Flying help/advice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flying help/advice

I've been a ground-pounder forever, as well as mostly an APC gunner, etc. But lately I've been trying to expand my horizons if you well, but I'm finding it very hard to fly the aircraft in PR (and vanilla, really, but this one is even harder)

I've flown a lot in civilian sims and was trying my hand at il2 sturmovik and falcon 4.0 for a bit (though falcon has lots of problems on modern computers..)

I have a Saitek X52, without a custom profile for PR. I know about the waiting until the engines warm up rule and all, and i started a singleplayer server on al jabar and kashan.

It seems every time i try to take off in any helicopter, it's hard to set it to more or less hover, it always wants to go up or down hard. Also, the littlebirds nudge forward hard and when i pull back to compensate, i overpitch and fly into whatever's behind me.

The airplanes are worse, though (although i'm very used to prop/turboprop sim flying...so might be different like that) Even after allowing time for them to warm up, it seems that it takes another 10 seconds or so before my throttle settings are even recognized. I put it up to 15-20% to taxi to the runway and nothing happens, then all of a sudden i leap forward way too hard for he rudder and nosewheels to turn and i slam into the wall or etc, and it takes another couple minutes to finagle my way back onto the runway. I DID successfully land the frogfoot once, but it never seemed to rearm on kashan..

Is it just because i'm used to much higher sim-level flying and responsiveness and thats throwing my perception off, or what?

<04:11:24> *** You are now talking in channel: "TFP - Task Force Proteus"
    <04:16:25> "|TG-XV| Tralic": this channel is so gay
    DICE needs to make a comical boxing glove attached to a spring punch the player in the face 40% of the time they get into a helicopter or jet.

Re: Flying help/advice

First, about the Choppers in BF2 and using a joystick: Most top flyers dont use 'em. Period. There are a few pilots that swear by them, and they certainly (like in planes, but later on that) provide a more stable platform for making big adjustments.
    However there is nothing, and I mean nothing, that compares to the mouse to provide the miniscule amount of fine tuning during flight. Im excluding the keyboard (however I recommend it) because it seems that a sliding throttle can provide a more accurate control method to applying power.
    I am in no means excluding the fact that some people are very good with a joystick, but I recommend giving the mouse and key a try before you continue to frustrate yourself with the joystick.

As a sidenote, the vanilla choppers are undeniably fine tuned for use with mouse and key, especially with the sensitivity maxed out.

As for when in flight, the trick in PR is VERY small motions, especially the BH. The flight characteristics in PR are already very sensitive, so starting off by lowering the sensitivity settings in your options is a start. The LittleBird by the way is very similar in control to the vanilla Cobra, with the exception of the fact that the LB rolls with the touch of a breeze.

Another tip on the choppers would be simply put: Practice. The easiest bit of advice, the more you fly a certain chopper the more you get to know how it moves naturally, and in turn how many things you have to take into account to make it do what you want it to. This includes: How hard you have to pull up, and how long you have to pull up in order for the chopper to pull out from a steep dive? How quickly does the chopper rotate/roll/accelerate/decelerate/climb/descent?
    As well as various other calculations that can make things more exact.

I will admit, though, that I haven't had the chance to spend too much time in the choppers in PR, but I do think I got enough time in to get a baseline in comparison to the vanilla choppers (which I have tons of time in).
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Jumping to planes though, I would post more but I need more time to get all my thoughts together, or someone else can take that all together.

I can cover your question about the take-off though. That's easy. I didnt particularly count the time it takes to warm up, but I can give a rough estimate of anywhere between 15~25 seconds. After that forget the taxi.

After you wait that amount of time, push full throttle and full burners (if your in the Fighters, not the Bombers). You should gain a bit of speed before hitting the tarmac "jump", but just before you hit the "jump" put some rudder on the left in order to line you up as much as possible to the perpendicular of the tarmac "jump", while at the same time dropping your left wing ~10 degrees (this is mostly to compensate for the fact that you will most likely not hit the "jump" at a perfect perpendicular angle, and will drop your right wing down some) this is all in preparation for the hard part. Clearing the fence.

Ideally you should be at full throttle and full burners as you hit the "jump" , and the rudder and wing compensation should provide the stability as you hit it as well.

