Performance

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Performance

I've been dying to play PR since reading about it, unfortunately, at present it is unplayable on my PC. I've read the PR forums and here and found all the threads about FPS drops and stuttering and the like, tried the advice there, but nothing has helped. It's not really FPS drops, but it's "lag-like", where I'll keep running in a direction without hitting any buttons, won't be able to take any actions during the hiccups, and the like. Even happens on a local game where I'm by myself.

My PC is starting to show it's age, but it's not a slouch. So far, this is the only Mod that does it. Are there any ideas, besides the standard "tweak your settings, virtual memory, close background apps" ? I'm pulling out what little hair I have on my head...

Re: Performance

the only thing that i can think of right now is just get a more ram. Like i have my computer runnin 1.5 gigs of memory at 2.4 some in speed so i suggest getting more ram.
    sigpic

Do you really want invincible bears running around raping your churches and burning your women?

Intel i7 3930k @ 4.4ghz, 8gb RAM, 2x GTX 570 1gb, OCZ Vertex 3 120 gig SSD

Comment

uh.

specs might help us. Are you over clocked? Are your drivers up to date? Have you tried lowering your settings?
      Skud

Comment

Windows XP Pro
        1 GB DDR2
        1.8 gHz AMD 64 3000+
        Geforce 7600 GS

Seems like there are some pretty widespread performance issues, regardless of specs, but there's the basics for mine. All the drivers are up-to-date. No overclocking, and I have tried lowering the settings, yes.

Comment

Memory is definitely your issue, another gig would really help. I have a Athlon XP 3000+ that runs at 2.17Ghz and an ATI X800Xt All-in-Wonder, once in a great while I will get stutter lag, I am sure it from my computer being old and with only 1.5Gb of RAM but have also talked to others during the game that have the same problems which makes me wonder... server having issues or maybe .6 is more demanding then .6 Beta was.
          Run everything on medium except for textures, that may help. Grant you won't have excellent graphics but will be more playable, If that doesn't help then try low settings. Another thing I do, I open Windows task manager and shut down ALL applications that are under "User Name" that have my account name on them EXCEPT explorer.exe or anything I know I need while playing such as TeamSpeak. Some of you memory can be used by these applications that aren't needed while playing. When you restart all should be normal again.

Comment

With that graphics card you might want to look at upgrading your processor. Its most likely bottlenecking it causing it not to run at its full capability. And yes get more RAM it won't just help all games but everything ;)
            |TG|XCliPsX
            Medic, Engineer, Squad Leader, Commander

Quote from the Tactical Gamer Primer:
            Within Tactical Gamer, ANY activity that capitalizes on the limitations of a game to provide the advantage rather than that advantage coming from superior teamwork, strategy and tactics, is frowned upon. We all want to win when we play, but the focus at Tactical Gamer should be one of winning with some sort of dignity, honor, and skill, not because you were able to out-exploit the other team or box them into a corner built on technological weakness that gives you the advantage.

Comment

Do remember that 2GB of fast RAM is way more beneficial that >2GB of average RAM as both XP and Vista don't fully utilise anything above 2GB.

Comment

I think the limit for XP pro is closer to 4gb. I have 2.25gb on xp, the little extra makes it less of a squeeze

If you find yourself in a fair fight, then you have obviously failed to plan properly.

Comment

If you get one of the huge fps drops I find the only way to counter it is to alt-tab out then get back in. I have tried changing settings, updating, etc... but it makes 0 difference.

Damnit Blizzard, fix ZvT already >.<
                  In Soviet Russian, Arma admins are nice to you!

Comment

just to add my input, i have had a couple occasions where the game drops to 3 or so FPS, but it's more like bf2 just became an instant resource hog and my page file usage goes up to almost 1.6GB, with my cpu usage at 98%. i have minimum processes running (every process that runs in the background is not interfering with bf2, after much research on each one :P) and it has only happened in .609, though it's happened 3 or 4 times only.
                    btw, amd 3800x2, 2gb LOW latency ocz plat. ddr, 7800GT oc'ed slightly and runnin off a raptor. at least for me, it is nothing to do with drivers or lack of performing hardware.

alt-tabbing out, esc to menu, even setting the affinity of bf2 and the e5 process to a single core (opposite cores to ensure the least strain) despite the fact that it shouldn't matter anymore thanks to amd's patch, and it still happens on occasion. it hasn't happened in a while though, just many, many, many CTD's.

Comment

when it comes to performance issues, i connect to the tactical gamer server a lot and i lose connection.. i do run a wireless signal so is there any way to cause the loss of connection to happen less? it kinda blows since im supporting the server with money haha. altho i know its not TG's fault in any way.
                      !-==(_GhostsxFury_)==-!

------------------------
                      Games:
                      Battlefield 2
                      Battlefield 2142
                      *Project Reality Mod*

Comment

Look up general solutions to bf2 problems of that type. Most obvious is to be on 256k connection not lan, its in the options.

If you find yourself in a fair fight, then you have obviously failed to plan properly.

Comment

Im experiencing lots of Crash to desktops, which I didnt have in the last version. Also I got today total computer crash while playing.

Seems like 0,6 was released bit too hasty...

Comment

well after really playing the TG server, there seems to really be something about NOT double clicking the TG server name. click once, and then hit join server. so far i have never lost connection with my wireless internet when using this method, and i lose connection after about 5 min when i double click. sounds like madness, but somehow its beginning to make sense.
                            i also checked my connection settings and they were appropriate. so far the server has been treating me nicely now! thx for the help.
                            !-==(_GhostsxFury_)==-!

------------------------
                            Games:
                            Battlefield 2
                            Battlefield 2142
                            *Project Reality Mod*

Comment

One Gb of RAM is really the minimum for BF2 and PR, I would definitely add more memory. Processor could also use an upgrade :).

@GhostxFury: I once tried gaming wireless and had a lot of lag issues even though my router (Belkin) was right next to my pc. If you can play wired, I wouldn't think twice.
                              Xfire: Iaintyourm8 | Ingame: GhostDog | Steam: Zuigmijnballen

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X