Commander position

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Commander position

I just had a real disappointing time as Commander tonight on Kashan, but it's pretty late night so it's probably just from all the pubbie idiots.

I started out with an Air squad, but that was full and waiting on spawns so I hopped into the empty Commander post. Made my CP, got my truck, advised the Air squad to keep the CP repaired and headed off. Immediately some guy alone in his own squad started mouthing off that I didn't know what I was doing, accusing me of playing transport till I got the truck blown up. I asked squads in place where they wanted bunkers/firebases and got a response in South bunker, so I took off around the mountain. There was a squad in the hills nearby so I stopped and started a firebase for them but they ignored it and headed off without building. Finally made it to south bunker but they had left. There was an armored column heading south so I went to follow them and set up a firebase/AA gun...but as soon as I got out of the truck some jamoke got in and drove off, taking it directly past the armor, into an enemy CP and got it blowed up.

So I got the truck back and headed to the center map, where they were fighting at North bunker. So I announced my intentions, drove around to the north gate and got blown up, even though there were friendlies all over the north gate who neglected to clear out mines or enemy rocketeers (I don't know what blew me up). All the while that guy in his own squad kept mouthing off to me. w.Warehouse was doing fine, asking me to set waypoints for his A-10 whenever tanks were spotted, but I had a hard time driving and co-ordinating, especially since I couldn't trust anyone else to drive. Finally got sick and tired and logged off.

People need to understand that the Commander post is a very complex and sensitive position and you can't expect a bunker to be initiated immediately when the CO is clear across the map - especially one so big, it takes several minutes to drive.

I just needed to blow off some steam - I guess I shouldn't have expected much at this late hour. Perhaps we can discuss ways to keep people in line and happy with asset deployment and co-ordination in this new, more expanded role.
    |TG-6th|Belhade
    "I am actually looking forward to watching Jon and Kate plus 8." - Dirtboy

Re: Commander position

LOL, late night + big map + boozed up saturday night players = bad round!

there were only about 40 players on the server, so its very hard on that map to command with such little infantry. I felt bad for my pilot squad, as we lost several jets do to some unfamiliarity with them (like my mis-judged landing 10 freaking feet short of the runway, sorry!) But its better to crash them now than after the beta goes live I suppose. I'm off to single player to figure out what I did wrong...

The highlight of my night was waiting 20 minutes for the A10 to spawn in and then lagging out seconds before takeoff. Our poor infantry never had any air support most of that round, and were probably just as frustrated as you were in CMD.

better luck tomorrow!
    |TG-X|WAREHOUSE

Comment

I didn't stay up very late but I was commander for a few rounds and overall it was a good experience. The first round I joined at the end of Qwai and we got our asses kicked because of squads running off 3 CP advancements ahead and nobody defending what we already had, but the next map, Basra, was excellent and I had a good team to work with. My final game, Al Kufra, was beautiful as commander. Everybody followed orders and we finished off the MEC with 350+ points to spare.

I agree that in any BF2 game, the Commander has his hands full with 6+ squads yelling at him at the same time all thinking they are getting your undivided attention and adding the whole building and driving long distances aspect of it makes commanding a chore some times.

Community, not corporation!

TG-Irr BetterDeadThanRe(D)

Xfire-BetterDeadThanRed1

Irregs PR CO

Comment

wrt building commander assets: i find that the best way to do this is to have a dedicated CO squad, comprised of a a few rifleman or engineers. its best to bring this squad with you whereever you travel, prferably in an armed vehicle of their own.

this squad can also double as a defense squad, going to CPs that are not guarded well.

as CO i generally try not to drive close to the enemy positions with the 5ton truck as they are very easy targets

generally i start from the furthest CP from the main, and go to each captured CP and build a bunker and small defenses. once i reach the area where alot of fighting takes place, ill build a firebase in a sensible area out of the action...

having a squad with you is the only way to effectively use the commander assets i think. if you dont have a CO support squad, its still good to direct teh squads and show them where the enemy may come from or where they are currently not watching.

Comment

I hope they refine the co truck, a 6x6 truck should be as hard to tip over as an apc but that thing acts like a vodnik and it'll tip on a 20% side incline.
          The majority of the weight should be at wheel level so its totally wrong.

At least vehicles in 0.6 act like they have all wheel drive finally :)

My bf2 crashed to desktop as kashan loaded, since the players dropped from 62 to 40 I presume the same happened to others. I dont have ctd on 0.5

If you find yourself in a fair fight, then you have obviously failed to plan properly.

