MOS: Scout Snipers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MOS: Scout Snipers

Project Reality presents an interesting concept for something that might require taking a look. Officers are visibly different from other players in Project Reality, especially to snipers. So here is the thing that I think needs to be addressed. Tactically the sniper's role is to provide recon for advanced elements of the military, taking out targets of opportunity (officers), and spotting for artillery.

While I agree we can't be dropping artillery on the enemy main-base, I think an amendment needs to be made for the elimination of officers (Squad leaders and commanders) within the main bases. Snipers can quite literally reach out and touch someone in Project Reality and I think we have been putting a major hamper on what a skilled sniper is allowed to do. If he can make it all the way to the enemy base, get into a proper position and eliminate their commander or a few squad leaders, then congrats to him.

While I do not believe he should be allowed to ENTER the base, I personally think that he should be the only class allowed to fire into the UCB. While I don't condone the elimination of the enemy regular soldiers, I think that Officers should be fair game. It would also reduce lingering in the main-base by people waiting for a vehicle that will be there in 10 minutes.

Now many of you will say "But I don't want to get shot while I am in my main-base commanding my troops", my response is Hide Better. If you're commanding from out in the open it is your own bloody fault. I know that currently this strategy is not allowed but I think considering the nature of PR and that we are trying to play in near simulation environment we should at least consider this. This would also encourage the use of patrols to search for enemies in the trees, especially on jungle maps.

Right now we have reduced our snipers to mere anti-infantry go-to boys. They simply pick off random soldiers and they don't fill any specific team oriented niche often-times. But if we encourage tactical use of the kit, things such as target stalking, coordinating shots with artillery fire to avoid the enemy figuring out where they are, things such as that, we could see an amazing use of the sniper class. Maps such as Mao Valley would be an amazing experience for the snipers, as well as the infantry assigned specifically to HUNT them because of the threat they pose. Either that or it will be extremely frustrating for the infantry trying to locate and kill an experienced scout sniper.

Hopefully this has been insightful and won't be flamed too badly. This is only my opinion on the matter and I'd be happy to hear all of your opinions, but try to keep it all in a friendly spirit.

Re: MOS: Scout Snipers

The problem with allowing snipers to fire into the UCB is that players often spawn there. Spawn camping is explicitly prohibited because of the unfair and unrealistic advantage the camper holds, and allowing snipers to fire into the UCB would be tantamount to allowing them to spawn camp. I'm sure you could design a rule to prevent it, but it would be impossible to enforce.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. ~
    I have a tendency to key out three or four things and then let them battle for supremacy while I key, so there's a lot of backspacing as potential statements are slaughtered and eaten by the victors. ~
    Feel free to quote me. ~

Comment

Yeah, I can't imagine the usefulness for a sniper near an enemy UCB to shoot officers who won't spawn there often anyhow. They'd be far more usefull high in the hills camping out flags that are up for capping. Killing officers on the front line or even on the defensive flags would be far more useful than sniping at officers waiting for 10 minutes to get in a vehicle anyhow.
      | | |

Comment

I am speaking more of eliminating the commander, and not allowing them to fire on those who are not officers, they're not a valid target until the pick up that kit essentially

Comment

Yeah, I think it was determined in a previous thread that there's really no way to certainly ID a CO by their skin. And that's really why they're not considered a "Team Asset" or "Target of Opportunity." Being that the CO can assume any kit at any given time. I hope in future releases of PR that they give CO's a unique skin that makes them easily ID'd. Because I agree, CO's should be considered a target of opportunity, but at this time to allow it would be essentially opening up the door for relentless UCB camping.
          | | |

Comment

Originally posted by RazersEdge View Post
            Project Reality presents an interesting concept for something that might require taking a look. Officers are visibly different from other players in Project Reality, especially to snipers. So here is the thing that I think needs to be addressed. Tactically the sniper's role is to provide recon for advanced elements of the military, taking out targets of opportunity (officers), and spotting for artillery.

While I agree we can't be dropping artillery on the enemy main-base, I think an amendment needs to be made for the elimination of officers (Squad leaders and commanders) within the main bases. Snipers can quite literally reach out and touch someone in Project Reality and I think we have been putting a major hamper on what a skilled sniper is allowed to do. If he can make it all the way to the enemy base, get into a proper position and eliminate their commander or a few squad leaders, then congrats to him.

While I do not believe he should be allowed to ENTER the base, I personally think that he should be the only class allowed to fire into the UCB. While I don't condone the elimination of the enemy regular soldiers, I think that Officers should be fair game. It would also reduce lingering in the main-base by people waiting for a vehicle that will be there in 10 minutes.

Now many of you will say "But I don't want to get shot while I am in my main-base commanding my troops", my response is Hide Better. If you're commanding from out in the open it is your own bloody fault. I know that currently this strategy is not allowed but I think considering the nature of PR and that we are trying to play in near simulation environment we should at least consider this. This would also encourage the use of patrols to search for enemies in the trees, especially on jungle maps.

