Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• About 0.6....

Hey guys,

I was just wondering about version 0.6 of PR, and when it will be released?

However, the main thing i want to know is, why oh why are they getting rid of Steel thunder?I find it now one of my favourite maps,since the AAS messages are working, it is great. Has all the assets of a modern war, and lots of tanks for an engineer to go to town on!:)Any one else agree that it should stay?

All opinions welcome!

Re: About 0.6....

Seriously! Steel thunder is great fun with mine ops sqd. It's fun in the air if you've got a good pilot/gunner combo. Its fun in armor when rolling with armor sqd, and its fun as infy sneaking around tanks by crawling in brush.

Its a good map all round with correct AAS messages.

/angry face at devs who decided to remove it
    /valium face immediately afterwards to calm down
    |TG|Switch

Better known as:
    That noob who crashed the chopper.
    That noob who ran over the mine.
    That noob who TK'd me with a sniper rifle.
    That noob who hit that APC at 300m with light AT! Our APC...

Comment

I think the grass needs replacing with some that doesn't vanish at 100 or so meters, other than that I like it.
      "It's nothing to do with Stalker, really"

Comment

True. The whole concealment != cover thing is a problem. But that is more BF2 related than PR or any other mod. Can they even do anything about that? I should think that's one of those hard-coded areas that only Dice could fix. Could be wrong. Hope to be wrong.
        sigpic

Comment

Grass is a big problem, as well as some performance issues, as well as the fact that everything is crammed in such a small area, while the map is rather large.

I love the terrain of this map, hope we can get another map with a big forest like this one, hopefully a 4km one :)

Comment

What the problem is with the grass is that not everybody has the same video cards. So some may have lower graphic settings which only draw the grass at a certain distance. Would be nice if video game companies or video card manufacturers could make everybody be able to play and see the exact same thing so no disadvantages for no one. If all the landscape in all the maps scould be seen by everybody the same way there would be less of a chance to be spotted when laying in the grass in hopes of concealment. The day that would be able to happen is when the cards and games would cost an arm and a leg, might even have to sell the dog to afford that technology.

Comment

I have a 7800 GTX and the grass cuts out around 100+- meters at max settings, it depends on what is used for the grass as far as I know (there seem to be some maps with grass that doesn't vanish at range), you don't notice the draw distance on the grass unless you are in a slightly elevated position.
              "It's nothing to do with Stalker, really"

Comment

Originally posted by msdz View Post
                What the problem is with the grass is that not everybody has the same video cards. So some may have lower graphic settings which only draw the grass at a certain distance. Would be nice if video game companies or video card manufacturers could make everybody be able to play and see the exact same thing so no disadvantages for no one. If all the landscape in all the maps scould be seen by everybody the same way there would be less of a chance to be spotted when laying in the grass in hopes of concealment. The day that would be able to happen is when the cards and games would cost an arm and a leg, might even have to sell the dog to afford that technology.
                Source Engine/Dod Source.

Tis a shame, but thats kinda the downside to PC gaming.
                Skud

Comment

This is one of my favorite maps of any mod. Some of my favorite ever BF2 moments were in our AT ambush squads in the Tactical Mod, dropping multiple tanks with coordinated AT assaults. 6 guys taking out 10 tanks realistic? Not really. Fun? Oh hellz yeah. ;)
                  Beatnik

Comment

I admit to being biased to any map with lots of helis but I cant see why this would be removed permanently.
                    All sections of the army seem to be able to leverage an advantage on this map with some effort applied.

It does seem a demanding map but Ive no major problem with it lagging on me

If you find yourself in a fair fight, then you have obviously failed to plan properly.

Comment

2GB of RAM = smooth Al Basrah. Except no substitutes.

No, really, don't play it with any less unless you are a fan of spastic slideshows.

TY that is all.

Comment

Originally posted by [sbf]Joeboo View Post
                        2GB of RAM = smooth Al Basrah. Except no substitutes.
                        You realise you just said that you're lacking substitutes? I think you meant "accept" rather than "except". Or maybe you mean "subtitles". :)

I have 512MB RAM and I don't have any problems with lag (obviously not on full detail). Steel thunder has started to grow on me and it's certainly better than some of the maps that are being kept for 0.6 (Helmand and Hills spring to mind). It looks like Basrah is no longer going to be a US map so there's one less reason to play the mod. There's no new extraction maps judging by the PR site and there seems to be a lack of black hawks and littlebirds.

Is it time for custom content on the private server? ;)
                        BFCL TF2 league admin

Comment

THANK GOD THEY ARE REMOVING THAT HORRIBLE MAP!!!!!

That map is absolute garbage, I can't believe you guys like that horrific map! The premise of the vehicle loadout on that map leads one to believe it is a clash between Armored Cav. regiment's, but the terrain is absolutely the worst for those type's of operation's and a cav regiment would be your absolute last choice to send to that area.

What is typically the determining factor on this map? Which team uses the least armor and uses the most infantry. This map would have greatly improved if all the grass was just removed, and about half the tree's as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Morganan View Post
                            THANK GOD THEY ARE REMOVING THAT HORRIBLE MAP!!!!!

That map is absolute garbage, I can't believe you guys like that horrific map! The premise of the vehicle loadout on that map leads one to believe it is a clash between Armored Cav. regiment's, but the terrain is absolutely the worst for those type's of operation's and a cav regiment would be your absolute last choice to send to that area.

What is typically the determining factor on this map? Which team uses the least armor and uses the most infantry. This map would have greatly improved if all the grass was just removed, and about half the tree's as well.
                            They're not removing it. It looks like they're going for realism by having the UK instead of the US. I wish they'd just call the existing one bagdad and leave it in (minus the A10s).
                            BFCL TF2 league admin

Comment

Morganan is refering to Steel Thunder I believe. The trees are vital to the map or the tanks would sitting ducks and not half as usefull. The fact that all three levels of attack are balanced makes it weird that they would remove it.

Someone tell them to replace the blackhawk on al basra with one of those merlin helis if they are going british with it. Thats a class model and deserves more use then just one map.

If you find yourself in a fair fight, then you have obviously failed to plan properly.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X