Comment

Originally posted by fuzzhead View Post
            wrt building commander assets: i find that the best way to do this is to have a dedicated CO squad, comprised of a a few rifleman or engineers. its best to bring this squad with you whereever you travel, prferably in an armed vehicle of their own.

this squad can also double as a defense squad, going to CPs that are not guarded well.

as CO i generally try not to drive close to the enemy positions with the 5ton truck as they are very easy targets

generally i start from the furthest CP from the main, and go to each captured CP and build a bunker and small defenses. once i reach the area where alot of fighting takes place, ill build a firebase in a sensible area out of the action...

having a squad with you is the only way to effectively use the commander assets i think. if you dont have a CO support squad, its still good to direct teh squads and show them where the enemy may come from or where they are currently not watching.
            Call it "HQ Squad" and TGers will get it.

Comment

I started another CO squad today with Al as our commander and things didn't work out as I hoped initially. I had everybody from tankers to snipers to pilots joining my squad but not a single engineer to speak of. After cleaning house several times, I finally got a worthwhile team assembled and from then on the game was very enjoyable.

I prefer to lock the CO squad at 3-4 members and add new ones by invitation only. If you don't, people tend to "top off" your squad with non teamwork players that you don't notice unless you do a head count.

Community, not corporation!

TG-Irr BetterDeadThanRe(D)

Xfire-BetterDeadThanRed1

Irregs PR CO

Comment

betterdeadthanred:
                anytime I'm on just shout out if we're on the same side. I'll gladly go eng. and team up with you and keep things built/fixed. we did alot of good on that map we worked togeather on.

warehouse: yes that sucked, one time it was over 15 min for the A-10 to respawn. I still don't know why I could not leave that hanger with the F-16, and I was full afterburner too. it was like it was chained down.
                Since the medic class is stuffed now, my new calling is engineer :D
                {Once again, Fetterman wins "Grumpiest Pirate of the Week" award.} "Axis of Eeevil"

Proud Member of "TG-IRR" Since 14 Sept 2007.

Never give up, never give in. Fight until you die, or until you win. Failure does not come from a lack of knowledge or skill... It comes from a lack of will.

"Bittersweet Symphony"

Comment

Fetterman, I think it takes like 30 seconds or more for the jet to warm up enough to take off. I know it was like that in .5 and I doubt they would have changed it.
                  Watch your fire, be safe.

Comment

The f-16 is really testy to get out of the hangar. The only way i've found to do it is to sit there for a while and let it warm up, then put it at full afterburner until it lurches forward, then instantly reverse throttle and pray you can turn away before you go off the runway and into the wall. this was a bug that was mentioned in the initial .6 beta release and it doesnt look like it got fixed.

Comment

Why not just go slowly and turn? I don't get the problem. It works fine for me. I can actually take off without turning, but I feel like turning for realism.

Comment

How on earth do you manage to take off before hitting that wall??
                        Watch your fire, be safe.

Comment

Are you guys kidding? It is extremely easy now since it WAS fixed (its angled now towards the runway). I have not once tried to take off on Kashan until today. Hell I have flown planes in PR like once in my life (and I have been with PR since the very first release)

Anyway, I easily took off my first time (ever). I don't know what you guys are doing. I just pushed w until it moved which pushed my slowly forward so I turned to align with the runway. After that, I held W and took off.

Comment

Originally posted by fuzzhead View Post
                            This is a must have for any commander, without a CO-assist squad there 's no point being commander. You have a lot on your head now as you have to command 6+ squads, give attack orders to jets, spawn assets, stay alive :),...

I can see how some people don't get this though. I bet 90% of the PR players never took a seat in CO position...
                            Xfire: Iaintyourm8 | Ingame: GhostDog | Steam: Zuigmijnballen

Comment

Originally posted by solodude23 View Post
                              Are you guys kidding? It is extremely easy now since it WAS fixed (its angled now towards the runway). I have not once tried to take off on Kashan until today. Hell I have flown planes in PR like once in my life (and I have been with PR since the very first release)

Anyway, I easily took off my first time (ever). I don't know what you guys are doing. I just pushed w until it moved which pushed my slowly forward so I turned to align with the runway. After that, I held W and took off.
                              Exactly. I've never stepped foot in a jet before, but I thought it was a waste that they were on the runway.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X