About the helicopter and HAT

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• About the helicopter and HAT

Ok, I am not here to stir anything, just to get something straight.
    I play with all due respect on the TG PR server, and I follow the rules to the best of my knowledge and try to be fair at all times. I was flying the Little Bird on the Qwai River map carrying 2 squad members, one with LAT and one with HAT. They were targeting tanks and apc's only, and the last time I checked, this is not against the rules. I understand that targeting infantry, or "HAT sniping", is not allowed, but we were not doing this. Of course, infantry may have been killed as a result of the members' use of the weapons, but what can you do about splash damage or a near miss? I am a firm believer of not taking advantage of PR's, um, for lack of a better word, shortcomings about people being able to use rediculous weapons to snipe, for as in the real world, no one would waste a $20,000 missile to take out 1 or 2 persons with light arms. Basically, I was flying these guys around to help combat the tank situation. There is no rule against it. I was kicked for "sniping with HAT". I was not only not the person shooting, but I was within the guidelines and using a tactic that is pretty fair, considering the difficulty of hitting a tank from a helicopter and the lack of any real threat against enemy tanks. I was only aware of the upset the enemy team had about 15 seconds before I was kicked. I am not here to complain as much as I am here to wonder exactly what I did to merit a kick. We were accused of using the HAT against infantry, which is not true, and it appeared that once proven effective, we were kicked because it was too much of a threat to the opposition (though, as I stated, we weren't much of a threat, we just damaged 2 tanks and 1 APC). I am just extremely surprised at the haste of the action by the admin, and the fact that he kicked the wrong person IMO. We were not only not warned, but were unjustly marked as being rulebreakers. The admin message said "no HAT sniping against infantry", and I cannot say it enough, WE WERE NOT SHOOTING THE HAT AT INFANTRY!! Hanging guys off a little bird and shooting armor so we can get the heck out of there is not against the rules, so I am just eager to hear what exactly it was I* did to merit the kick, and to say that not only will I not repeat the action if it is now suddenly against the rules due to our effectiveness, but that I was not in violation at the time (to my knowledge) nor was I sufficiently notified before being kicked to cease my action. I am fond of the TG server, like hundreds are, and I do not feel like I deserved the action taken, with all respect to the fact that TG admins may always do as they please and I will not argue against anyone's wishes. It is late and I had a couple stout beers, so if this comes across as disrespectful or immature, it is not my intent. Thanks!

-IIoS

Re: About the helicopter and HAT

The idea of the project reality is to create a realistic gaming environment. This is also the idea of the TG pr server, as I see it. With that in mind, If you fire an anti-tank weapon from a helicopter your going to kill yourself and everyone in the chopper with the backblast. I believe I saw Dirtboy (the admin at the time) warn whoever was in the chopper about not shooting AT from the chopper. Not to mention you were told repeatedly by TG players that it is against the rules.
    Watch your fire, be safe.

Comment

I was AT sniped along with a mate siting in a field by the other team, as well as being spawn camped 3 times at my main will it was not cappable. it was a shame.

Comment

We are discussing this as we speak. Even though making this post is against forums rules(PM me and we will discuss it further), I will answer the question at hand.

AT from Helos? We are discussing this as we speak and will let everyone know.
        "Dirtboy is super awesome, and chicks dig him too!"- Everyone

Comment

It's completely unrealistic, of course...but if they arent killing lone infantry, thats a legit argument. In real life, yes, the backblast would at least kill somebody else in they LB, not to mention possibly destroy the littlebird. However, it is a video game, and in my eyes, if its possible to take out a tank while doing so, go ahead. But you cant say you werent warned, because I saw alot of people saying that they saw AT sniping.
          Skud

Comment

Hopefully shooting down hovering helicopters is alot easier in final build...

my opinion: shooting a man portable AT weapon from a helicopter simply isnt done IRL and would never be done.... for several reasons but the biggest is that its just not a stable enough firing platform to reliably aim at anything...

as far as rules are concerned: im not a fan of imposing rules such as "dont HAT snipe" and "dont shoot out of choppers"

I hope that we can sort things out that would make these things just bad idea to do in game.

