Unhappy with v6

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unhappy with v6

I've been playing v6 on a very limited basis.

I personally feel that the game has been redeveloped towards people who fly, or use vehicles, and that the playability for a foot soldier is pathetic.

Black Sands took a perfectly playable FPS and ruined it, IMO.

So, It's very unlikely I will be returning to the PR server.

I would like to say that I thoroughly enjoyed playing v5 on your server and have met and played the game with some very good people at TG.

Thanks!

Re: Unhappy with v6

Sorry that you feel that way. PR has never been about infantry only, just until recently we have not worked on majority of the vehicle systems.

That being said you should try out some of the smaller servers for more infantry based play.

There are many maps that primarily focus on infantry, and many maps in developement that will be focused on infantry. However we are using the BF2 engine for what its designed: combined arms combat.

Comment

Previous to 0.6 people were stating they feared the oppisite, that game was just becoming like CS or something and big vehicles were not liked by the devs. Funny how things turn out!

I do know roughly what you mean, having a map dominated by jets while you continually die is poor gameplay.
      I always hope that infantary and the majority of players are what decide flag captures with jets at the top of the food chain but still basically supporting the ground troops.

You need to play 0.6 more to decide on it, having a quick look or skimming through the game will not work. If you are an arcade player then this is obviously not for you.

Theres a map list, using that I would recommend for infantary gameplay you try:

helmond province - jeeps only!

al fallujah region - there is an apc but the map has such a massive choke point and together with civilians now the usmc cant just go brute force. Infantary will always decide the fight. It could use 1 pickup rpg kit though imo

hills of hamgyong - dam tough map but again almost no vehicles except for 1 jeep.

Operation Pheonix - definetly this one, its great with the new expanded map. 1 single apc is easily overpowered. Very close knit city flags

Ghost train - helis and apcs but theres so much cover everywhere you should be able to overcome them in any decent infantary squad.

Inishail Forest should never have been taken out, guys like this obviously miss it.

A good squad will make the other maps more playable for you too which is why you would need to play more.

I'd like to see more 16p or 32p size maps with 60 players, if you find a server doing this, tell me! :)

Also do the 32p Basra and 62p Basra AAS versions still exist or just the one we have now?
      Last edited by Sabre_Tooth_Tigger; 07-21-2007, 03:58 PM.

If you find yourself in a fair fight, then you have obviously failed to plan properly.

Comment

The thing about mods is...If you think you can do a better job than mod devs, you can certainly do it yourself. Cause...you dont have to play it. They arent being paid, or bought out by EA. PR has and always will be about infantry, armor, and air, all at once. I play infantry on 90% of the maps. Yes, you may need a jeep. But generally, jeeps arent hard to come by.
        Skud

Comment

Im happy of lots of things that came with v6. One thing I hate is what happened to medic class. It makes it ankward and the self heal doesnt work like it should. I see 1 medic in team because of this, sometimes more, because their squad leader ordered to be one.
          I have nothing against the limited revive paddles.
          I just hate what happened to medic heal.

Comment

Except, now medics get body armor. I'm not complaining.
            Skud

Comment

It takes a while to get .6 down, remember it is NOT .5 so things are going to be different. I play infantry almost all the time, until last night I have never manned a vehicle such as APC or tanks for more than 5 minutes at the most. I have not flown at all in .6, didn't fly in .5 for that matter(talking about jets not heli's). If I fly a heli, I stick to what I should be doing, transporting or in attack LB I try to assist or be a spotter, these are not heavily armored and can be brought down pretty quickly with infantry fire now.
              I think there is more infantry play than vehicle and that is what .6 feel so much better to me. Maybe you are just getting into the wrong squads, a lot of SL will only have "INF Only" squads. Maybe get in a humvee or vodnik at the onset of the map but SL will not want you to get into ANY vehicles after that. Blitzer66 is usually this type of SL and runs a good tight squad.
              I think you should give it another go, give yourself time to adjust and also look for squads that are more infantry than vehicles. Without infantry flags usually can't be caught, jets can't stop on them you know.

Comment

I'm sorry that you aren't enjoying the new version. Personally I like the challenge and teamwork required to take down a tank that is harassing your squad.

If you really feel that PR isn't for you then check out the other games hosted by TG. We have a pretty large Armed Assault following and a pretty active Counter Strike community as well.

Good luck!
                Retired 6th DB

Comment

Originally posted by Wimpinator View Post
                  I'm sorry that you aren't enjoying the new version. Personally I like the challenge and teamwork required to take down a tank that is harassing your squad.

If you really feel that PR isn't for you then check out the other games hosted by TG. We have a pretty large Armed Assault following and a pretty active Counter Strike community as well.

Good luck!
                  No dont get me wrong I love PR. I just dont like playing as medic now. I usually take the rifleman kit or engineer nowdays.

Comment

There is always plain old BF2 or some other mods out there. I personally love the huge maps an the fact that you need to plan your attack. If you feel this way then dont ever buy ArmA.

Comment

My issue is the changes in the game almost require a high level of coordination and teamwork for a team to be successful. Both of those things being almost required in a game make for horrible pub games, especially on a 64 player server.

That along with the bi-map or tri-map server crashes makes it less enjoyable then it was before.

Comment

If you're complaining about pubbies, start your own TG Learner squads. Or just play with fellow TG'ers and a couple pubs in your squad. You'll teach em.
                        Skud

Comment

No, some of you have gotten the wrong impression I believe.

I absolutely hate "arcade". But I don't like being defenseless either.

Too many changes have been made and have swayed the mod from one that was extremely do-able, with a few set-backs, towards an over-compensated version of continuous slaughter.

Being heavily out-ranged by armor vs. anti-armor (assuming you're fortunate enough to get a kit) and anti-air that is still a joke, is not fun. Too few vehicles on maps that are huge and being left on foot is not fun either.

In a perfect world, it may work better, but way too many individuals don't play goal-oriented, and nothing can be done to change that.

There are many limitations with BF2 that need to be recognized. Foremost, is that the communication system is very limited compared to reality. If there is no commander, than there is no communication other than inside the squad, and small squads working independently is not effective enough. ( I should add a poor commander to that as well ).

As far as giving it more time, how much time should someone give, if all the time you're playing, you spend spawning, covering 3000 to 6000 kilometers on foot, just to get pwned so you can do it all over again. It doesn't make any sense.

On a whole, this is a poor result, but I'm not going to write a thesis on it for nit-pickers. It's just overall very poor.

Comment

6000 km is like crossing asia, dude. I think you mean 6000 m. Even so, Kashan isnt that large. Next version will have a 17km map.
                            Skud

Comment

I dont like kashan much either but Im glad they are trying to do new things, this isnt their final version after all.

Its hard for them to make teamwork matter without making the lack of it truely suck and it seems like distance amplifys that effect.

Walking is like a punishment for dying but you get it all the time on kashan just because someone flipped the heli. If it was me tuning the map I'd try a few radical things like handing out a quad bike spawning a new one every minute at main base - walk no more.
                              Just having to travel any distance while not in a jet is punishment enough for any set back.

I have no love for sandy desert type maps at the moment, rest of the mod is cool though

If you find yourself in a fair fight, then you have obviously failed to plan properly.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X