sound barrier

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sound barrier

i was wondering if project reality is trying so hard to be real why cant jets brake the sound barrier? also what is the unit for speed in bf2 cus i got going about 3240 at 3000 meters and there was very little sound.

Re: sound barrier

There are things they cant code...the BF2 engine isn't built to do that. It would most likely take a whole new game to implement it.

Comment

how when you reach 2000 make every one hear a sound. but i guess if it is to hard then there is no point.

Comment

speed indications... or all indications for that matter in the BF airplanes don't mean squat. These airplanes should be removed form this game. They are the a rotten worm in this game aiming for realism IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by geogob View Post
          speed indications... or all indications for that matter in the BF airplanes don't mean squat. These airplanes should be removed form this game. They are the a rotten worm in this game aiming for realism IMO.
          +1.

Bernout

|TG-MD6|

Comment

Being mostly ignorant about things modding, I would still think this to be possible. As said, It is possible to monitor the speed of the aircraft. Then it is possible to make the aircraft produce a noise, with decent sound physics taking into account travel times for sound-waves. It shouldn't be impossible to connect the two, logically.

Comment

Because it's realistic to have two jets turning around in circles 200 feet AGL over some bunkers in the middle of nowhere at mach 1.2.

They should model all optics, eardrums and vehicle windows shattering as well.

Comment

What would be the point??
                [CoFR] BeerHunter

You shouldn't feel bad because you're not succeeding. It's far better to feel confident that you have the ability to handle failure

Comment

why dont they make the jets handle more real, there settings in bf2 that can change how a jet handles i have done it. how hard would it be to change the speed into mph?

Comment

First off, the indicated air speed should be in knots. Altitude in feets.
                    Second, it's impossible to make a jet or airplane handle realistically in a game life BF2.

Just think about it... in most maps you wouldn't even be able to fit a realistically seized runway! Typically, you enter your approach at the airfield 10 nm from the threshold. That's about 20 km. Short final is about 2 nm from the threshold - 4 km.

If your jet performances go anywhere near their real figures, you a) won't be able to take off with them, b) won't be able to land them and c) won't be able to use them.

The A10, for example, can take of off runways from 5000 to 9000 feet, depending on air density (altitude, temperature, humidity) and payload. 5000 feet, that's 1.5 km.

For F16, I found that the minimum runway length in normal operating conditions is 8000 feets (figures TBC). 2.4 km.

This is just a few examples on why I think airplanes should be removed from PR. Helicopters, on the other hand, could be made to handle more realistically and used in their right role. There's a lot of work to do on them make them feel real though.

Comment

The unit speed roughly translates as 1000 = 200mph apparently.

Even if all these complex things could be done it'd be a big strain on the server both on working out the physics and the netcode to transmit such precise measures. A bit of a waste when we have differences of 1/5 second between players

I think we will one day have these things but I doubt very much if its possible now especially with the BF2 engine and EA would never have attempted to make the engine capable in the first place.

An arcade game with tactics, like it or lump it :row__631:

Helis are fairly realistic in their uses I think, the altitude you maintain, the LZ you choose and lots of other factors decide if you live or die imo. They are only ever going to reach an equalivant in tactics not a physics simulation I reckon

If you find yourself in a fair fight, then you have obviously failed to plan properly.

Comment

Originally posted by geogob View Post
                        Because it's realistic to have two jets turning around in circles 200 feet AGL over some bunkers in the middle of nowhere at mach 1.2.

They should model all optics, eardrums and vehicle windows shattering as well.
                        If you are maintaining mach 1.2 and turning in a circle tighter than 2 miles you have one HELL of a jet:)
                        Murderous

Comment

And one HELL of a pilot. I wonder how many negative "g"s you get in a steep turn having a 1 mile radius at mach 1.2. My CR3 can't compute that :P

Comment

so today i was playing kashan and the a10 was killing anything in or just out of the mec base so i would kinda of like there to be no jets.

Comment

Were there no rocket emplacements you could use to down it. Im not sure the A10 is especially fast

If you find yourself in a fair fight, then you have obviously failed to plan properly.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X