Would be a interesting addition especially for large kashan like maps

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would be a interesting addition especially for large kashan like maps

This came to my mind a few days ago while on the server, on Kashan. It would be cool if there was a way to incorporate mobile artillery units. I.E. either mechanized artillery (i saw it featured on the US Intervention trailer). But it would be cool if after building a bunker/ firebase mobile artillery units could be placed, and a squad would be in charge of using them...It could be a cool new way, especially for longer range shots..., and have spotters spot targets etc...

Who knows maybe something like that will be implemented in further updates.

Re: Would be a interesting addition especially for large kashan like maps

There's mobile artillery in PoE2 and from personal experience it's very much try, adjust and try again until you hit the target. I think it would be a good idea to have mobile arti in PR though...
    |TG-Irr| westyfield

Sig pic by Sonic, avatar by Chalcas. Thanks!
    Irregular since 2007.

Comment

Ya it would be a good idea, but i dont mean to diss the devs(I know they work hard) but they have a suggestion forum and most all of the suggestions are shot down. There is also a mobile artty thread that may be promising because no one has shot it down yet

http://www.realitymod.com/forum/mobi...bile+Artillery
      sigpic

Do you really want invincible bears running around raping your churches and burning your women?

Intel i7 3930k @ 4.4ghz, 8gb RAM, 2x GTX 570 1gb, OCZ Vertex 3 120 gig SSD

Comment

Maybe if they found a way to make it both more complicated and more accurate at the same time, kinda like real arty. I don't suppose we have any current or former Artillerymen here? How about 11-Charlies? (Mortarmen)
        playing off the TG server feels like we're playing 2142 on easy mode~Fehmart

I'm going to close my eyes until it's over~Experiment, commenting on my driving

"Get it up quickly and beat it hard."~Jonan
        I don't get a bonus DVD? My life has lost all meaning.~Zoopy_T

Comment

If they were to add arty I would like arty that isn't like PoE2. Plus if this is PR it shouldn't be like that, artillery in real life is basically fire and forget and your almost guaranteed you'll hit your target or miss by a VERY small amount. Or on the chance something screws up you'll hit the moon but thats not an everyday kinda thing :P

Damnit Blizzard, fix ZvT already >.<
          In Soviet Russian, Arma admins are nice to you!

Comment

I just feel sorry for the guy who has to decide the line between reality and functionality on this one. While it can't just be as simple as marking a spot on the map and shooting, it also can't require us to bust out a pad of paper and do calculations lol. So how does the mechanics of it work... a squad spots some baddies then how do ya bring down the rain on em?

Perhaps quazi-coordinates... Something on a slider that's definate in PR... Say your Y axis represents grid number divided into say 10 points ( 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, etc ) and then your X axis becomes a grid letter divided the same way. SO if I wanted to use the arty piece Id check out my map, and move my mouse ( much like you'd aim a tank with the mous ) to B.2, 1.3 on the sliders <- so thats roughly in the top left corner of B1 (in my mind anyways) That still leaves enough guess-work to make it fair but doesn't take a trained soldier to figure it out.

Thoughts?

Comment

There might be mortars in future maybe, Ive seen something like that in a past test but it wasnt working properly.
              They looked like plumbers but basically was man portable mortar which would be cool.

Till then you can sit on a hummer with the m203 and fire off as many grenades as you like.
              Get a spotter and its pretty good

If you find yourself in a fair fight, then you have obviously failed to plan properly.

Comment

I'm not sure players would enjoy realistic artillery fire... 155mm rounds have a damn big kill radius.

Comment

I do agree that some sort of mobile arty is a must in these long range huge and open maps!

Comment

Originally posted by Rafterman1987 View Post
                    Perhaps quazi-coordinates... Something on a slider that's definate in PR... Say your Y axis represents grid number divided into say 10 points ( 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, etc ) and then your X axis becomes a grid letter divided the same way. SO if I wanted to use the arty piece Id check out my map, and move my mouse ( much like you'd aim a tank with the mous ) to B.2, 1.3 on the sliders <- so thats roughly in the top left corner of B1 (in my mind anyways) That still leaves enough guess-work to make it fair but doesn't take a trained soldier to figure it out.

Thoughts?
                    Yep, sounds good to me. They'd have to have a pretty long reload time though, otherwise you'd be lucky to survive a while with shells landing every 5-10 secs.
                    |TG-Irr| westyfield

Irregular since 2007.

Comment

imagine it though, a squad under fire and the sl asks for an arty strike on the map grid and bam, 3-4 arty shells fire simultaneously or erratically on the map grid, alleviating some stress and giving them a means to escape for a moment, or giving an armor column time to enter a hostile area. I could see it not being able to going continously, the arty having a certain number of shells before being able to be resupplied by a repair/ammo truck, but it could be something cool, even if there were a few mechanized arty tanks, it really could put a twist on the game with the larger maps, or even on the river qwai map, it would be cool to bombard the bridge base, or if troops are at the mine defending and bam, at least for a moment, sending the enemy into a panic.

it really could tighten the amount of coordination and teamplay, and really give a new tactical feel.

And maybe even give snipers, or marksmen tactical binocs to spot out for armor/artillery.

whatever happened to laser designators?

Comment

Well, as far as ammo for it goes... If it's something like the Paladin you'd carry at least as much ammo as the M1. As for reload time... I'm divided as to how that should work. Long times make it less practical but more fair, shorter reloads makes it more practical but less fair. Maybe have it shoot off 3 - 4 rounds in a minute but then you'd have to wait about 2 - 3 minutes to burst again. That means you do have the ability to correct fire before your cool down or to clear out an area for advancing troops.

Now another good use of arty would be a secondary ammo for smoke. If you're having trouble running from bunker to bunker in Kashan, just call down some smoke and enjoy the weather ;D So many possibilities for new strategies with on-field arty.

Comment

If we're going to have artillery let's not go crazy with paladins. Keep it reasonable - a mortar, with a GUI that allows them to be reasonablly accurate (within 50-100m) with a spotter being required on site to calibrate and correct for inaccuracy.

Comment

Originally posted by mingmong View Post
                            If we're going to have artillery let's not go crazy with paladins. Keep it reasonable - a mortar, with a GUI that allows them to be reasonablly accurate (within 50-100m) with a spotter being required on site to calibrate and correct for inaccuracy.
                            Um, I was hoping someone responsible would say the letters MLRS ;)
                            |TG-Irr| westyfield

Irregular since 2007.

Comment

Multiple
                              Launch
                              Rocket
                              System

Oh
                              Hell
                              Yes.

Panzerhowbitze 2000 (spelling?)
                              playing off the TG server feels like we're playing 2142 on easy mode~Fehmart

I'm going to close my eyes until it's over~Experiment, commenting on my driving

"Get it up quickly and beat it hard."~Jonan
                              I don't get a bonus DVD? My life has lost all meaning.~Zoopy_T

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X