Proning...Friend or Foe.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proning...Friend or Foe.

I am sure that this has been discussed before, but I want to bring it up again. As many of you know, "Dolphin diving" was around ever since BF2 first came out, but now its different with PRM. With three shots anywhere will kill you and the use of ANY automatic weapon how can you not get an easy insta-prone kill.

I am not gonna lie here, I have done it... on more than one instance might I add. I dont consider cheating and is more realistic than Bunnyhopping. here are my reason why I do it.

1. It makes less of a target.
    2. It steadys the weapon at long ranges.
    3. It makes it more possible to get several more kills.

But I am sure that many of you feel that it is "cheating". But why is it...is it not realistic? You wouldnt go prone if any OpFor was shooting at you? You wouldnt want to make a small target?

The reason that I bring this up is that I know some of you have several different opinions on this matter. I want to hear them.

Thanks, Dirt
    "Dirtboy is super awesome, and chicks dig him too!"- Everyone

Re: Proning...Friend or Foe.

You wouldn't do it if you rounded a corner and came face to face with an enemy in RL, this is when it is most often used in game and in that context isn't really particularly realistic, less so when you do it after being hit in the chest 3 or 4 times and land with his head in your sights and bullet in his face.
    "It's nothing to do with Stalker, really"

Comment

I still occassionally prone but I am trying to move away from it. I do it not to gain unfair advantage it just seemed natural to do when no cover was available and I wanted to present as small a target as possible.

What I am trying to do now is two-fold:

1) Try not to put myself in a position where I might be surprised when encountering an enemy by not zipping around corners blindly if it might be hostile territory or making bee-lines across long stretches of open terrain.

2) If I do encounter an enemy and I am not already in a position of advantage/cover I try not to engage except to suppress until I have cover or a position of advantage.

I have found that if given the two choices of insta-proning and engaging or trying to find cover and engaging I usually fare better in the latter.
      LoyalGuard

Comment

I usually crouch when I come head to head with an enemy. And after that I might go prone or run off. But what really grinds my gears are the ones who go instant prone when rounding a corner. On a long distance I can accept it, 'cause they wouldn't kill me instantly. Crouch FTW!

/Crawl
        ​​​​​​​

Comment

Do I keep in mind that when going prone and facing the enemy, your head is most likely the first part of the body to get hit.

BF2 Name: Thez(NL)
          BF2142 Names:
          Thierry(NL) (Sniper)
          Dikkiedik(NL) (Assault)
          Kittekat(NL) (Engineer)
          Dimi(NL) (Support)

Comment

Someone needs to define dolphin-diving. I thought it was the act of repeatedly proning-running-proning to avoid getting hit, as in bunnyhopping.

I'm a croucher myself, going prone doesn't work well for me so I don't know what's so great about it. I do know I get shot a lot by people "insta-proning" and getting one-shot head kills, which is annoying - but isn't going prone before firing the method taught in the military?

How do you differ between the two?
            7Shades

How sweet, thought lifeless, yet with life to lie,
            And, without dying, O how sweet to die!
            - from Thomas Warton's "Ode to Sleep"

Comment

Dolphin Diving was jumping and then proning in the air.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=_kOPyRD4YAg

Lucky Shot

Comment

IMO, instaproning around corners falls into the same metagaming category as dolphin diving.

Comment

I never feel the need to do this. I just shoot while running either left or right, and move to cover. If I still haven't killed him, I repeat that.

What I hate though is if someone is laying prone around a corner. It pisses me off even though it is allowed.

Comment

Originally posted by ChernobylKinsman View Post
                    You wouldn't do it if you rounded a corner and came face to face with an enemy in RL, this is when it is most often used in game and in that context isn't really particularly realistic, less so when you do it after being hit in the chest 3 or 4 times and land with his head in your sights and bullet in his face.
                    Excellent post...and I couldnt agree more.
                    IRL, if I came across an enemy around the corner...I would use hand-to-hand combat. But since BF2 doesnt have that luxury...I got to use what they gave me...prone. It creates a small target and gets you in a better position.

Originally posted by loyalguard View Post
                    I still occassionally prone but I am trying to move away from it. I do it not to gain unfair advantage it just seemed natural to do when no cover was available and I wanted to present as small a target as possible.
                    My thoughts exactly:)

Originally posted by Lucky Shot View Post
                    Dolphin Diving was jumping and then proning in the air.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=_kOPyRD4YAg

Lucky Shot
                    Did not know this...thanks for sharing:)
                    "Dirtboy is super awesome, and chicks dig him too!"- Everyone

Comment

It's just that the game models this tactic poorly. Play Armed Assault, even the Ai goes prone as soon as it encounters an enemy. Granted not at the ultra close encounters, but it A. Provides stability when firing your weapon and B. presents the smallest target. I don't have a problem with people dropping, I do if they jump and go prone aka Dolphin Diving.
                      |TG-12th| tHa_KhAn

XBL GT: Khan58

Comment

The only difference i can see with ArmA though is that it takes about 10 minutes to go prone!:)

Seriously though, their is no insta-prone, which i think would be a good feature to implement...

Comment

Insta prone is a poor tactic, very poor...........in real life if you ran around a corner and hit your belly, it would take one to two seconds to recover, the person crouching would have already had time to fill you with more then enough led to get the job done ArmA and Americas Army model this well, BF2 is horrible at it.

Comment

Excellent post...and I couldnt agree more.
                            IRL, if I came across an enemy around the corner...I would use hand-to-hand combat. But since BF2 doesnt have that luxury...I got to use what they gave me...prone. It creates a small target and gets you in a better position.

I doubt that dirtboy, if you where in a war and turned a corner with an enemy to his back to you im sure he would have a three round burst. not a knife in his neck, hand to hand combat is alot more dangerous then using a rifle. and if it's a situation your life or his, with adrenaline going and all, it just isnt going to happen.

Comment

In this vestige of the game, proning is a tool used when you're crawling up birms or laying on rooftops for me. If you're in tall grass, proning does you no good as the tall grass "disappears" for anyone over about 10m away unless theyre running all their GFX settings on high, making you instantly visible no matter what your position is. I find crouching does just as good of a job, sometimes better as people almost expect you to go prone, so they either aim for the face or the feet, rarely the middle.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X