Advice??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice??

I have just taken the plunge and downloaded project reality, i have been playing BF 2 for a while now, are there any tips for project reality which would be useful?? Can't wait to play as Royals though!!

Re: Advice??

Might wanna try -- reading the manual...

:row__593:
    [CoFR] BeerHunter

You shouldn't feel bad because you're not succeeding. It's far better to feel confident that you have the ability to handle failure

Comment

First of, read through the guide... especially the part about kits.
      http://guide.realitymod.com/index.php?title=User_Guide

I also wrote this primer on kit usage and requesting which helped quite a few new players out:
      http://www.ghostdogs.net/forums/showthread.php?t=5218

Also, (re)learn to fly offline. Especially the helicopters. Get someone to hop on a server with you to guide you though commander assets.

Comment

Originally posted by BeerHunter View Post
        Might wanna try -- reading the manual...

:row__593:
        Best advice there is.
        One of the most important things is that YOU HAVE TO HOLD DOWN THE FIRE BUTTON TO HEAL SOMEONE WITH A MEDIC BAG!!!!!!!
        Please remember this!
        Also make sure you have a gunner when you get in a tank otherwise you are as good as dead.
        Have fun!
        |TG-Irr| westyfield

Sig pic by Sonic, avatar by Chalcas. Thanks!
        Irregular since 2007.

Comment

I just read geogob's post about kits and its a damn good read.

Answered some of my questions too.

One question .. are kit limitations applicable to the TEAM or the SQUAD?
          Last edited by BeerHunter; 09-08-2007, 01:18 PM. Reason: 'nuther question
          [CoFR] BeerHunter

You shouldn't feel bad because you're not succeeding. It's far better to feel confident that you have the ability to handle failure

Comment

Both.

You can only have a set amount of Rockets/Support and such in each squad, and a set amount per TEAM.
            Skud

Comment

Originally posted by BeerHunter View Post
              I just read geogob's post about kits and its a damn good read.
              it's probably not 100% accurate though. It's mostly based from my in-game experience. For example, I'm still not sure if vehicles are locked to a squad indefinitely.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSkudDestroyer View Post
                Both.

You can only have a set amount of Rockets/Support and such in each squad, and a set amount per TEAM.
                OK then , so one squad can't hog all the kits as they're divided depending on the number of squads in a game..correct?
                [CoFR] BeerHunter

Comment

Well, most of the stuff has been short and sweet here, I'll try and offer a little more TG-oriented insight into playing.

Teamwork and Such.
                  Most people would find teamplay an obvious thing. Simple, short, to the point. But it's really not, especially with PR. Teamwork here means several things and heres the best way to utilize them:

-Know when to lead, know when to follow.
                  This concept is one that some people latch on to, some dont. If you're in a well managed squad, follow orders. Whether the orders come from your commander, squad leader, or fireteam leader, do your job. The objective is best served if you're on the ball. This means that if you're holding down a defensive position and your SL calls for bodies to drop a rally point, dont assume that the other guys in your squad are going to be there to take your place. MOVE. You've been given direction and your lack of following it by staying and holding down defense isnt going to help if you die. If your squad isnt being run well, request to take over the SL position and give some direction yourself. A squad with a SL who kinda knows what hes doing is 10x better than a squad with a useless lonewolfing SL.

-Kits.
                  Kits are a huge pain in the game. You have your option from the four basic kits, and then the dropdown of requestable kits that you can get at supply zones. ALWAYS ask your SL what kit he wants you to take. For some people, it's never going to change in that regard (everyone knows that I play medic, and 99.9% of the time when I ask, Im told to go medic). For some, who are more versatile, your SL might ask you to come in a different kit each round, death, flag, whatever. Find the strengths and weaknesses of the four primary kits and use them appropriately. For the requestable kits, remember that these kits are LIMITED in quantity with a couple exceptions (like the crewman kit). DO NOT, under any circumstance, stand around in base waiting for a kit you want. If you want a sniper kit and theyre all taken, try a marksman kit. If they too are all taken, dont sit around and spam requests, take the kit you have and go help your squad. You are a huge detriment to your squad and team by sitting around base waiting for the guy with the HAT kit to die so you can snag it while your squad is 3km away on the other side of the map.

-Kits II - MEDIC SWAP.
                  This is something that I see almost nobody except for the most seasoned veteran TG players do. Swap for the medic kit of a downed medic. If you see someone go down, check and see if they have a medic kit. If so, take their kit and REVIVE. It's not hard. You hit your G key to swap, your 6 key to bring out the paddles, and click on their lifeless body. VOILA! You now have another active teammate ready to rejoin the fray and you just saved your team ticket loss. I'm not trying to sound self-servient here, but medics generally bust ass to keep people alive, and when we go down in the middle of 10 other people and nobody swaps out to revive, it's very frustrating. So make an effort to keep your whole team alive, not just yourself, and swapping for the medic kit is the #1 way to get that ball rolling.

-But I wanted the tank!
                  Vehicles....oh lord vehicles. Unless you're a specialty squad and you know what you're doing, dont take armor or transports. Too many instances with people trying to fly a helo for the first time and finding out that it doesnt work like 2142 or BF2 vanilla and crashing with 6 people on board before they get off the ground. Likewise with people that take off in tanks by themselves. The tank gun is a separate seat from the driver. You really think you're going to last long having to switch back and forth? No. You're just going to get popped and cost your team the use of a tank. By the same token, dont waste any other vehicles. If you need to get somewhere and you have a choice between an APC and a vodnik, take the vodnik. Leave the APC for someone who can use it for a specific purpose. Basic stuff here.

