Is there interest in an infantry day?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there interest in an infantry day?

More and more lately I find myself frustrated when one of the big desert maps comes up and is going to suck up 2+ hours of server time. I know a lot of people enjoy those maps but I am simply not one of them. Inevitably I ended up stranded in the middle of nowhere or bored silly. ;)

Is it possible to pick a day and set up the server to focus on the more infantry friendly maps? I trust our most excellent admins enough to pick out an appropriate set of maps. :)

Bernout

|TG-MD6|

Re: Is there interest in an infantry day?

Kashan desert 64 - infantry day (no vehicles).

Hours of fun!

Comment

I'd be in for some of that!

Infantry day that is! I've played Kashan when all the transport disappeared and it wasn't fun...

Comment

Originally posted by geogob View Post

Hours of fun!
        That could be interesting. Although we could probably get 2 rounds of Qwai River or OGT in for that amount of time. ;)

Bernout

|TG-MD6|

Comment

I would like to see more of the 32 player maps in the rotation just for that reason. It seems the vision of many of the Devs is to make this game bigger and bigger, and I fear they losing the interest of a big fan base that enjoys the CQB style of play offered by many of the smaller maps.

-Operation Phoenix, Mestia, and that old forrest map we used to play are 3 examples of great infantry maps that many players seem to groan about that I think are very fun for infantry.
          |TG-X|WAREHOUSE

Comment

Originally posted by w.WAREHOUSE View Post
            I would like to see more of the 32 player maps in the rotation just for that reason. It seems the vision of many of the Devs is to make this game bigger and bigger, and I fear they losing the interest of a big fan base that enjoys the CQB style of play offered by many of the smaller maps.

-Operation Phoenix, Mestia, and that old forrest map we used to play are 3 examples of great infantry maps that many players seem to groan about that I think are very fun for infantry.
            We want Inishail back!

DB

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Comment

I would love to see an infantry only day / evening. When I played regular BF2, infantry only options were a welcome addition to the game. In PR, it would be great in the wooded or high grass maps. I play on Sunday nights in Germany, and would greatly appreciate an infantry only Sunday night.
              sigpic

Comment

I like infantry combat supplemented by the other assets in the game. Using transports and being inserted by helicopter, moving under cover fire from an APC and whatnot is just awesome. It's still a game centered around infantry combat, and it's at its best when all the elements come together. A good commander, good use of vehicles, and of course focused infantry squads. I really love a good round of Jabal Al Burj, or even Kashan Desert, as infantry (especially on USMC side).

Comment

Originally posted by BROWNING9MMPOWER View Post
                  I really love a good round of Jabal Al Burj
                  That will be one long swim.
                  "Dirtboy is super awesome, and chicks dig him too!"- Everyone

Comment

I'm looking into an infantry only event. :)

More to follow...

Cheers

|

It is the rule in war, if ten times the enemy's strength, surround them; if five times, attack them;
                    if double, engage them; if equal, be able to divide them; if fewer, be able to evade them; if weaker, be able to avoid them.

Comment

I agree with Browning - what makes this mod so special is that in order to be successful, you have to work as a cohesive unit, with all elements of the team working together, relying on each other's strengths and covering other units weaknesses to achieve your goals. Each map is an infantry map - there is no way to be successful without boots on the ground. Certainly there are maps where armor or air support play a more prominent role, but ultimately it comes down to the soldiers on the ground doing the dirty work and carrying the day.

"You milsim guys are ruining the game."

Comment

Originally posted by d1sp0sabl3H3r0 View Post
                        I agree with Browning - what makes this mod so special is that in order to be successful, you have to work as a cohesive unit, with all elements of the team working together, relying on each other's strengths and covering other units weaknesses to achieve your goals. Each map is an infantry map - there is no way to be successful without boots on the ground. Certainly there are maps where armor or air support play a more prominent role, but ultimately it comes down to the soldiers on the ground doing the dirty work and carrying the day.
                        Bah...you two are missing the point. You can have your "well rounded" combat on the other 6 days. ;)

I didn't word it very well but my intent was that the infantry would be the focus, not that it would necessarily be infantry only. I don't mind armor or air as long as the infantry has cover and a reasonable means to deal with it. In PR these days that generally means the smaller, non-desert maps. The forested ones in particular are some of my favorites.

I eagerly await the details from eGoatboy. If it goes well I hope we could consider making this a weekly event. :D

Bernout

|TG-MD6|

Comment

I think it is an idea worth trying. Perhaps Saturday or Friday would be good days, because they always suffer from the weekend pubbies that flood the server.

Monday might be good as well, because it often has low population, which would work better with less vehicles.

Comment

Originally posted by geogob View Post

Hours of fun!
                            Decades of it.

Community, not corporation!

TG-Irr BetterDeadThanRe(D)

Xfire-BetterDeadThanRed1

Irregs PR CO

Comment

I would like to see APC's changed to NOT allow players to spawn on them unless their is a crew inside. (or allow players to get crewman kits anywhere).
                              I see too many people using them as temporary transportation devices and then leaving them abandoned out in the woods where no one can get a crewman kit to use them. I would also like to see people start getting banned for leaving them behind unguarded.
                              |TG-X|WAREHOUSE

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X