Letting new people in...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Letting new people in...

Ok guys...I know that this has been discussed before but havent really seen this take affect, so I am bringing it up again:)

Almost everytime I get onto the server, I notice that there are some TG guys that tend to stick together. The most experienced and recongnised ones at that. When I get in I notice one or two squads FULL with TG guys...Is this bad?...Is this illegal?...Of course not. But, the question still stands.

Whats wrong with having some pubbies or newbies in the Squad with you?

Nothing.

Please...dont get me wrong. I enjoy having some of my closest TG friends in my Squad...but I am not about to kick someone who truly exemplifies The TG way of life...even though he doesn't wear the tag. Some of my best Squads that I led arent even in TG...just pubbies that listened well, and followed orders.

I know what some of you are thinking...

"I had bad experiences with pubbies...they are just looking for kills rather than winning the game"

While some of this is true...it is up to US to show them the way. I cant even count the times where I get these statements...

"Great Job SL, thanks for letting me be in your squad"
    "This server is WAY better than other servers...I really enjoy the communication"
    "What is the website to your forums"
    "Save me a spot on the next map"

I am not trying to talk myself up or anything...just wanted to let you all in on this. If we teach and lead them by example...I gaurentee you that we wont be having half of the problem players that get on our server.
    "Dirtboy is super awesome, and chicks dig him too!"- Everyone

Re: Letting new people in...

There was a time when the same problem occurred on the iGi servers and the only option there was long term reputation drawing and keeping the good pubbers in and the iGi clan spreading out amongst squads themselves and teaching by actions map movement, squad speed, loadout distributions, ambushes and asset destruction.

This issue goes up and down over time with good and fair gaming sometimes and then an influx of new players leading to frustration all round for a while.

Use voip, enjoy yourself in squads, use the forums here and at realitymod.com and find friends/gaming compatriots who play at the same time as you do and get involved at every level of the game and life. Over time even the pubbies band together as if they are clan labelled and become well known names in the scene.

Comment

Originally posted by [R-PUB]MrD View Post
      There was a time when the same problem occurred on the iGi servers and the only option there was long term reputation drawing and keeping the good pubbers in and the iGi clan spreading out amongst squads themselves and teaching by actions map movement, squad speed, loadout distributions, ambushes and asset destruction.

This issue goes up and down over time with good and fair gaming sometimes and then an influx of new players leading to frustration all round for a while.

Use voip, enjoy yourself in squads, use the forums here and at realitymod.com and find friends/gaming compatriots who play at the same time as you do and get involved at every level of the game and life. Over time even the pubbies band together as if they are clan labelled and become well known names in the scene.
      Couldnt say it any better.

I see this becoming a HUGE factor when the summer hits and 0.6 blows out.
      "Dirtboy is super awesome, and chicks dig him too!"- Everyone

Comment

I agree with dirtboy, but it goes further than what he said. The thing that irks me the most is when you see squads with only 4 or 5 people in them and theyre all TGers. Why not just unlock the squad and let it fill up? Even if you have people you're not familiar with and run the risk of having to deal with smacktards, you're going to be much more effective with 6 people than 4 or even 5.

Certain times call for specialized TG squads. If you're a member of an IHS and theres 6 of your squadmates on your team, you certainly have the right to play with your buddies. If you have a specific goal for gameplay, such as the 1st-MIP squads, you certainly have the right to be choosy about who you let in. But for ordinary run of the mill play, unlock the squad and let it fill up. You might just find people you like. You may bring new faces to the community who will be major contributors. Remember, there was a time when YOU werent a part of TG. Something or someone brought you into the fold. But ask yourself what your sentiment would have been if that same someone or something had locked you out of a good time.

Think about that next time you're locking a squad to make sure only TG folk get in.

Comment

I'm a regular squad leader, and I very rarely create locked squads. However, once in a while, it's nice to not have to kick someone for not following orders, or constantly tell people to stay with the squad. Frankly if there was an actual rule against TG squads then I would've given up PRM a long time ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Ferris Bueller View Post
            If you have a specific goal for gameplay, such as the 1st-MIP squads, you certainly have the right to be choosy about who you let in.
            Just a point of clarification from a member of the 1st....We generally lock our squad only when we have a full complement of 1st MIP players on board--which only happens once or twice a week. Then it's locked so we can hold a spot incase a 1st MIP player loses connection.

I'd guess that regular daily gameplay would show that 50%-75% of the time members of the 1st are either Squadleading open squads or sprinkled about in existing squads. We like newcomers to join us and generally adjust our sop's to accomodate new faces. As long as you can follow an order we're happy to have you no matter what your level.

