Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BF2/PR & Vista

Hey Guys,

Just curious who is running Vista at the moment, and if so have you had any issues? Previously, I have upgraded to Windows Vista and went back to Windows XP the next weekend because of memory performance within BF2.

With upcoming Crysis and COD4 (Really more interested in the technology & programming than the games themselves.. hehe), I would really like to have DX10 capabilities. The only (EXTREMELY LARGE) problem is I could not get PR to run well on my regular settings. Vista seemed to work fine on medium settings, and other games seemed to work without a hitch, including Lost Planet on High / DX10 mode.

It left me puzzled and frustrated. Not sure if its worth another go. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Specs:
    AMD Athlon 64x 4400+
    Nvidia 8800GT 320mb
    4gb 800mhz RAM
    ASUS M2Ne
    Creative X-Fi

Re: BF2/PR & Vista

same thing with me. moment i go in High settings with PR its unplayable. at least in vista........

Comment

Don't bother with Vista-x64 / 4 GB RAM / and an XFI. More likely than not you will run into heartbreak.

Comment

I run vista, after installing all the compability patches all game including BF2 runs fine even with my XFI card, cant use the highest sound setting though.

If your not sure hold of for SP1, but if you are half savy on computers go Vista now.
        |TG-Irr| Red

Comment

Originally posted by JAMerica View Post
          Don't bother with Vista-x64 / 4 GB RAM / and an XFI. More likely than not you will run into heartbreak.
          I have Vista X64 and 4GB of RAM. I run with no problems. I fixed my crashing issues by simply updating PB and clearing out cache.
          Then again, I also have a very good computer.

Comment

Hi, I am having issues here too...new Vista home premium, new laptop, Asus g2s-b1, and I hAVE been working on getting PR to run on it and can not. It goes to black screen and then CTD. I am working with everything I can find online, and there are ea.support threads that help. I think that I need to reinstall PR now after updating everything...
            sigpic Sometimes I rip, other times I RIP.

Comment

stickyjeans69, JAMerica: Thanks for confirming my results.

Catraphact: I would consider my PC "very good" by all standards, especially to BF2 specs. Theres a clear performance change from Vista and WinXP (IE. Being able to rotate the mouse without stuttering).

RedBane: I would consider myself tech savy, but you can't fix flaws in the Windows Core. I tooled around disabling the 'memory management' services such as superfetch(?), and ... [escapes my memory], managing the systems pagefile, nothing seemed to help much at all.

I guess I'll wait to SP1. Once again, thanks for your input

Comment

Originally posted by ZaBoo View Post
                stickyjeans69, JAMerica: Thanks for confirming my results.

Catraphact: I would consider my PC "very good" by all standards, especially to BF2 specs. Theres a clear performance change from Vista and WinXP (IE. Being able to rotate the mouse without stuttering).

RedBane: I would consider myself tech savy, but you can't fix flaws in the Windows Core. I tooled around disabling the 'memory management' services such as superfetch(?), and ... [escapes my memory], managing the systems pagefile, nothing seemed to help much at all.

I guess I'll wait to SP1. Once again, thanks for your input
                My performance in Vista stayed the same. I did not notice a single thing. I'm sure you're "tech savvy" and have checked all the basic/common-sense stuff like updating to the proper drivers, etc. I'd be interested to know what FPS (I assume this is an FPS issue) you are getting now and what you were getting before with the same hardware, to gauge your performance drop.
                Maybe I'm one of the lucky ones who can run BF2 on Vista 64 with no problems, I don't know.

Comment

Yep, fresh install, newest drivers, no spyware, etc, etc. I run a tight crew. I don't monitor my FPS often, but 50-90fps seems to be normal with XP. With vista the FPS was fine as well, It was ram usage. Vista would show ~0mb free, a 4gig pagefile, and stutter-galore.

GG Microsoft.

Comment

Originally posted by ZaBoo View Post
                    Yep, fresh install, newest drivers, no spyware, etc, etc. I run a tight crew. I don't monitor my FPS often, but 50-90fps seems to be normal with XP. With vista the FPS was fine as well, It was ram usage. Vista would show ~0mb free, a 4gig pagefile, and stutter-galore.

GG Microsoft.
                    They just want to force everyone to buy the XBox 360 to play games...
                    |TG-6th|Belhade
                    "I am actually looking forward to watching Jon and Kate plus 8." - Dirtboy

Comment

Ewww, console gaming. As a wise man once said "You get what you pay for". Would ever consider buying a 400$ computer?

Comment

Zaboo...as an FYI, I am having all sorts of issues with running PR in Vista on my new laptop. It is a sick machine, but hell if I can get it going. I have updated every driver, PB, etc...and am now going to do a uninstall/install again. My older desktop works fine with XP SP2. There are tons of forums on how to get bf2 to run with vista, I did all of the suggestions....but none for PR yet...I can play vanilla but who in their right mind would want to go back to THAT??? If you get any suggestions for my poor, very new, laptop, please let me know,...
                        sigpic Sometimes I rip, other times I RIP.

Comment

If you have an ATI card, make sure to get the latest Catalyst drivers (7.10) released on 11 october. I heard they are the best drivers yet and give you a serious performance boost.

Might help...

I myself chose to stick with XP Pro when I reinstalled my Pc a few months ago. :)
                          Xfire: Iaintyourm8 | Ingame: GhostDog | Steam: Zuigmijnballen

Comment

Hey guys.. Just an update and great news. I found a fix. Here's the problem.

BF2 on Vista x64 and high settings + AA + high res. will use >2gig of ram. The BF2.exe doesn't natively deal with >2gig ram. You can modify your BF2.exe with a program called Explorer Suite to support more than 2gig of ram. I did this, and now it runs as smooth as a babies arse. I took a victory lap around Al-basrah without a single stutter.

See http://www.vistareadygames.com/showthread.php?t=76172 for more details!

Good luck!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                            X