Arty vs. armor

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arty vs. armor

This was brought up in commander chat last night on EJOD, when everyone ignored and rejected my CO orders and suggestions. What effect, if any, do artillery strikes have on tanks? I was under the impression that even a direct shell hit would do negligible damage to a tank, but one of the SLs insisted that they were effective. I've personally never seen an arty strike disable, much less destroy, a tank.
    |TG-6th|Belhade
    "I am actually looking forward to watching Jon and Kate plus 8." - Dirtboy

Re: Arty vs. armor

i dont know what to tell ya, Belhade, lets try it out some time ;)
    sigpic

Comment

Unless its a direct hit, arty does nothing of value to a tank. APCs are far more vulnerable, but it still needs to be hit in order to be destroyed.

Soft targets (humvees/transports) are much more vulnerable as the splash damage of arty will effect them.
      |TG|Switch

Better known as:
      That noob who crashed the chopper.
      That noob who ran over the mine.
      That noob who TK'd me with a sniper rifle.
      That noob who hit that APC at 300m with light AT! Our APC...

Comment

Well if you were on the US side last night, that was our arty killing ya. Belhade, I think you are correct in assuming that the strike must be a direct hit.
        "Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results." Gen. George Patton

Comment

Originally posted by ikill4aliving View Post
          i dont know what to tell ya, Belhade, lets try it out some time ;)
          Definately. We should request use of the private server some time, get a handful of people on it, some observers and a CO, test this out.

Switch, I figured this was the case, which is why I was baffled when told otherwise. An arty strike on a lone tank hiding behind a rock is pointless, unless at that moment someone decides to dismount and repair.
          |TG-6th|Belhade
          "I am actually looking forward to watching Jon and Kate plus 8." - Dirtboy

Comment

Direct hit will destroy even a full health tank I think

If you find yourself in a fair fight, then you have obviously failed to plan properly.

Comment

Yep I have been in a freshly repaired tank and got creamed by Arty.

One direct hit will toast you.
              doYouEvenLuftwaffe

Comment

If it doesnt kill ya it'll sure rattle ur sphincter..............

Comment

Does anyone know or could roughly guess at the odds involved in whether an arty strike will result in a direct hit?

EDIT - If the arty marker was smack on the tank, I mean.

Comment

vanilla bf2 artillery will play a very small role in upcoming versions of PR, as its not possible to edit to make it anymore realistic.

Comment

20% Ming

Shame about the arty, it is massively powerfull when used which it isnt usually

If you find yourself in a fair fight, then you have obviously failed to plan properly.

Comment

Originally posted by fuzzhead View Post
                        vanilla bf2 artillery will play a very small role in upcoming versions of PR, as its not possible to edit to make it anymore realistic.
                        Why not remove the silly static artillery and give artillery vehicles? Indirect fire is as realistic a part of the battlefield as men carrying guns are.

Comment

I think the objections are to its power and accuracy

Comment

Wouldn't an artillery vehicle using the "old" spotting mechanic's deal with the problem on both counts?

Arty should be strong, but it shouldn't be as strong as it is considering how "dumb" of a weapon it is. I don't think anyone would mind an artillery vehicle that either was used for direct fire and thus could be easily taken out, or indirect fire via spotting that required actuall "skill" to use correctly.

Comment

I just wish the arty blast produced the blur effect you get when standing next to a firing APC. That way arty has a role in disrupting defense even if it doesnt actually kill. The blast radius is unrealistically small as it is. Might as well shake some vision up.
                              |TG|Switch

Better known as:
                              That noob who crashed the chopper.
                              That noob who ran over the mine.
                              That noob who TK'd me with a sniper rifle.
                              That noob who hit that APC at 300m with light AT! Our APC...

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X