You can look for me leading "Grunt Sqd" at least 4 or 5 times a week. Feel free to join.
            sigpic
            |TG-1st|Grunt
            ARMA Admin (retired)
            Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

This is a recurring issue and is certainly not one we have not seen before. Grouping of TG players, especially in-house squads, is a natural by-product of like-minded players. When the overall quality of play on a server begins to decline (as some believe we are witnessing on the PR server now) this tends to occur more and more.

If you find yourself wanting to join a TG squad, whether locked or full, please ask for an invite. The 1stMIP always includes a few non-squad members on regular nights - however, on password nights we do tend to stay together. On any other night, though, hail us in teamspeak or send a chat message in game - we make every attempt to include the public wherever possible. I think the same holds true for most any in-house or TG squad.

Locked squads are often locked in order to hold slots in the event that a member drops out. We typically will hold a slot for 5 minutes, and if the person fails to come back online we'll open the slot for someone else.

Comment

I can see what your saying Dirtboy. I usually look for other TG members on the server. Both to hang out with them and get to know them better but, now I'm looking at it differently. Kind of an eye opener. Great post.
                |TG|XCliPsX
                Medic, Engineer, Squad Leader, Commander

Quote from the Tactical Gamer Primer:
                Within Tactical Gamer, ANY activity that capitalizes on the limitations of a game to provide the advantage rather than that advantage coming from superior teamwork, strategy and tactics, is frowned upon. We all want to win when we play, but the focus at Tactical Gamer should be one of winning with some sort of dignity, honor, and skill, not because you were able to out-exploit the other team or box them into a corner built on technological weakness that gives you the advantage.

Comment

We were all new to PRM once and had to learn the ropes.

Running a few "The TG Way For Non-TGers" training sessions would help. I know the Irregulars training session I was lucky enough to attend helped me to get my head around a lot of the TG Basics.

Comment

I don t really mind perhaps 1-2 locked squads on a full server. I hate though when you see team switching or very unbalances teams....ruins gameplay much more than 1-2 locked squads.

In fairness MIP are the best guys out there for teamwork...i don't usually like commanding but will do it if there's a MIP squad working. best defensive guys there is.
                    Gerardnm

Comment

I have actually seen less and less of this. Actually last week a group of TG'ers noticing that the teams were drastically uneven swapped to the other side with less TG members on it. It is always better to spread the wealth, this is the only way to inject new "blood" into our family. Normally (speaking for the 6th, but not officially) we only aim to group up on thursday and sunday, the rest of the time is "open season" and anyone is able to join. Remember to spread the love around, plant a seed and watch it grow, my house is your house, come drink and be merry, and all that jazz...... where were we again???
                      "Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results." Gen. George Patton

Comment

Theres been instances of massively unbalanced sides recently. Not in numbers, but just in skill. One side will defeat the other terribly for several maps in a row and the game is decided within 10 minutes of it beginning.

Thats not to say that it quickly ends, even an empty trash can will give more resistance as it is crushed. So the team becomes stuck in a terrible base killing situation for the rest of the game, its really poor to play.
                        Then the next map its the same and so on. Not a complaint or anything, just it has happened on a few seperate nights if no one else has noticed.

I definetly take my hat off to any squad that swaps sides in these circumstances and tries to turn the tide. It'd be excellent practise

If you find yourself in a fair fight, then you have obviously failed to plan properly.

Comment

Originally posted by Sabre_Tooth_Tigger View Post
                          Theres been instances of massively unbalanced sides recently. Not in numbers, but just in skill. One side will defeat the other terribly for several maps in a row and the game is decided within 10 minutes of it beginning.

Thats not to say that it quickly ends, even an empty trash can will give more resistance as it is crushed. So the team becomes stuck in a terrible base killing situation for the rest of the game, its really poor to play.
                          Then the next map its the same and so on. Not a complaint or anything, just it has happened on a few seperate nights if no one else has noticed.
                          That happend last night for like 3 maps in a row. But i did not notice one side looking like it had all the experience players or higher numbers.

Comment

Last night everyone on my side was a stranger apart from troublesome, pretty much. I do tend to stick to names I recognise especially if they are people Ive noticed for some reason (usually good) but I just joined a random squad because no one stuck out, I wasnt playing seriously myself anyway.
                            I'll have to take a scoreboard next time.

If you find yourself in a fair fight, then you have obviously failed to plan properly.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                            X