering the UCB with the intent on killing a disoriented spawning player.
      - Entering the UCB with the intent of stealing any vehicle.
      - Flying over the UCB for air raids / bombing runs.
      - Entering the UCB with the intent to lay mines / c4.

Addendum: In the project reality mod, a main (base) flag shall be considered a UCB unless the AAS Headquarters (HQ) message states to capture it.
      That chopper and CO are not classified as assets. Destroy the artillery and leave the base. Period.

Destroying the Rally Point there was also a rule violation.

I hope you all understand and respect the server rules, not for us, but for all who join the server to have a good time.

Comment

Sounds fine to me. Hell, I've been assassinated as CO on Hamyong while hiding under a bunk in the bottom of the barracks.
        |TG-6th|Belhade
        "I am actually looking forward to watching Jon and Kate plus 8." - Dirtboy

Comment

However, when it comes to aircraft those rules have never applied. The UCB has never been a safe zone for active aircraft. For example, aircraft returning to repair in the UCB are still a valid target for elimination. It's a different story if it is an empty vehicle, off limits of course. But I do not see how active helos taking enemy forces back and forth get a free pass.
          -33rd- BaneII
          Smokers & Jokers

Comment

Originally posted by John CANavar View Post
            Gentlemen, rule number 2 is very clear:

That chopper and CO are not classified as assets. Destroy the artillery and leave the base. Period.

Destroying the Rally Point there was also a rule violation.

I hope you all understand and respect the server rules, not for us, but for all who join the server to have a good time.

I'm afraid you're unfamiliar with the map. The arty and rally I destroyed are not in the main base, those are at trenches. Theres no problem taking them out.

Also, the action of killing a commander is not listed on things not to do. He IS an asset. On many previous occasions I had the OK to take him out, but last time things were skewed, so I opened this thread to clarify.

I didn't do any of the banned things you listed for rule #2.
            |TG|Switch

Better known as:

Comment

Hmmm... Artillery is at Trenches and Trenches is not the main base... Nice, as if we admins are in short of problems to solve, another variable in map design to help us.

Lets see.

1) Lets say artillery is at the main base. Tell me which part of the rule I quoted says "CO is an asset, slit the throat of the bast...".

Why you are making up a rule Switch? There is no such description making CO an asset. Should he be? Maybe yes, maybe no. That is open to discussion. But as far as written rules are concerned, CO is NOT an asset while he is at the main base.

This means you can be warned/kicked/banned if you kill a CO at main base.

2) Since there are no rules on "assaulting a flag that is not capturable yet (except main base)", you can kill the CO and his cat at the Trenches. That chopper can also be destroyed.

Thanks for correcting me on Trench/Main base issue.

And thanks for bringing it to discussion (both in game and on forums) and following an admin's direction in-game, controlling your kill instincts. An ordinary player in your position, would knife the CO, detonate the C4 and then defend his actions. Nice control and integrity there !

Comment

Originally posted by BaneII View Post
                However, when it comes to aircraft those rules have never applied. The UCB has never been a safe zone for active aircraft. For example, aircraft returning to repair in the UCB are still a valid target for elimination. It's a different story if it is an empty vehicle, off limits of course. But I do not see how active helos taking enemy forces back and forth get a free pass.
                If I'm on the deck reparing my BH and a attack chopper comes along, TVs me, and runs away, I'd be hard pressed not to call that baseraping.

Comment

Not to play mom vs dad, but don't any of the other admins have an opinion on taking out the CO. I know previous posts have OK'd it during discussions on hitting main base / UCB.

I still hold CO is a valid target, but I wasn't 'making up rules'. I sense hostility. I brought this up properly and its a debatable issue. I didn't post because because I thought admins were 'short of problems to solve'.

/hands John_C valium.

Lets do a poll for our PR people and see what they think!
                  |TG|Switch

Better known as:

Comment

You shouldnt sense hostility because I thanked you twice and accepted my mistake. We must be hugging by now ;)

You have a valid point. There is not a clear definition of CO in written rules. Is he an asset or not? I will take it to admin team and it will be clearly stated in the rules.

Comment

/pops valium

drug hugs are best hugs.
                      |TG|Switch

Better known as:

Comment

Originally posted by Switch View Post
                        /pops valium

drug hugs are best hugs.
                        Be advised, anti-anxiety drugs have serious side effects.

Comment

Originally posted by mingmong View Post
                          If I'm on the deck reparing my BH and a attack chopper comes along, TVs me, and runs away, I'd be hard pressed not to call that baseraping.
                          If you have put the aircraft into play and have been damaged and need to return to repair, going into the UCB does not put you out of play magically so you can repair/rearm to return to battle. Just because an aircraft returns to it's UCB does not mean the enemy must disengage attacking it. The UCB was never meant for a place to hide in but launch attacks out of with no consequences. I do not see how you returning from the field of battle to repair/rearm and being killed is baseraping. You have been active and you certainly aren't disoriented.
                          -33rd- BaneII
                          Smokers & Jokers

Comment

I assume by active you mean it has left the main base then returned, rather than a blackhawk filled up with troops, just starting to take off.
                            "It's nothing to do with Stalker, really"

Comment

Good discussion, but...

In vanilla BF2, most servers ran the spec ops rule of C4 on assets.

As far as I see it, for Both Bf2 and PR, players if given the oppertunity should of course destroy assets, and only kill those who fire at them...I know that sounds stupid, but is that allowed? Or would that be considered base rape? I mean, yeah, ideally, you want to just get in, C4 and get out...but if somebody notices, and starts lighting you up, is that allowed? What if you get caught in a large firefight...Its a grey area between self denfense and baserape in that position.
                              Skud

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X