This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Infantry Sniping with heavy AT

Valid tactic or irritating misuse of assets? I believe the latter, but would be interested on a more official viewpoint.. and anyone elses input.
    "It's nothing to do with Stalker, really"

Re: Infantry Sniping with heavy AT

I went 42 and 1 with it on Mao Valley. Id say it works just fine.
    doYouEvenLuftwaffe

Comment

I wasn't refering to it being effective at killing infantry, rather being a misuse of rescources for easy kills, denying the team the anti tank capabilities.

Comment

That's like telling a soldier not to use grenades to misdirect the attention of the enemy because they weren't "intended for that purpose." I say: Use what you have in the best way it will promote the advance of your squad. If your SL doesn't need your AT kit for a specific purpose at the time you are involved in infantry combat, then snipe away.
        I heart TG.
        xoxo

~Sugar~

"Tactics at TG come from trust and friendship, not meticulous detail and rigid discipline." ~I saw this in Zephy'rs sig and I love it.

Comment

No, it's not really like that at all, case in point earlier on tonight our team was constantly pinned down by tanks and no one could pull the heavy AT kit to take them out. It's a specialized kit, not something that's easy to come by (like, say, a grenade). I'm not talking about opportunity fire, I'm talking about taking it with the sole intention of killing infantry.

Comment

Originally posted by ChernobylKinsman View Post
            No, it's not really like that at all, case in point earlier on tonight our team was constantly pinned down by tanks and no one could pull the heavy AT kit to take them out. It's a specialized kit, not something that's easy to come by (like, say, a grenade). I'm not talking about opportunity fire, I'm talking about taking it with the sole intention of killing infantry.
            In that situation, then yes, infantry sniping would be a gross misuse of one of the few weapons that will down a tank.

Mao Valley, though, is fine since you wouldn't be using it on anything else except the littlebirds.
            |TG-6th|Belhade
            "I am actually looking forward to watching Jon and Kate plus 8." - Dirtboy

Comment

The TG Primer dictates that we are to use real-life tactics whenever possible, and to not exploit inconsistencies within the game engine. That means the kit is to be used for its primary purpose. Of course, accidental and one-off events happen, but they should be rare.

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

Thanks for the clarification Tempus.

Comment

The normal AT kit is ok to use for sniping but not the heavy AT IMO. But talking about the AT kits, I would like to see them worked on so they were not so accurate at such long distances so people would stop sniping with them. To many people grab these kits with the intentions of just sniping, grab a gun or even a grenedier kit people. If you wanna blow up vehicles then grab the AT or combat engineer kits.

Comment

Yeah, I don't mind the light AT kit being used for clearing buildings and foxholes and whatnot, legitimate real life tactic, it does strikes me as a waste for a single guy out in the open when you have a perfectly good rifle however.

Comment

Originally posted by msdz View Post
                      The normal AT kit is ok to use for sniping but not the heavy AT IMO
                      Msdz, that's completely contrary to :

Originally posted by Tempus View Post
                      The TG Primer dictates that we are to use real-life tactics ..... That means the kit is to be used for its primary purpose..
                      BFCL TF2 league admin

Comment

I used the Heavy AT like that today on Steel Thunder but I wasn't specifically sniping infantry, its just that my position was compromised and I had to do something about it. Something tells me my pistol doesn't handle ranges of 200 meters plus/minus 10

Comment

Lol, Root, exactly.

<sigh>

Here we go again. This was such a hot topic back in vanilla. Someone dig up the threads we've had this discussion on. To make my feelings clear, I'm completely against using an AT weapon for any purpose other than taking out armor and light vehicles. This is it's purpose in the game. It is not an anti infantry weapon. Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the kit also come with the light machine gun? Use that for taking out infantry. It just takes no skill to blast someone in the face with a rocket from afar.

This is Project Reality after all. I wish the devs could figure out a way to stop this from happening in a future release. Like if you score an infantry kill with the weapon you're barred from using that weapon the rest of the round.

Comment

Originally posted by Tempus View Post
                            The TG Primer dictates that we are to use real-life tactics whenever possible, and to not exploit inconsistencies within the game engine. That means the kit is to be used for its primary purpose. Of course, accidental and one-off events happen, but they should be rare.
                            I definitely dislike the practice of using h-at against infantry, but I've started using it without remorse on infantry for two reasons.

First is that it is currently the most effective infantry killer in the game, with the ability to take out a squad in one shot due to the huge splash damage. It is a terrible weapon to face off against with standard infantry tools.

Second reason is that I've been told (hence the quote) in by people in game that this weapon is used against infantry regularly in real-life. I refrain from using it in choppers because it would be impossible in real-life. Can someone tell us all in what conditions this weapon (whatever it is supposed to model) is used against infantry, and whether it an often used tactic?

Id be happy to see it's effectiveness on infantry reduced, but it is such a powerful weapon that not using it against infantry is a huge disadvantage. I hope 0.6 will do something about this.

Comment

Originally posted by BigGaayAl View Post
                              First is that it is currently the most effective infantry killer in the game, with the ability to take out a squad in one shot due to the huge splash damage.
                              This is exactly why it shouldn't be used on infantry. You're exploiting the weapon to gain an advantage. I'd be less discouraged to die from a grenade, thrown or launched, since there's at least some skill involved with it. You need to be accurate with those. But with an AT shot, it's just point, click, dead.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X