When a HAT is people sniping, it makes him such an easy target to locate and kill because of the extremely loud sound it produces as well as the smoke trail. I can then conviently take him out, steal his HAT kit and then take out the enemy tanks with their own kit ;)

Comment

Originally posted by fuzzhead View Post
              I hope that we can sort things out that would make these things just bad idea to do in game.
              Best thing I've heard all year. PLEASE do this whenever possible.

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

Without confirmed kills, H-AT sniping is just all over the place. I've been HAT sniped 4 or 5 times in the past couple of days. Unfortunatly, not everyone likes to step up and inform mods when they see a squad member doing this. I dont care who they are, if I see a HAT snipe, I try my hardest to find out who did it. Friend or foe.

HAT against infantry is only legit, in my mind, against bunkers or any other fortified buildings that are or are not destructable.

1 bullet.... 2 dollars maybe? 1 HAT rocket... 20,000$
                Skud

Comment

[QUOTE=fuzzhead;750640]Hopefully shooting down hovering helicopters is alot easier in final build...

my opinion: shooting a man portable AT weapon from a helicopter simply isnt done IRL and would never be done.... for several reasons but the biggest is that its just not a stable enough firing platform to reliably aim at anything...

Ya but IRL the H-AT weapons such as the javelin missile are heat seeking missiles not requiring a stable firing platform, although the back blast would enhilate the person next to him
                  sigpic

Do you really want invincible bears running around raping your churches and burning your women?

Intel i7 3930k @ 4.4ghz, 8gb RAM, 2x GTX 570 1gb, OCZ Vertex 3 120 gig SSD

Comment

Thanks for the responses. Sorry for making a thread that's not allowed, I was mostly concerned about making sure I do not go against the Admin wishes in the future. We were warned aginst HAT sniping, and all the admin warnings that I saw regarde AT against infantry, so we continued because we weren't sniping in our opinions, just to clear that up. Of course, flying a chopper and reading isn't the easiest if you want to stay in the air, so I could have missed it, and the only thing I saw that finally answered my question which I had asked in game was just before I got kicked, and they said to land the chopper and let the guys out to fire the AT. My question was can we shoot the AT from the chopper, and multiple peope said not at infantry. I am really not trying to argue, but trying to plead my innocence, and that I was the pilot anyways. I cannot express enough that the warnings by the admin that I saw did not contradict what we were doing, and once I realized the fuss about the situation, I was fervently asking questions before lifting off again to make sure we weren't breaking the rules and were about to get kicked... Everything that was typed in response was in regard to infantry. In fact I was the only one in the squad concerned about it, and ironically was the only one kicked. I know it is unrealistic to fire the HAT from any chopper, but that map is a burn against the Americans when it comes to armored forces. Anyhow, I will just refrain from doing it anymore to be on the safe side. Again sorry for being a thorn in the side, and for making a post that's not allowed, but I do appreciate the responses.

Comment

The topic on hand using an AT, both light and heavy, out of a chopper. Is this done IRL? No, its not. Is it realistic or even plausible? No, its not.

So what I am trying to say here is that if it is not realistic...its not allowed.

iios, I appreciate you making this thread and it needed to be discussed.
                      "Dirtboy is super awesome, and chicks dig him too!"- Everyone

Comment

For future reference topics like this are fine for discussion but lets keep particular admin actions out of the forums. You can send the admin a PM and they will explain anything that needs clarification.
                        Retired 6th DB

Comment

Originally posted by Dirtboy View Post
                          So what I am trying to say here is that if it is not realistic...its not allowed.
                          A reasonable question to ask yourself before committing to any type of action in the game: Would this be acceptable in a real world scenario?

And in this case, the answer would have to be no. Just because it can be done in game, doesn't mean it should. I think everyone needs to reread this thread.

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/tactica...er-primer.html

Comment

In my opinion, you are taking this whole IRL thing to the extreme. I mean this is a game, you are allowed liberties that on IRL you wouldn't have. There comes a point where you have to say, will I really like to hinder gameplay just because it cannot be done in real life?
                            No game will ever be created that will simulate real life, because it is not enjoyable. Somethings will be done that in real life you can't, but that's just to provide a more enjoyable gameplay, otherwise there would be to many limitations that it will become boring.

IMHO

Comment

Originally posted by Tlaloc View Post
                              ...No game will ever be created that will simulate real life...
                              Already been done: ArmA

And in case you dont know what we are about, we are about teamwork and realism
                              sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X