The State of Affairs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The State of Affairs

Ok Ladies and Gents, I've had enough and it's time for me to say my piece.

I'm sick of the state of affairs on the server and this goes on several levels.

First, let me make it very clear that this has absolutely nothing to do with the admin staff. The admins we have do their jobs diligently and fairly. My hat is off to you gentlemen, I know that you bear the brunt of the majority of crap that spews forth.

Now, the meat of the subject.

It's going to the dogs. This server is turning into a run-of-the-mill pub faster than you could describe one. Now, how can this be happening with such a great admin staff? Simple: it's not the admins, its the players.

There is entirely too much lonewolfing, whining, complaining, asset whoring and general ignorance of TG's playstyle by the majority of the playerbase. I wont be mentioning any names in this tirade, but these people know who they are. Heres some specifics I'd like to address:

Team Stacking
    This is simple and has been covered a thousand times. If you feel that the teams are out of balance, say so. If the point doesnt get across in chat, jump into teamspeak and let someone know. We're not mind readers and cant be expected to automatically sense when things are off kilter.

HOWEVER, let me state that having the majority of the TG players on the server being on one team or another DOES NOT constititute unbalanced teams. You might like to think so, but I can assure you that you are, in fact, wrong. Saying things like that are a nice little ego boost for TG tag-bearers, which we do not need, but it's also a big slap in the face to all of our very skilled and very professional regulars.

To illustrate my point, I encourage all of you to have a look at the Operation Ghost Train and Kashan maps from tonight, starting around 9:30-10:00 eastern time. On Ghost Train, the majority of the chinese team was TG members...and we LOST. The next map, with some excellent supression by a TG-led squad at south village, ONE SQUAD of TG members and regulars took North Village, North and South Bunkers and then South Village. Instantly people started crying about TG team-stacking. News flash folks: THE TEAMS DIDNT CHANGE. The same people that lost on ghost train got their acts together and began to lay the smack down. It's called teamwork, and it's REQUIRED here. But I'll get to that later.

On the flip side of that, if any of us TG members see a lot of people complaining about teams being out of balance, it is incumbent upon us to rectify the situation. This doesnt mean wait until the end of the round, it means DO IT NOW. We all know the drill, lets make sure we show that we do.

In-House Squads and In-Game Squads
    I read a post by one of my comrades in the 6th earlier tonight and he made the statement that "being in an in-house squad is a privilege", and he's absolutely right. For those of you that dont know, being in an in house squad isnt just something that happens. You have to first be a supporting member. After that you either have to tryout or have such an outstanding performance on the battlefield and around TG in general that you are INVITED to join one. Each of them has their own requirements of its members, and each expects their members to follow TG's rules, policies, ethos and values in everything they do. This also goes for the Irregulars, who follow the same path except that you dont have to be a supporting member.

As such, the members of the In-House Squads develop a strong sense of camaraderie and they bond with each other as friends. A perk of this is that In-House squads are allowed to create squads specifically with the intent of playing with their fellow members. Now, does this mean we're allowed to create locked one-man squads? No. You wont see IHS members creating locked squads unless theres a specific purpose, mission type, or that they are saving spots for their fellow squad members. We're not that stupid and we know what the ramifications of our actions are.

Now, that being said, if you request an invite to an IHS squad and you dont get one, please do not complain. We are under no obligation to let you in. There may be things going on that youre not aware of, or we may simply be saving room for someone who is still loading. Dont spam invite requests and dont cry foul because we wont let you in. I'm sorry if your feelings are hurt because you cant play with an elite squad that round, but we earned the right to play with our squad. We're not purposefully trying to exclude you, but we just dont have room. It's cold, its hard and its the truth. We're not mean and most of the time we're more than willing to let people in once all the primary invites are sent out. If you'd like to solve the problem, pick up a supporting membership and get into the IHS scene, you'll never be sorry you did.

