Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loading Times Test

Hello,

Many times whenever starting a new round, I notice that the round has begun before my computer has finished loading it. I was interested in seeing if this was the case for everyone else who plays this mod so I would like for everyone to do this little test.

First, list your system configuration. I would prefer that you gather your config from the utility avaliable at CNET.

Search for any game on download dot com. Go there under date added, you will find a link which says "Find out if your computer can run this game." Click it, and copy only your system specs down.

Here are mine:
    CPU: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.40GHz
    System RAM: 1023.0 MB (I would appreciate if someone told me how to find what type of RAM this is i.e. DDR or w.e they call it.)
    Video Card: Radeon X1600 Series 512MB (ATI Radeon Graphics Processor AGP (0x71C2))

Second, list your graphic setup

Display Mode: [email protected]
    Terrain: Medium
    Effects: Medium
    Geometry: Medium
    Texture: Medium
    Lighting: Medium
    Dynamic Shadows: Medium
    Dynamic Light: High
    Antialiasing: Off
    Texture Filtering: High
    VSD: 100%

Audio Renderer: Hardware
    Sound Quality: Medium
    EAX: on

Third, set up the game

Go to multiplayer, click create local, switch to insurgency, and create an albasrah 64. Track your time from the beginning of the load where the mouse turns into the tag until Verifying Client Data

My clocks in at 3:13, what about yours?

Re: Loading Times Test

heres my two systems:

CPU: Intel CoreExtreme QX6700 Kentsfield Quad Core OC'd at 3.23Ghz
    System RAM: 4GB DDR2
    Video Card: Dual ATI Radeon X1950 Pro XTX Series 1GB

Terrain: High
    Effects: High
    Geometry: High
    Texture: High
    Lighting: High
    Dynamic Shadows: High
    Dynamic Light: High
    Texture Filtering: High

Sound Quality: High

TIME: 0:46

CPU: Intel Core2Duo 2.0Ghz
    System RAM: 2GB DDR2
    Video Card: ATI Radeon X1950 Pro 512MB

Terrain: Medium
    Effects: Medium
    Geometry: Medium
    Texture: Medium
    Lighting: Medium
    Dynamic Shadows: Medium
    Dynamic Light: Medium
    Texture Filtering: Medium

Sound Quality: High

TIME: 1:16

However, also note that there are other things that will effect your load time besides your hardware. The size of your page file, other programs running in the background, etc, all have an effect. Next time you load up, try making sure everything that isnt a system-essential process is closed before you un battlefield. At that point you should have less than 25 processes running on your computer. Id be willing to bet you'll see significantly decreased load times.

Concerning your setup though, I'd also try setting your graphics settings to low or picking up at least 1GB more RAM. 2GB seems to be the magic number for most people to run the game at good speeds.

Comment

First off, Video settings got nothing to do with loading times.
      Cpu, Ram and Hard Drive. Hard Drive speed is most important for loading a map fast.

Just did your test. 55 seconds !

Opteron148 @2.8Ghz, 2Gig Corsair XMS and most important 74G WD Raptor

Your box is a little out of date. Consider to upgrade.

P.S. try out this tool. It'll tell you what your box is made of.
      http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html
      Last edited by IcemanGER; 07-29-2007, 07:16 PM.

Comment

IcemanGER, belarc doesn't tell me what type of RAM I have, otherwise, I know what my system is made of.

So is 3:13 normal for my system? Is there anyway to lower it other than turning off all processes under my username (All except, SYSTEM, LOCAL SERVICE, and NETWORK SERVICE)

Comment

I actually have almost exactly the same rig as you, with a 2.4 pent.4, 1gig ram, but a ATI x850 pro. I recently added a WD Raptor drive to the rig and it did help a bit on the load time. Right now I am at about 1 min. to load to where I can click Join Game.
          Also, as they mentioned above, I always shut down all unnecessary processes before gaming. There are lots of guides out there that will help you with this, but basically I just open task manager, open google.com, and search for all the .exe running, like firefox.exe, etc.
          Tons of websites will tell you weather what the program is and if you can turn it off. I-Tunes, for example causes 2-3 processes to always be running in the background, even if you don't use it and just have it installed.
          Look around and you will easily find a guide on how to keep those things from starting when you turn your rig on, but they will still work fine when you need them. I help a girl at work the other day with her new Acer laptop, just out of the box, and it had 60+ processes running. Good thing she paid for 2 gig. of ram, she's going to need it.
          I go in game with ~24 processes running, if I have like ventrillo going.
          Also, 2-3 times since I first started playing BF2/PR, my harddrive would slip into some old legacy mode and start running EXTREMELY slow, causing my load times to go up to 3-4 mins. You might want to check that you are still running in DMA (or Ultra DMA if you have it) mode, and not in PIO mode which is very very slow.

