After PR comes Cysis, OE2

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After PR comes Cysis, OE2

For you that are getting a little tired of the battlefield engine check this out.

I do suspect that PR will give us many more hours of enjoyment but this mod for Crysis looks like the next thing for the future.

http://www.obsidianedge.net/forum/vi...hp?p=9261#9261
    |TG-Irr| Red

Re: After PR comes Cysis, OE2

Not really too sure.
    Crysis doesn't interest me.Don't like sci-fi shooters.
    FarCry2 does.
    Both would require a heft hardware upgrade on my part and don't know if the game play would be to my liking...though if the PRM team were to move over to one of these engines...WOWZERS is all I can say.
    They've worked miracles with the BF2 engine,imagine what they could do with these.
    [CoFR] BeerHunter

You shouldn't feel bad because you're not succeeding. It's far better to feel confident that you have the ability to handle failure

Comment

Same here with the sci fi shooters, I'm most interested in that ArmA2 I heard about a while ago.

Community, not corporation!

TG-Irr BetterDeadThanRe(D)

Xfire-BetterDeadThanRed1

Irregs PR CO

Comment

Don't forget the Forgotten Hope 2 is coming soon!

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

Originally posted by Tempus View Post
          Don't forget the Forgotten Hope 2 is coming soon!
          So they say..so is Duke Nukem Forever..does the term "vapour ware" mean anything.. :D
          [CoFR] BeerHunter

You shouldn't feel bad because you're not succeeding. It's far better to feel confident that you have the ability to handle failure

Comment

Not really a fan of crysis, but I'll be trying the beta sometime...

I know that crysis will have a TON of mods, but I actually prefer nicely polished mods. If the realism mod that is supposedly going to rock PR's socks gets on its feet after crysis launches, I might buy it.

I think FH2 is going to really bring back alot of BF2 players.
            Skud

Comment

Ive tried crysis and its inferior to PR in most respects except for graphics.

Definetly looks modable though :)

edit:
              I should add its still in beta and has been delibrately restricted so hopefully the demo will play alot better
              Last edited by Sabre_Tooth_Tigger; 10-07-2007, 04:06 PM.

If you find yourself in a fair fight, then you have obviously failed to plan properly.

Comment

I think the point of the mod is to create something similar to PR so its not the standard Crysis multiplayer. And the BF2 has one huge drawback, no physics. And its showing its age compared to newer games.

I have to say that I like the new ideas of Power Struggle in crysis, I might not like the fast and Sci-Fi of crysis but the mod Obsidian Edge 2 seem to take care of that.
                |TG-Irr| Red

Comment

forgotten hope 2 is all a conspiracy

Comment

I just clicked the thread for the mysterious title:
                    "After PR comes Cysis, OE2" :).

Comment

well for those lovers of BF series you are not going to wait much, FrontLines fuel of war is comming out soon they already have a beta out and is kinda sweet, also COD4 looks very nice.

Crysis is a good game but the gameplay is way too fast and diferent, spanw camp is a common thing you will see in those bunkers and the allien weapons and stuff like that are way overpowered.

Comment

I am watching that one too, I havent heard or read anything about it being like PR though thats whats got my attention on Obsidian Edge 2 mod for Crysis.
                        |TG-Irr| Red

Comment

Hey Red, you are doing a better job of pimping us than we are ;)

Just to clarify folks, OE2 is a total conversion mod for Crysis.

No Science Fiction
                          No Nanosuit
                          No Quakelike gameplay

What we offer is squad based tactical gaming in modern day scenarios, with just enough realism to give it an edge. We aim for total immersion in the game, where every decision you take will have consequences for you and your team :)
                          Obsidian Edge 2: Tactical Modification for Crysis
                          Obsidian Edge 2 is one of the mods selected by Crytek for access to the Crysis
                          Pre-SDK and to receive support from Crytek during development.

Comment

Sounds very ambitious, Im glad such things are in the works. Companies seem to be much more mod aware now, did you win a competetion to design prerelease

How does this following part compare to the BF2 engine ?

Can you comment on polycounts and its criticality within CE2 etc to give them a starting point for their models?

ANSWER
                            Weapons (1st person and 3rd person bind models)
                            1st person: about 6000 triangles (same as cryengine1; not more really needed – above, normal maps are not needed)
                            3rd person: about 1500 triangles

Characters
                            As we are using attachments we have to split the triangle numbers in the separate parts:
                            * Heads 3k triangles
                            * Body 5k triangles
                            * Attachments 1 k triangles

Vehicles
                            Max. 20000 polygons is our internal limit

Buildings
                            Hard to answer – put detail were detail is needed. No real need to go crazy. If you only have a few buildings in your level you can spend more triangles, but you should be careful in City maps.

Vegetation
                            Between 500 and 2500 triangles for trees –whereas the ones with 2500 should not be used in a dense forest because of the filtrate – It heavily depends on the scenery you want to create.

What are the texture resolutions for weapons, character, etc. in Crysis?

ANSWER

Weapons 1024x1024; Character head: 512 x 512 to 1024 x 1024; Character body: 1024 x 1024; Attachments: 1024 x 1024.

Found some figures here :
                            http://www.bfapocalypse.com/index.ph...CMS&page_id=48

eg. max 8000 polys in bf2 for vehicles
                            Last edited by Sabre_Tooth_Tigger; 10-08-2007, 12:24 PM.

If you find yourself in a fair fight, then you have obviously failed to plan properly.

Comment

No, we had formed a close relationship with Crytek during the development of the original Obsidian Edge for Far Cry (FC), which was effectively a dry run for this project, that led to 5 of us working on the team that produced Crytek's official patch 1.4 for FC.

It was around that time that Soroc (OE2 Lead) and Alex Marschall (Crytek Community Manager) started discussing the possibility of us getting early access to the SDK.

Crytek wanted something of sufficient quality to showcase their new engine, but at the same time provided a contrast to the gameplay of Crysis itself.
                              I guess we ticked enough boxes for them :)

Just saw your edit, I'm not that familiar with the BF2 engine myself, but CryENGINE2 is a lot more forgiving of extra polygons than other engines, its tends to be shaders where you need to exercise more care. That said, you cant go crazy, especially if like us you are aiming for a wider (older HW) audiance.

HTH?
                              Last edited by CuZ; 10-08-2007, 12:23 PM. Reason: addition of CE2 vs BF2 response
                              Obsidian Edge 2: Tactical Modification for Crysis
                              Obsidian Edge 2 is one of the mods selected by Crytek for access to the Crysis
                              Pre-SDK and to receive support from Crytek during development.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X