Teamwork and Assets
    I'm going to combine these two because they go hand in hand. These two thjngs have been discussed endlessly in the forums, but people still dont seem to get the point. So let me make this big and bold for everyone to get clearly:
    Teamwork is REQUIRED on the TG servers!
    Get that folks? I hope so. What does this mean to you? Simple. If you're a regular player, join a squad. If you're in a squad, follow your squad leader's orders. If you're a squad leader, follow the commander's orders. If there is no commander, it is the squad leader's duty to pay attention and coordinate with the other squads to get the job done. If Squad A is defending a flag and Squad B is off doing something else, thats fine. But if Squad A asks for help and Squad B is off in the middle of the map milling around, they need to go help. Dont just go park your squad at a back flag in anticipation of the next flag to go your way so you are already in place to instacap if your team is having trouble!

Again, in reference to that specific situation, I'll refer you to the Ghost Train map I mentioned earlier. I led a squad that capped flags, and attempted to hold them to the best of our abilities. Several times I asked for backup. Several times nobody responded. We were in firefights for control of a flag that we were defending and we had other squads 3 flags away doing absolutely nothing for 5+ minutes. Thats not teamwork. When someone on your team asks for help, you help them. If youre a medic and a teammate goes down, REVIVE HIM, no matter what squad he's in. If you're a rifleman and someone asks for ammo, GIVE IT TO THEM, no matter what squad they are in. If youre an engineer and a nearby vehicle or structure needs repair, FIX IT, no matter what squad is using it. You help your TEAM, not just your squad, and most certainly not just yourself.

As far as assets go, lets get this straight: if you're planning on using an asset type (like tanks or helicopters), make sure there isnt already a squad dedicated to that. If there isnt, make one so theres no confusion, and make sure you clear it with the commander. If theres already one, ask for an invite. If you dont get one, you DO NOT have a right to just take the vehicle because you want it. Find a different job to do. Also, with vehicles specifically, if you spawn at a flag/bunker/firebase and theres a squad there waiting for a vehicle spawn, DO NOT JUST STEAL IT because you want it. Your individual needs are not first. You do what the team needs, and the team can better use 6 people in the fight and one stranded than one in the fight and 6 stranded.

Also, vehicles are to be used appropriately and not wasted. If you dont know how to fly, DO NOT TAKE AIRCRAFT. If you dont know how to operate a tank, DO NOT TAKE TANKS. These things have long spawn times and you blowing it up detracts from your team's ability to put it's best fight forward. If you want to learn how to use things properly, there are training maps you can download that have hundreds of vehicles and aircraft for you to play around with. The PR devs have written a great manual that explains how to operate all the vehicles and aircraft, try giving it a read.

Last, but not least:
    Communications
    This is important guys. I know we like to joke around and have fun on teamspeak, but it often detracts from the ability to hear in-game comms. I'm guilty of running my jabber as much as anyone else and I'll freely admit it, but from now on, lets try to keep it to a minimum when the game is going on. Keep most of the joshing to in-between rounds, or take it to another channel. It's by no means bad enough to warrant rules against it, but let's keep it within normal levels.

Going along with this, I encourage EVERYONE to be in teamspeak when they play. It's easy to sign up, anyone with a forums account can do it. The program takes up almost 0 system resources, so it's not going to slow down your gaming. It'll also allow you to communicate a lot better if you run into problems on the server. Theres usually always admins on and they're more than willing to help you. But in-game chat doesnt always get read, so try the alternative, I assure you that it ALWAYS works.

-----------------------------
    So you get the point here guys and gals? We have rules for a reason. Theres often things that you dont understand going on behind the scenes. We try to run a good ship here, but we cant do it without everyone sticking to the core values we have here. If following a few simple rules, guidelines and playing as a team is too hard for you, theres plenty of other servers out there.

But this isnt just any other server.

This is Tactical Gamer.

We hold our players to a higher standard. As of tonight, we were ranked the #16 BF2 server, and thats out of ALL BF2 servers, not just PR servers. That means we are competing with the pub-noobs who run 24/7 Wake Island Vanilla FF-Off servers. Thats something to be proud of, but lately the reason to be proud isnt so clear. So let's clean up our freaking act here folks. I think I've been pretty nice through this whole rant when I could have been very nasty, and theres a reason: I'm not blameless. None of us are.

