Squad Leadership

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Squad Leadership

Although a newby here, I'm thinking about something that might possibly be worked on in PR.
    A while back I was enjoying an evening on a Project Reality server. As I said, I'm a rookie, but I suddenly found myself as a squad leader. "How the Hell did that happen?" I thought. Needless to say, I botched it up pretty well.
    Now, I'm thinking of the reality part of this, and I can't help wondering, how many times has a lowly PFC found himself in command of a major military operation?
    There are probably those out there like myself, who are either too new, or just do not want to be in command. So, how about this.
    Start a command school. A BF2 ROTC program, if you will. Those who feel they would like to lead would take the course. Then, when you log on, the present commander would ask, "Pooch, are you leadership qualified?" I'd say no or yes. If yes, he'd either write down my name, or make a mental note, and if he is killed or has to leave he'd hand the unit over to me.
    I think this would help to make the mod more realistic, since of course, if the General is killed they don't just pick some poor GI out in the field and tell 'im, "Hey Private, you're in charge! What do we do?"
    It would keep guys from getting into situations they weren't comfortable with.
    You'd also get a better grade of C.O.!
    If the ROTC idea is too much, then those wanting to lead could at least acknowledge the fact that they had read the PR manual on squad leadership, and would like a chance to lead.
    Good or lousy idea? Be gentle!

Re: Squad Leadership

TGU has a few things coming down the road that will help you out. Until then I would say to hop in a squad with a good SL and ask questions about how things are done. Jump in any 6th Devils squad that is open.
    Retired 6th DB

Comment

You seem to be getting mixed up between CO and SL - the system whereby the next SL is chosen when the current one leaves, is, as I understand it, something that is hardcoded from vBF2. And it is impossible to "designate" someone to take over a squad. I don't even know what criteria the game uses to select the next SL - it seems to be random.

Comment

I believe it picks the person with the highest score.
        Retired 6th DB

Comment

I had the same issue for a while and would constantly leave and rejoin squads so I wouldn't have to deal with being SL. Lately though, I've been starting to try it out and I've actually suprised myself a few times at how well my squad performed under me. There's nothing like winning a round as SL with your squad being the top contributor to the team.

I say don't panic if you are suddenly faced with being SL. The way PR is, you can stop, take a breath and figure out what your squad needs to do. Communication is key. Let your squad mates and CO (if you have one) know your inexperienced as SL and just dive into it.

-Boosted

Comment

Okay, guys. Thanks for the answers. Might be time to take a look at the PR manual and see what being a squad leader is all about so that I'll be a little better prepared next time.

Comment

Originally posted by Pooch View Post
              Okay, guys. Thanks for the answers. Might be time to take a look at the PR manual and see what being a squad leader is all about so that I'll be a little better prepared next time.
              It's not so bad. You can do a better job than most people out there by remembering a few simple things:

1. Let your squad know what you are trying to accomplish. Communicate.

2. Make sure to set up a rally point.

3. Let the squad take point and do the dirty work. Your job is to stay alive and focus them on the objective at hand.

When I'm doing SL I like to do defensive missions simply because they are usually the most neglected on a public server.

Hope this helps!

Bernout

|TG-MD6|

Comment

Bernout, I had suggest the same thing a while back. I wanted to have a night or two that was organized with select squad leaders that are 'vets' of the game and mod that could give us all newer folk some time in game to see them at work. Just today I had the pleasure of a full squad of TG and it was the best round I was in for some time.

It shouldnt be too hard to have a PW night where there are a few volunteer SL's to take non internal clan SM's through a few tactical drills. But From what I saw there was not much in the way of movement on this...

Wimpinator and many of the vet TG guys are more than helpful, IF, and I say IF, you can get in their squad. I find that too often I am in the fray with a squad that no one wants to lead and well...you can guess the rest. We usually come up against Warehouse and get smoked.

My 2 cents.
                sigpic Sometimes I rip, other times I RIP.

Comment

Ps, I meant to direct the reply toward Pooch....Bernout has a very good simple way to survive the SL role....

Comment

Everyone should SL. Personally I don't always feel like it, and I always look for players I know that are SL-ing.

The most important things to start with imo is:

-Talk, have a plan. Even if it is a crap plan, it is still more fun then no plan. Instead of saying attack, say attack from the low ground in the east, for those trees etc.

-!Kick people that don't respond adequately after 1 warning. They can always come back and do better. "Stray-ers" take away too much from the squad and are disrespecting your effort to lead. Do yourself a favor and deal with em quickly.

Comment

If you wear the TG tag, I believe you should be SL's or making efforts to become SL's.

It's the most important skill in the game. Leadership requires quite a bit, even with just voip. For example, you need to know game mechanics, different weapons and ammo counts, assets, terrain, topography, some formations, specialties of squad members...it goes on and on.

Topography is something that I work real hard on. I strongly suggest it for everyone else. Even if you dont memorize 100% of all the maps, it can be extremely valuable just to know one map 110% inside out. In my case, I know Mestia's topography like the back of my hand. While I cant say the same for other maps, I think it gives me a great edge over other squads when I choose to lead a squad on that map.

Basically...Becoming a good SL can take alot of research, even for a video game. I've read Sniper training manuals, formations, the art of war, and lots of other material on tactics and strategy but I can tell you that it's always a challenge, and I'm always learning and trying out new things.
                      Skud

Comment

Can I ask if people do kick, its not done in a temper. Kicking someone without warning is poor play by a sl imo and often just giving them a choice to fall in line or leave is enough

If you find yourself in a fair fight, then you have obviously failed to plan properly.

Comment

I usually SL if there isn't an organized squad i can find, our SL leaves, or i just plain ol'e feel like SL'ing. It's alot different than being a SM, you need to be alot more cautious and more aware of your surroundings. If there is no commander, or even if there is one, always know what other squads around you are doing. If they are covering a certain area, dont necessarily move up with them, but flank around. I'm not too strict while squad leading, as long as i have a medic or two in my squad and people arent spawning on the other side of the map im satisfied, but it's definately a completely different (and fun) experience.
                          If you do feel like SL'ing and are unsure just invite a TG guy or two and if you have any questions feel free to ask :)

I didn't join a squad once and this guy named Nardini took me into the back room and beat me with a sock of oranges.

Comment

Nardini, Sabre, Skud, and of course Gig Al, you are all just what I was thinking of in terms of very good SL's.....I have played with all of you (Cocca444 in game). I am working on learning the maps and do take SL if I am in a team of pubbies, but for the most part like to learn from all of you. The learning of the maps is that one thing that I am getting down and I agree, is very important.

Comment

The times I've ended up as a SL I take whatever advice I can get from the squad.

Even inf the RL military , a new SL is reliant on the experiences of his squad and should be open to taking suggestions.
                              [CoFR] BeerHunter

You shouldn't feel bad because you're not succeeding. It's far better to feel confident that you have the ability to handle failure

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X