Right now we have reduced our snipers to mere anti-infantry go-to boys. They simply pick off random soldiers and they don't fill any specific team oriented niche often-times. But if we encourage tactical use of the kit, things such as target stalking, coordinating shots with artillery fire to avoid the enemy figuring out where they are, things such as that, we could see an amazing use of the sniper class. Maps such as Mao Valley would be an amazing experience for the snipers, as well as the infantry assigned specifically to HUNT them because of the threat they pose. Either that or it will be extremely frustrating for the infantry trying to locate and kill an experienced scout sniper.

Hopefully this has been insightful and won't be flamed too badly. This is only my opinion on the matter and I'd be happy to hear all of your opinions, but try to keep it all in a friendly spirit.
            This spawn camping.........
            Gerardnm

Comment

Did you actually bother to read it? I know that it is currently considered spawn camping and I was specifically saying that because we can tell when somebody is using an officer kit that it should be considered making the commander a target of opportunity for snipers... Next time please take the time, think before you speak Gerardnm. In the future it may be much easier to tell the difference (hopefully they bring about a different skin for the officers). Next time read the post, think and then read the replies.

Have a nice day

Comment

Did you actually bother to read it? I know that it is currently considered spawn camping and I was specifically saying that because we can tell when somebody is using an officer kit that it should be considered making the commander a target of opportunity for snipers... Next time please take the time, think before you speak Gerardnm. In the future it may be much easier to tell the difference (hopefully they bring about a different skin for the officers). Next time read the post, think and then read the replies.

Have a nice day
                Razor i did read it, shooting into a UCB is spawn camping. Attacking the enemy commander in the UCB is spawn camping.

If you take a game situation you ll get snipers shooting and saying oops thought it was commander or SL.

In any event you can wait until they leave the UCB to take them out.

Sorry dude but spawn camping is spawn camping no matter what and ruins gameplay. If you re that good a sniper the you can setup and wait for targets to appear a choke points.

Snipers are already very powerful and don't need an exception to any rule.
                Gerardnm

Comment

It doesnt matter really, when .6 comes live CO's wont be hiding in their base, and with the changes to the game I see them as priority targets. Also since people will be spawning at firebases and bunkers, when their RP is down, pretty much all instances of "spawn camping" will be legit and nobody will have any reason to get near an enemy UCB.

Comment

Gerard, I specifically mentioned that I KNOW that shooting in no matter what kit you have is currently considered spawn camping. However the POINT I was making was more geared towards password nights where the players know better than to screw around. Also I am saying the commander should more be considered a team asset like artillery or UAV.

Also, never said I was a good sniper. I myself fly planes, command and lead squads. Personally I don't snipe often, if at all. I am speaking more for the sake of realism. Which is something you refuse to understand. And secondly... Spell my name right or don't use it at all...

Comment

Razer,

I appreciate your well-thought-out post, and can understand the motivations behind it. But commanders are specifically considered off-limits in UCBs -- not just because of the camping issue, but also because we want to emphasize teamwork. COs who have to worry about fighting/defending themselves while in a UCB will ultimately spend less time leading his team, which is what we really want COs to be doing.

Better leadership = better teamwork = better game.

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

I see your point on that Tempus. I was thinking of the attempt to destabilize the enemy team and disrupt a coordinated counter-attack by the enemy team. And as someone who plays command I do agree that leadership and teamwork are definitely the hallmark of a good round in PR

Comment

I was thinking of the attempt to destabilize the enemy team and disrupt a coordinated counter-attack by the enemy team. And as someone who plays command I do agree that leadership and teamwork are definitely the hallmark of a good round in PR
                          I get the feeling that this might be viable if everyone in the game was known to follow all of the rules and represent TG correctly. Maybe in some future scrimmage, a slight adjustment could be made. Either that, or we could try this rule out on the private server some time if we can organize a match.
                          The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. ~
                          I have a tendency to key out three or four things and then let them battle for supremacy while I key, so there's a lot of backspacing as potential statements are slaughtered and eaten by the victors. ~
                          Feel free to quote me. ~

Comment

Any squad leader that I've served under can attest to my skill with the rifle. Priority targets are medics and squad leaders. Then anti-tanks, snipers, and support gunners.

"Live for something rather than die for nothing!" ~Patton

Comment

The way to win usually is to prevent the further most troops from achieving anything, kill them and send them back to where they came from. Hopefully they'll have to walk and basically waste their time being fairly useless instead of capping a flag or threatening your own team.

Attacking the ucb even if its an important person or vehicle isnt half as important imo.

1 sniper can in theory hold down or severly threaten an entire flag, that'd be amazingly usefull.
                              You'd free up an entire squad to go capture the next flag instead of the usual ping pong situation that goes on.
                              Anything that really tips the balance of power like that is what you should try and concentrate on. It makes for a better game too

Do something like that on river kwai and the ucb is a valid target not long after, its pretty devastating. Usually it happens to the usa team, they are more mobile but also more constricted, break their legs and they fold easy :p
                              I read that map is changed for 0.6 though..:row__690:

If you find yourself in a fair fight, then you have obviously failed to plan properly.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X