Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Possible to keep 05 (non beta) server alive a little longer?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible to keep 05 (non beta) server alive a little longer?

I am new to the server side of things so this is probably a dumb question....but, here it goes. I love TG and PR but dont want to move to the beta immediately...is it possible to have a version 5 (or whatever it is) server kept on until the beta is no longer beta?

You know more than I do so be gentle, or I'll frag ya!

Thanks, StevieRay
    sigpic Sometimes I rip, other times I RIP.

Re: Possible to keep 05 (non beta) server alive a little longer?

Stevie, I know what you're thinking and theres probably a lot of others thinking the same thing: it's a beta, beta builds are usually unstable and very buggy, so why risk having a buggy server when we have a stable build at our disposal?

Well, the answer isnt exactly simple in and of itself, but it's easy enough to understand.

The current beta build is 0.607rc1. The RC is the important part. RC stands for "release candidate", which means that it's a build in which most (if not all) of the major bugs and most of the minor bugs have been worked out. In addition to this, we've been informed that 0.6 will be finalized within the next week or two.

So, that being said, why not go ahead and move over to the new build so people can get familiar with the changes? That's the step that has been taken and it's going to be a positive one, of that im sure.

Also, downloading the file isnt that hard. I know 2gb seems like a huge file to download and would take all day. The longest reports ive heard were around 4 hours. However, I managed to download it in under 45 minutes. As long as people keep seeding the torrent (meaning that you leave your bit torrent client running after the download is finished so other people can use you as one of their download seeds), download speeds should continue to be very very nice.

Other than that, I look forward to zapping each and every one of you with my defib sometime very soon!

Comment

My point would be why make everyone download 4 gigs at all?

Beta plus release
      Gerardnm

Comment

Originally posted by Ferris Bueller View Post
        Also, downloading the file isnt that hard. I know 2gb seems like a huge file to download and would take all day. The longest reports ive heard were around 4 hours.
        7 hours and counting....

Although I am not using torrent, and I am in Korea. That might explain why;)
        "Dirtboy is super awesome, and chicks dig him too!"- Everyone

Comment

God, i only have 1meg broadband, i dont even wana look at the DL time....ill leave it for a while me thinks!

Comment

Just start the download and head off to bed for the night, but I see your point.

I think the .6 server sat empty so long for that very reason. We had a decent amount of players for the initial .6 release, but it seems that hardly anyone dl'ed the second .6 release because it wasn't an incrimental patch.

Comment

Point taken on downloading 4 gigs total. If one's bandwith were unlimited, Lith1um's suggestion of leaving it on overnight would seem to work best even on a slower connection.

Other than that and other than if the RC code was buggy then I see no reason for anyone not to download it. .5 will be obsolete once .6 final arrives here shortly so it would behoove you to ditch .5 seeing as gameplay has been altered with new maps and assets being added. Why not get used that a little early and be ready when .6 final is complete?

Comment

Originally posted by Dirtboy View Post
                7 hours and counting....

Although I am not using torrent, and I am in Korea. That might explain why;)

All those pics of Alba clogging your cpu up...:icon26:
                "Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results." Gen. George Patton

Comment

After reading the forums i think changing to .6 RC might have been a stroke of genius.

Gives the regs who haven't played the new version some guys to learn from.
                  Gerardnm

Comment

Originally posted by gerardnm View Post
                    Gives the regs who haven't played the new version some guys to learn from.
                    Exactly, it will just shorten the time for people to get to know the new version.

PS: the file is 1,5GB, not 2! That makes 3GB in total when the final version is out... one night should be more than enough to get it. It took me 3 hours when it was just out (barely anyone sharing).
                    Xfire: Iaintyourm8 | Ingame: GhostDog | Steam: Zuigmijnballen

Comment

Ok, so I did the download, took not too long (1.5 hrs) with my cable modem and I played night before last. I agree , the lead in time is good...this is a whole different game now...and CRAZY maps. I love it.

See you in game, unless I see you first.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeepo_SAS View Post
                        God, i only have 1meg broadband, i dont even wana look at the DL time....ill leave it for a while me thinks!
                        So do I, it took about 3-4 hours.

Comment

Loading at night seems to much faster...good luck.

TG rules!

Comment

Hopefully we can decide on the rotation too...some of the maps are sooo boring 4-hr tank battle.......not sure who'll stay on for 4 hours to peer into fog for a tank outline
                            Gerardnm

Comment

Originally posted by gerardnm View Post
                              Hopefully we can decide on the rotation too...some of the maps are sooo boring 4-hr tank battle.......not sure who'll stay on for 4 hours to peer into fog for a tank outline
                              Kashan desert...

Final version will allow server admins to set a timelimit, I 'd rather see less tickets though, 1 hour/round is enough for me.
                              Xfire: Iaintyourm8 | Ingame: GhostDog | Steam: Zuigmijnballen

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X