Go to your Device Manager, click to expand the IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers, then right click on the Primary IDE Channel (and secondary later) and choose Properties, then click the Advanced Settings tab.
          The transfer mode should be set to "DMA if Available". If not, set it to that, and reboot and come back to check it is still there. If not, you will need to figure out why it won't. One time I just said screw it and reinstalled XP, and I don't remember the other.

It took me days of searching why my loading was taking so long to figure that above thing out, so if that is what it is for you it can be an easy fix.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

For checking your RAM, try this out CPU-Z. Gives lots of info about your RAM.
            Focused

Comment

cpuz will do it. You can check your motherboard as well. Find out what it is and check the manufature web site. d/l the manual.

Comment

Both set to Ultra DMA already (one is Ultra DMA Mode 5, the other is Ultra DMA Mode 2). I tried turning off all processes under my username and got only 28 left before turning on BF2. This brought my load time from 3:13 to 2:56, it might have helped a little or it might have been coincidence, but I'm not too satisfied with this either.

Comment

Pshh.... I have ONLY 1.5GB of 333Mhzz of RAM and most people that know me know I am waiting for about 1:15 during commander selection screen.
                  I had found a program called DiskTrix UltimateDefrag and I use it on my 2 hard drives. First HDD is a Seagate 7200RPM 20Gb that I have ONLY Windows XP on, secong HDD is a WD 7200RPM 80Gb that I have partitioned out into about 25Gb and 55Gb. The 25 Gb is what I have my games installed on, the 55 for back up stuff, music and such.
                  Anyway, I run the UlimateDefrag to set PR on the second HDD as the main priority and it puts PR at the beginning or outside edge of the HDD which is fastest. All other stuff that is not really needed such as the movies and such in the PR or BF2 folders are set to archive, which are then placed toward the most inner part of the HDD which runs slowest. The 55Gb is all archived and is the second partition of the second HDD.
                  Having the HDD's set up this way, one can access all info needed to run Windows without trying to access any game data while the other HDD is just accessing game data. There is only one read/write head on the HDD so trying to get them to read multiple applications at one time is going to slow you down. If I put all on one HDD then it takes forever for me to load a map for PR and start playing, game is usually underway by the time i get done loading. I have seen a huge performance gain in setting up 2 HDD's and then coming across the defrag program was perfect for me and my old slow computer.

AMD Athlon XP +3000 running at 2.16Ghz
                  1.5Gb of 333Mhz Ram
                  ATI All-In-Wonder X800XT 256Mb
                  1-20Gb Seagate 7200RPM hard drive
                  1-80Gb Western Digital 7200RPM hard drive

settings in game are all set to medium EXCEPT TEXTURES which I have set to low. On certain maps such as Kashan I have very, very little lag. Which I am not sure if it is video lag, lack of memory, or just slow processor. But what I have seen, I do not play as poorly as some others with comparable rigs.

Oh, I forgot to post.....97 seconds to the verifying client data....not to shabby for an older PC, huh?

Also, when you turn off processess in the Windows Task Manager it will be the ones listed under your "User Name", basically I turn off everything EXCEPT explorer.exe. Everything else will loadup on the next system restart.
                  Last edited by msdz; 07-29-2007, 09:54 PM.

Comment

DDR 166MHz RAM Single: Bad?

Comment

Time to upgrade !

Comment

Just did a defrag, but the time didn't drop much. I noticed that out of the files it couldn't defrag was some zip file in the pr folder in Battlefield 2. Does this have anything to do with it, or is my machine just not up to it.

Comment

I use Everest to check my system, not sure if it 's still freeware though but it 's a great program... shows you more than you wanna know :).

DDR 166Mhz is outdated, an upgrade would be in place.

I 'll try and post my specs + load time tonight.
                          Xfire: Iaintyourm8 | Ingame: GhostDog | Steam: Zuigmijnballen

Comment

Originally posted by IcemanGER View Post
                            Time to upgrade !
                            I think a whole new PC might be in order, looking at those specs...

Comment

Well, it plays battlefield 2 well, so upgrading would be a waste right now. Its only the long load times that bother me.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X