When you hit, Pull Hard back all the way. While at the same time maintaining the same rudder and wing configuration. Until you level out, which ideally wil happen just before you cross right over the barriers. Now if youve been at full burner, and max pull, this should put you right over the top of the barriers.

Unfortunately it puts you right into the Out-Of-Bounds (at least on the USMC side, I cant remember the MEC side) So just after clearing the barriers your going to have to roll hard to the right (80-90 degrees essentially) while gaining speed and altitude at the same time. This is where the burners help too. You should be clearing right back into bounds around the end of the runway. And your clear to move to your targets.

Well that was actually more than I thought Id type, But I hope its helpful.

P.S. Ive played around quite a bit with Falcon 4:AF, Lock-on, and a couple of other flight sims, and I found that It only helped me at flying in BF2 since BF2 is more simplified in the flight characteristics than those sims. The advice that I can give you about using what you know from these is to pretty much tone down what you might know in regards to simulation flying and focus primarily on the actions and motions that will gain you an edge in the air.
    Focused

Comment

Im extremely novice at flying in PR and have only been practicing in single player Kashan, but I have found that the fastest way to get in trouble in a heli at take-off is to give it any nudge other than straight up until youre a good 20m in the air. The tops of those bunkers in the middle of the map are great for learning how to flare a BH for a rapid insertion.

Whats this with the jumps on the runway? I can guess by the name, but do they really give you a speed boost? Guess I hadnt noticed. Do you need to land to reload ammo? How long does that take? I find I need to throttle back and circle a few times to get the jets to land without running out of runway... is there another way to slow down once you touch I dont know about?

Comment

Mat552 made a pretty useful thread about this :).

There 's also a guide written by BetterDeadThanRed included in the official PR docs, give it a read if you haven't already.
        Xfire: Iaintyourm8 | Ingame: GhostDog | Steam: Zuigmijnballen

Comment

Start off slow. Try a blackhawk for practise at take off and landing.

When you practise, try to move 6 feet and land first then 12 feet and so on.

Easiest way to land a chopper is get near the ground and jump out, totally unrealistic but you will flip it trying to land most of the time.

With the planes, adjust the throttle to 10% to warm it up and it shouldnt jump forward. Only some parts of the runway will repair

If you find yourself in a fair fight, then you have obviously failed to plan properly.

Comment

Originally posted by PhoenixxFire View Post
            First, about the Choppers in BF2 and using a joystick: Most top flyers dont use 'em. Period. /I]
            Thats pretty disapointing, because i could fly the littlebird-like helicopter (forget the name) in FS2k4 decently with mine.

I figured it would be a bit easier to control the airplanes, they seem to have a very big turning radius, even the f-16. How hard is it to do combat manouvers like peeling off, or immelman turns? They seem to want to just turn in lazy circles most of the time.

PS. I'l admit, i'm not that great a combat sim player, especially F4: AF mostly because there's just so much buttons and information thrown at me at once, that i usually crash/get hit while trying to navigate my MFD, looking around the cockpit for my flare switch, etc ;) I suppose it comes from starting in things like the early MS flight sims without the 3d cockpits and with the old ww2 type aircraft but I seem to fly a lot better without 90% of the instrumentation distracting me, I fly most stuff fine with just an artificial horizon, altimiter, and airspeed indicator. Remember that MS FS scenario with the 747 landing instruments-only in bad weather? I've nailed it with engines off and cockpit power failure before..

<04:11:24> *** You are now talking in channel: "TFP - Task Force Proteus"
            <04:16:25> "|TG-XV| Tralic": this channel is so gay
            DICE needs to make a comical boxing glove attached to a spring punch the player in the face 40% of the time they get into a helicopter or jet.

Comment

With regards to the jets: you don't taxi using the throttle. Put your throttle up to 40% when you get in and put the stick all the way down - after 10 secs or so you will start to move forward at about 20kph. Put the throttle to 0 and use the stick to taxi onto the runway - putting the nose "down" taxis forward and putting it up taxis it back. When you get on the runway put full throttle on, and you'll take off in about 20 seconds.

