Internal Scrim #1 Feedback

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Internal Scrim #1 Feedback

We've just had our first PR internal scrim and I wanted to get some feedback from the community. I'm looking for feedback on how to make these scrims better. I do not want feedback on the strategies, etc.

I'll help start this off...

1) We need to get the team forums and passwords out sooner. The simply wasn't enough time for teams to get organized and plan.

2) Setup a team leader with previous scrim experience to help organize the teams in their forums. This isn't about strategy, it's about getting the new players organized for a scrim.

---

I also want to add that I was surprised at the turn-out for this scrim. In just about every other internal scrim we've held at TG, the rosters were filled within a day, and in most cases within a few hours. Our PR server is more active than any other BF2 server we've run here at TG so I'm left wondering what is up? I'm led to believe that we're simply not getting the regulars on the server to consistently visit our forums.

I'm also disappointed with the number of no-shows. While we expect no-shows to happen, the number for this scrim was staggering. It is usually easy to pass off the few no-shows from past scrims because we've always had a reserve list ready and able. The lack of full rosters and the larger amount of no-shows compounded the issue.
    |TG-12th| asch
    sigpic

Re: Internal Scrim #1 Feedback

This is the first massive and organized event I've participated in, and I had a lot of fun. It may not have been planned as well as it could have been, but just the structure and the added pressure to win made the experience more enjoyable.

Additional time to plan would be nice; also, a more organized fashion of distributing the strategies would be beneficial. Threads in forums are great for discussion, but they're really messy. I also heard from quite a few people that their squad leaders did not PM them the plans beforehand; w.WAREHOUSE was on top of things, which made it much easier.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. ~
    I have a tendency to key out three or four things and then let them battle for supremacy while I key, so there's a lot of backspacing as potential statements are slaughtered and eaten by the victors. ~
    Feel free to quote me. ~

Comment

Originally posted by asch View Post

I also want to add that I was surprised at the turn-out for this scrim. In just about every other internal scrim we've held at TG, the rosters were filled within a day, and in most cases within a few hours. Our PR server is more active than any other BF2 server we've run here at TG so I'm left wondering what is up? I'm led to believe that we're simply not getting the regulars on the server to consistently visit our forums.
      I actually didn't bother trying because the roster is always full so quickly.

Comment

Well before we would use ATC to plan our strategies. Is there an addon for PR for that? How we did it before is we would schedule for one night about an hour and have the CO and each SL plus any other team member that wishes to join (max is 16) and visually map out the strategies in ATC, so you can actually see who needs to be where and what assets need to be utilized.

Like asch said, there were too many no shows. Please don't sign up and not be there. If you can't make it, just say so in the forums. One member of my team who I contacted afterward said he PM'd an admin about withdrawing because he had a RL situation come up and couldn't make it. That's fine except our team never heard about it and I never heard about it because he was supposed to be in my squad. I would suggest to post it publicly on the forums if you have to withdraw.

Comment

I'd like to see roll call about an hour earlier (2 hours from game time) so in the case of adding reserves teams have an opportunity to get them up to speed on strats.
          | | |

Comment

This is the first scrim where I have not received a PM from the squad leaders. No ATC session where everyone is invited, no specific SL plans, posted in the forums. This may be due to the fact that there was not as much time as usual between the sign up and the scrim date (organizing a scrim is a lot of work), or to the fact that in previous scrims, there were more TG vets in leading roles. We might need some sort of an SOP or template for scrim organization.

DB

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Comment

I was doing about 70mph trying to get home...

I was told that I'd be free from my engagement by midafternoon.
              I didn't get home till after 7. Completely unplanned, but if i had ducked out sooner I would have left people stranded
              |TG|Switch

Better known as:
              That noob who crashed the chopper.
              That noob who ran over the mine.
              That noob who TK'd me with a sniper rifle.
              That noob who hit that APC at 300m with light AT! Our APC...

Comment

This was my first scrim. I was pretty impressed with the game play. I was a late sign up...about 4 days out of the match and I was shocked that there were slots still open. It could have been the timing of the scrim, as I know a lot of people on vacation and such. Maybe we can "poll the audience" for a couple of future dates on availability...also include the best time for everyone. I thought Lucky did the best he could with what he had to work with... ie pencil and paper..... :icon26:

I am looking forward to the next scrim!
                "Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results." Gen. George Patton

Comment

It might be the length of the scrims. A round is considered short if it only goes an hour. Maybe 1 round, 1 map, winner takes all or something to that extent. I think in a shorter time frame, you might get people who ordinarily might not play this mod to come along for a scrim.

Comment

Dammit...I wish I made it. It looked like alot of fun.

Do we have any plans for a second?
                    "Dirtboy is super awesome, and chicks dig him too!"- Everyone

Comment

IMO turning of the timer on scrim matches is a good idea, when 2 evenly matched, skilled teams face up to each other, i think it is a shame to have it decided by a timer(ghost train was still on a knife edge).

Comment

This is was my fourth internal scrim (EF, Inishail, Tac Mod 08/06, PR .5) and I had a blast, but did notice some difficulties.

I second the earlier PW, "Team Leader" designation, and SOP recommendations. I would be willing to help draft a SOP under the guidance of content development and the admins of course.

As far as the attendance problem is concerned I can't say...I'm hoping it was just an anomaly. We've seen a lot of explanations for the no-shows. Obviosuly stuff will come up last minute so those are hard to prevent. Perhaps if a team leader and SL's can get spun-up faster we can also cut-down on the not-so-last minute drop-outs or have extra people there to help find replacements.

As far as the overall lower number of sign-ups, I hope that was an anomaly as well. Without being unnecassairly specific, perhaps regulars who didn't sign up will express here why they were not interested/couln't sign up. Do we need to educate more what scrims are all about? Do we need to make scheduling adjustments, do we need to give more lead time (we did have five weeks so I'm not sure if we can/should give more)?
                        LoyalGuard

Comment

I do think we need to broadcast more what a Scrim is here at TG. We have alot of new faces that haven't seen them and might think they are SM only or something like that. In the Admin Forums, someone suggested broadcasting during PW Nights/Events that there is an upcoming scrim. I like this idea. In general, we need to talk about it more so people get pumped up and are excited to join/play before the Scrim is even announced and signups are allowed.

Something like:
                          Scrim #2 is in the works. Please keep your eyes out for a possible date in late July. Check out some of the AARs from the previous scrim to get your mouth watering, and don't forget to clean your gun.

Then in July:
                          Scrim #2 has been announced for July ##...etc etc.

I think the public needs teased before actually announcing it with a date etc.

Comment

Originally posted by loyalguard View Post
                            Without being unnecassairly specific, perhaps regulars who didn't sign up will express here why they were not interested/couln't sign up.
                            I would have loved to have taken part, but my comp time is very limited and Sunday's PW slot / BFCL games use about 100% of what I can manage without having divorce proceedings filed as it is..

6pm EDT = 11pm BST, so that's not entirely friendly for Europe, especially if you don't want to wake the whole house up using VoIP..

Comment

i knew the time changed, that probably messed people up

one thing that might be kinda harsh, but i think should be done... make sure that everyone has a mic... its very frustrating playing with people who have to stop and type. its also better communication
                              lTG-6thlMavrok

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X