Performance

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Performance

I used to play with 512meg and in BF2 the only (64p) map that wont lag due to memory issues is Jalalabad because it has a very low texture requirement as far as I can tell.
    Even that will lag for about half an hour till it pages everything it needs into memory.

If you want to isolate a lag problem, turn down all your graphical settings. Vary the server size and number of players and watch your fps all the time

If you find yourself in a fair fight, then you have obviously failed to plan properly.

Comment

For people running high settings it seems that 2gig is pretty much sitting on the fence of ram usage in large maps such as Al Basrah. I commonly found that by just closing something small in the background such as Steam @ 20mb ram would make a night and day difference.

I would strongly recommend upgrading to 3gigs - for you x86 users - or even 4gigs if you have the extra cash and a 64x version of windows.

I used to get that "connection to the server has been lost" message every 10 minutes as well. There would be no loss in connection, no 'lag' in game, just an instant crash to menu with the error message. This was actually unrelated to my connection, all I needed was the AMD 64x optimizer and fix for Windows XP.

Just some food for thought, hope it helps somebody.

Cheers,
      ZaBoo

Comment

Originally posted by Hoban Washburne View Post
        Windows XP Pro
        1 GB DDR2
        1.8 gHz AMD 64 3000+
        Geforce 7600 GS

Seems like there are some pretty widespread performance issues, regardless of specs, but there's the basics for mine. All the drivers are up-to-date. No overclocking, and I have tried lowering the settings, yes.
        Something tells me its the CPU choking? my secondary rig is 3GHz intel[presscot], 1gig ram[4 sticks, ddr1] and 9600xt, it runs PR on medium details with maximum draw distance without the shuttering you mentioned, and when I play window'd I can see cpu utilization at 100%, Kashan Desert is pretty much unplayable on this machine.

About RAM: Windows XP 32bit[the version that 99% people have] can only address 3.5gig of RAM, beyond that windows wont use the RAM and you'll have to upgrade to XP 64bit, sadly the transition is not that simple as most programs that work on 32bit will not work on 64bit.
        Mind you that theres 32bit and 64bit versions of Vista aswell with the same limitation.

PR's highest RAM useage on my main rig was 2.2gig in Al Basrah, that was with everything on maximum and 1200x1000 resolution, the specs are:
        E6300[1.86ghz, dual core], x1950pro 256mb and 2gig DDR2, it was not noticeable at all, I was playing on that map with around 50-60 fps and was only later shocked to see that it used pagefile for the game.

What I'd do to isolate the problem:
        Turn down game resolution to something small such as 600x400, then play around..if your not shuttering then its your CPU bottlenecking, if you are - its your RAM.

Best of luck.

Comment

I had exactly the same problem in the past with the delay in actions and it was actually just after I had installed Norton Antivirus. The program had set itself by default to realtime protection, which I suppose means it was checking everything being received which produced the weird lag. If you have any sort of virus/spyware protection you might want to try disabling it and closing it out of the system tray before playing.

Comment

i had read a while back about the process uaservice7.exe causing problems with games, so it has been disabled for a couple months now. at least with vanilla, it helped a great deal against crashing as much. for whatever reason, i haven't had a crash lately in-game... usually when i leave the game running in the server search menu, i will come back 15-20 minutes later to see my desktop.
            i strongly recommend limiting the services and processes running to aid against lag and crashing... for example i only run 20 processes (all essential to keep windows running :P), but somewhere around 26-28 is normal.

Comment

pb_sleep 500

type that into the console during a game and you will reduce any workload from pb.

The number of processes running with a game of PR active should not require you to scroll the task manager process list at all. Ie. 1 page of processes, the rest is junk like printer spooling buffers - I dont even own a printer

If you find yourself in a fair fight, then you have obviously failed to plan properly.

Comment

Originally posted by Sabre_Tooth_Tigger View Post
                The number of processes running with a game of PR active should not require you to scroll the task manager process list at all. Ie. 1 page of processes, the rest is junk like printer spooling buffers - I dont even own a printer
                Heh. i have 42-46 processes on now. something like 5 are for my AV alone (Avast) which are active even when those services are stopped. Some for my creative X-FI stuff (volume panel, EAX/THX settings) nvidia stuff.. it all adds up, although usually it's still about 256-300meg load like it was before i had all these things.

<04:11:24> *** You are now talking in channel: "TFP - Task Force Proteus"
                <04:16:25> "|TG-XV| Tralic": this channel is so gay
                DICE needs to make a comical boxing glove attached to a spring punch the player in the face 40% of the time they get into a helicopter or jet.

Comment

Well my approach is bare basics. I completely disable everything in the startup group and so on
                  If you have fancy sound setup or something else then you can expect more processes to be present but I'd try it without if there was any problems personally.
                  A good utility to try is enditall, which will nuke every non OS process before you start a game. You dont need to run explorer.exe either, tskmgr is fine

Comment

^heh i didn't even think of disabling explorer before going into the game... make that 19 processes i run!

Comment

Depends how desperate you are but turning the windows desktop wallpaper blank is another easy thing to do. The actual memory footprint of the wallpaper will be much greater then the original filesize especially if was a cleverly compressed jpeg.

It might be that this kind of information gets paged to disk anyway but why wait for windows to do that, chug chug, when you can disable it beforehand yourself

The commit charge of windows after first loading can be around 100meg.

Comment

I cant edit my above post so I'll just add something else I noticed.

Using vidmemwatch you can see how much vram bf2 is using. In my case it uses all of the 256meg and then starts to eat into the main memory, about another 200 meg.

This extra usage does show up on the task manager, but if you alt tab out of a live game you will see your page file usage graph has just taken a drop.

The precise amount it drops by is the amount that the video card is using from your main memory.

Everytime you alt tab out of a live game, you flush some of the video memory (to display the desktop - 70 meg or so in my case) and also all of the texture memory space (the main memory) which then has to be reaccumulated inside the game - this is the lag or jerkiness you can get at the start of the game which goes away after the whole map is in memory

Rivatuner and Ati tray tools can show this kind of info like a fps counter inside the game.

Heres an example. Theres no dip showing in the graph because Ive been writing this message but Im still running bf2 in the background.

In the bottom left corner the difference between the Total commit charge and the Peak Commit charge is the amount of texture memory used by the game to compensate for low vram. A 128 meg video card instead of the 256meg one Im currently using would raise peak usage by another 128meg

This is why PR can sometimes consume 2.2gig when playing

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X