Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tired for the "connection lost" error everytime you join a server?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tired for the "connection lost" error everytime you join a server?

It's been figured out what causes it... turns out I was right: Punkbuster.

There are two files that need to be deleted everytime you launch BF2...

On XP and VISTA:
    <path to battlefield 2>\Battlefield2\pb\pbns.dat

And, additionally on VISTA only:
    C:\Users\<VISTA USER LOGIN>\AppData\Local\PunkBuster\BF2\pb\pbns.dat

For those using game launchers, I made a quick batch file that you call instead of the BF2.EXE application directly. For the script and instruction to use it with qtracker, check this thread out:

http://www.ghostdogs.net/forums/showthread.php?t=5249

I'm sure it could be used with other game launchers.

Also, you could edit your shortcuts used to launch BF2. Instead of having the shortcut point to BF2.EXE, make it point to launch_bf2.bat, making sure you call the batch file with ALL the same parameters you use to launch BF2 directly.

Enjoy your error less server connection.

EDIT: the script is still evolving. Vista version just got easier to setup (thx to Odie). Check out link above to see the original thread.
    Last edited by geogob; 09-08-2007, 08:44 PM.

Re: Tired for the &quot;connection lost&quot; error everytime you join a server?

nice work geogob! +rep

Comment

Re: Tired for the &quot;connection lost&quot; error everytime you join a server?

Here's the code directly for the batch file (vista and XP version) and instuctions for qtracker.

WINDOWS XP VERSION:

Code:
      script updated. See original thread for latest version:

WINDOWS VISTA VERSION:

Code:
      script updated. See original thread for latest version:

QTRACKER SETUP:

create a "launch_bf2.bat" batch file and put it in the Battlefield 2 directory.

Copy this code in the file, making sure you change the path to Battlefield 2 to reflect your own and Vista user name to yours.

Now, go in QTracker games settings:
      QTracker Menu -> View -> Settings -> Games

In the list select "Battlefield 2" and change "Application used to play this game" from "BF2.EXE" to "launch_bf2.bat"

That should do the trick. Do the same for similar game launchers (gamespy and other plagues of this world :p)
      Last edited by geogob; 09-08-2007, 08:43 PM.

Comment

winxp version doesnt work for me but at least people have an idea whats causing problems and its not actually our fault

If you find yourself in a fair fight, then you have obviously failed to plan properly.

Comment

Originally posted by Sabre_Tooth_Tigger View Post
          winxp version doesnt work for me but at least people have an idea whats causing problems and its not actually our fault
          does it give you an error message in the command window?

What are the symptoms?

Comment

The cmd window opens and closes before I can read anything. Dont worry about it, in the game I just have to join twice, second time is always fine.
            Then it sometimes kicks me later on randomly, etc

edit:

Ok I checked the error and I forgot the backslash on the path. Added it can find the path but then bf2 gives a shader not loaded error for some reason.
            'Check your working directory' etc

If you find yourself in a fair fight, then you have obviously failed to plan properly.

Comment

Ah so it the problem is still there. ok

edit the script to remove the "::" before the second to last line. (right before the pause). This will keep the window open.

If you have the issue still, other might get it too. Would be nice to have a working fix, especially for those using external game launchers.

Comment

Could you make a 2142 version or is it just the same with a different path and executable?

Damnit Blizzard, fix ZvT already >.<
                In Soviet Russian, Arma admins are nice to you!

Comment

I guess, just changing the path to point to BF2142 and change the executable name should do the trick. Feel free to try it out.

Just make sure pb creates the files to delete in the same relative path to the BF2142 directory. If not, that will also need to be modified.

Comment

So...I'm a bit confused. Does the fix work for the XP version or not? Is the current code at GD working or did it turn out to be no good? Above post about shaders not working etc. makes me wonder if I should go through the trouble... Thanks for the post, and the effort! +rep :icon14:
                    sigpic

Living proof that "Teamplay ensmartens the idiotest of us!"

"

| | | | |

Comment

What trouble, you can do the above in under a minute. copy and paste, put your path into the script, label the text file .bat
                      I didnt get kicked so much today.. :/

Comment

It works perfectly for me and all others who tried. Sabre_Tooth_Tigger is the first person that tells me it doesn't work for him.

Comment

I haven't tried the code but I did go and manually delete the file and was able to join the servers on my first try. Thanks man. Oh, this is for both bf2 and 2142.

Comment

Interesting this isnt the first time punkbuster has released something that isnt fully tested. It was happening to me but mysteriously stopped. Did they actually update to fix it or did i just get lucky?

Comment

auto-update, i think
                              mysteriously stopped for me as well...

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...