-BACKUP!
                  This one is a VERY simple point that many many squads dont follow. Support your team. Lonewolfing isnt something that is limited to one person. A squad can be lonewolfing too. If the entire team is embroiled in a standoff for a flag, being on the other side of the map doesnt help their efforts. Take your squad where they're needed. Pay attention to the action going on all over the map, not just where you are and set your goals accordingly. If you see an enemy flag go neutral and theres only two guys from your team there trying to cap it and you're sitting around twiddling your thumbs at a well defended flag, think about going to lend a hand, seeing as those two guys are probably going to get waxed in short order. With this though, always follow the AAS orders that tell you which flags to cap.

-I've been TKed. Punish or not?
                  Not. 99% of the time. Friendly Fire is a huge part of the game. People are going to walk in front of your gun. People are going to show up in front of you with no tag and you're going to waste them. Theyre going to do the same to you. You're going to have teammates run into your grenades and you are going to get blown to hell by your teammates. You will undoubtedly hand out as many TKs as you receive. So dont bother punishing. If its really a problem, alert an admin to the fact and get it solved.

-Server Clealiness.
                  The admins cant do it alone, and while you're in the middle of combat, I know it's a pain to stop and yell at people or report things, but do it. If you see people bickering uselessly in chat for minutes on end, it means theyre not helping their team. Tell them to shut up or take it elsewhere for that very reason. I'd rather have a guy who sticks to my heels, but is a horrible shot and dies a lot than a guy who is 30-1 but is sitting in base arguing cause "some noob stole my sniper kit". Remember that retroactive reporting works here the same way it does everywhere else in TG. If you see something happen thats against the rules, get the BFR file and report it retroactively. No big deal.

-Last but Most Important -COMMUNICATION.
                  If you dont have a microphone, get one. Yesterday. Communication is HUGE in PR, more than any other game. Whether its simply acknowledging orders, spotting enemy positions, giving orders, or reporting infractions, you need to be able to communicate. Barely anyone reads chat except for the beginning of rounds when people are asking for squad invites and such. So typing messages out is more than likely going to keep you from being heard. Get a mic, get a mic, get a mic, get a mic. Keep yourself logged into Teamspeak. All the admins sit in teamspeak so if a problem arises, they can handle it promptly. Its also great for good, fun, end-of-round smacktalk amongst your fellow players. But you have to be able to communicate, and I can tell you from experience that there is very little in the game that annoys CO's and SL's like mute squad members. Did I mention you need to get a mic if you dont have one? Well yeah, you do. Really.

So it can be summed up pretty simply. Play as a team (do your job), dont waste valuable time or assets (do your job), keep your team alive (do your job), keep the server running smooth (do your job), communicate with your team (do your job), and have a good time (this is your job). Hope that helps some.

Comment

Wow Ferris, when he asked for a few suggestions you kept on writing....now get back to class or saving lives..... :icon26:

To the original Poster...what he said. Always communicate with your teammates. Feel free to ask questions in game and just let everyone know that your are new so we can help ya.
                    "Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results." Gen. George Patton

Comment

And do please get a mic, I got one a few months after I got PR and it helps so much.
                      Don't be afraid to talk, just remember to try and be clear and to the point.
                      Also ask your squad if they can hear you ok, too loud, too quiet etc.
                      |TG-Irr| westyfield

Sig pic by Sonic, avatar by Chalcas. Thanks!
                      Irregular since 2007.

Comment

Something Ferris touched, I want to underline.

Do not at ANY time grab a speciality kit without SL permission....EVER!

I see many people do this, including many TG players, and ticks me off beyond reason (almost :)). It is totally impossible for a SL, that is making an effort to lead, to function if he doesn't have the strictest control over the kits, especially in this mod.

And for the love of god, if anyone does pick-up a kit without permission, let it not be a weapon with a scope. That just shows poor attitude.

I am going to start kicking everyone that says "Yeah I picked it up from a dead guy" without warning I think. /rant-and-sort-of-advice-too

PS: I so miss the 1stMIP where you could be damned certain that everyone would have the correct kit all round. A toast to them!

Comment

I think the only exception would be on Mestia...where the rebels are severely outgunned. I think a squad member could make a fair case for that one....
                          "Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results." Gen. George Patton

Comment

And any insurgent map.

Comment

Originally posted by Bc2ID View Post
                              I think the only exception would be on Mestia...where the rebels are severely outgunned. I think a squad member could make a fair case for that one....
                              There is no case to be made. The whole point is you ASK FIRST, then if allowed by SL, TAKE SECOND. The whole idea is your SL needs to know your kit without looking on his map. I expect no less from anyone that joins my squad.

I'm not debating whether switching kits is useful, I am saying do not do it without checking with your leader, or become a SL yourself and try and control the Zerglings if you can. Say for example I give the hat to you as a sm, what I do NOT want is for some other guy to get it because he would like to kill people. What I need is for you only to have it, so when it is needed I can direct the squad in a planned way. At this time the scenario will often be that I have to go look on the map see who has the HAT, or worse, waste time asking who has the hat. I can't have my previous point-man (or worse the only medic) suddenly waving an Eryx, unless he really had no choice and I know why.

Off course changing a insurgent riflemen-like kit to a Brit riflemen wouldn't make any difference, so that is all good in y book. Still it is best to warn your mates still, as the Brit gun sound may get you a friendly bullet in the head.

I just wanted to stress this element, because it was general practice in vanilla TG, yet it seems to have faded.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X