Comment

Betterdeadthanred made a great guide for the PR wiki.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by PhoenixxFire View Post
                  First, about the Choppers in BF2 and using a joystick: Most top flyers dont use 'em. Period. There are a few pilots that swear by them, and they certainly (like in planes, but later on that) provide a more stable platform for making big adjustments.
                  That is just one opinion. The biggest thing I hate to see is a LBgunship pilot who's using mouse and keyboard . Why? It takes a mouse/keyboard pilot 10 minutes to get 4 infantry kills. I personally (a stick user) racked up 93-3 on Qwai River a few days back....thanks to those "big adjustments". I have an x52 but I prefer the Logitech extreme 3d pro for PR. It's got a smaller range of movement, and an easier throttle to manipulate rapidly. With that 3d Pro and some practice, you'll soon rule the sky.

By the way, www.lead-pursuit.com They have a new version of Falcon 4.0 that actually WORKS! Its called Falcon 4.0: Allied Force.
                  Murderous

Comment

I have a Logitech Extreme 3d Pro...and I still cant fly a chopper with it,no matter how much practice I have. Little Birds are out of the question for me flying even with a mouse and keyboard (well...I can fly them,just not land). I do decent in Blackhawks,I only crash when I have uneven terrain...and thats easy to fix. Just don't land there,haha.

Comment

Originally posted by Murderous View Post
                      I personally (a stick user) racked up 93-3 on Qwai River a few days back....thanks to those "big adjustments". I have an x52 but I prefer the Logitech extreme 3d pro for PR. It's got a smaller range of movement, and an easier throttle to manipulate rapidly. With that 3d Pro and some practice, you'll soon rule the sky.
                      I 've seen you busy, you 're like a sniper in that thing... damn you :).

Originally posted by imnotacanadian View Post
                      I do decent in Blackhawks,I only crash when I have uneven terrain...and thats easy to fix. Just don't land there,haha.
                      Exactly, don't land on uneven terrain... if you accidently hit the ground and start to tip over, bail out and both you and the chopper should survive :D.

I prefer a joystick, never tried m/k and never will, it just doesn't feel right.
                      Xfire: Iaintyourm8 | Ingame: GhostDog | Steam: Zuigmijnballen

Comment

Originally posted by imnotacanadian View Post
                        I have a Logitech Extreme 3d Pro...and I still cant fly a chopper with it,no matter how much practice I have. Little Birds are out of the question for me flying even with a mouse and keyboard (well...I can fly them,just not land). I do decent in Blackhawks,I only crash when I have uneven terrain...and thats easy to fix. Just don't land there,haha.
                        If you are having a problem flipping helos, try turning your sensitivity down to 1 and slowly increasing it as you become more and more used to it. At a setting of 1, you can pretty much SNAP right to the ground by holding down S.
                        As for taxiing jets out of the hangar, the throttle set to 10-20% and your joystick forward should be all that it takes. You can also just wait until it completely warms up and hold SHIFT for afterburners and take straight off pulling back carefully not to scrape the fence or your tail wings on the ground.

Definitely read the forum threads by the other 2 guide-writers, and check out the site www.joytokey.com for a nice application that allows you to spot enemies while flying and more.
                        |TG-X|WAREHOUSE

Comment

to avoid flipping the chopper when landing, keep throttling up a little as you throttle down... something along the lines of 2 down, 1 up. that way you get soft on the ground. if you are not getting out of the chopper, keep the throttle up as much as possible while on the ground, so that the skids are very light. never try to rotate the chopper while it is grounded. it takes a lot of practice to rotate teh chopper at ground level because idealy you want to lift off a few inches and rotate, then set it back down. it just takes much more practice in the little bird... of course, i could get pretty technical in trying to explain it, as i'm learning to fly irl =)

btw, it's possible to land on uneven terrain, it just takes a lot of practice.
                          here's an online guide to real flying, which helps for bf2 for learning basic techniques, and i recommend any chopper pilot to read it.
                          w w w . dynamicflight.com/flight_maneuvers/

Comment

Avoid uneven ground because even if you land, taking off will be a pain especially from cold.

If you find yourself in a fair fight, then you have obviously failed to plan properly.

Comment

I'm learning more and more as I go,yesterday on Sunset City I joined the round late,but grabbed the recon chopper and didn't crash,had a few insertions and a couple of kills with in 5 minutes.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X