So take a minute to think about it before you get mad and snap back in this thread.

Was your complaint justified when you claimed the teams were stacked? What about the round before when the "stacked" team lost to your team?

You complain about teamspeak being too loud, but werent you the guy making jokes all through that last map?

You whine because someone took your vodnik, but didnt you steal one from a waiting squad the other day?

You want to post a complaint on the forums, but did you do everything you possibly could to get it solved in-game, or just the bare minimum?

Self examination is the key to fixing the server. Let's get on the ball and do it. Lets make this place somewhere that the rest of the internet chooses as a refuge from pub-server-madness, not just now, but for years to come.

Re: The State of Affairs

Nice writeup Ferris, and I agree with you on many points.

I speak for all admins here when I say we are here if you need us. If you see someone breaking the rules, mouthing off to another player, or anything else, hop in Teamspeak and 9 times out of 10 an admin will be there to help you. If not find one of us on xfire, or take a screenshot and send us a pm.

With regards to the team-stacking I agree with you 100%. Tonight I joined at the start of Kashan, and our team was mostly TG regulars, including a full 6th squad and a full 1st-MIP, while the other team had a few regulars. I asked on TS if we could even things up for the next round, but it wasn't needed. We pushed the MEC back to their village flag at the beginning, but they ended up taking that back AND both bunkers. It was a stalemate for the rest of the game, and I ended up restarting the server about two hours later to get rid of the password cause neither side was getting anywhere.

And the teamspeak chatter does need to quiet down a bit, I know I'm just as guilty as everyone else when it comes to this. We have four channels dedicated to PR: the main, private, PR team 1 and PR team 2 channels. Let's put them to good use.

I didn't join a squad once and this guy named Nardini took me into the back room and beat me with a sock of oranges.

Comment

Definitely some good points, but I 'm afraid your efforts won't make any difference. Imo, people who deserve to be TG players don't need to be pointed to this.

I myself have had some negative experiences lately with regulars and people wearing the TG tag... If these people can't even show pubbies how to play on TG, I completely understand what is happening to the server these days.

To be honest I 've seen better teamplay on the TG TF2 server, which is exactly where you will find me.

+rep for the writeup.

EDIT: just take a look at this thread... rules broken by a regular -> no action taken by admins. Now what do you expect from pubbies if this kind of stuff is tolerated...
      Xfire: Iaintyourm8 | Ingame: GhostDog | Steam: Zuigmijnballen

Comment

My 10 pence worth on Team Speak...

1. Use TS Overlay. That way you can see when an Admin is speaking on channel listen in.

2. Have TS key bindings set you can change channel and volume in game - very handy when the PR TS channel sounds like a open mic evening at a 3rd rate comedy club.

3. Team channels sounds like a great idea for SLs to plan the round with the CO and for co-ordination of transport assets. SMs should stay on the Squad VoIP.

4. What happens when someone from Team 1 sits in Team 2's TS channel and passes on intel using the in-game VoIP?

Ferris is spot on with his comments by the way.

Comment

"As far as assets go, lets get this straight: if you're planning on using an asset type (like tanks or helicopters), make sure there isnt already a squad dedicated to that. If there isnt, make one so theres no confusion, and make sure you clear it with the commander. If theres already one, ask for an invite. If you dont get one, you DO NOT have a right to just take the vehicle because you want it. Find a different job to do. Also, with vehicles specifically, if you spawn at a flag/bunker/firebase and theres a squad there waiting for a vehicle spawn, DO NOT JUST STEAL IT because you want it. Your individual needs are not first. You do what the team needs, and the team can better use 6 people in the fight and one stranded than one in the fight and 6 stranded."
          I would really like to see an enforceable rule to this effect.

Comment

Originally posted by mingmong View Post
            If theres already one, ask for an invite. If you dont get one, you DO NOT have a right to just take the vehicle because you want it. Find a different job to do.
            I have to disagree with this. What you are saying is that one guy can create a squad named i.e. 'HELO', lock it, deny invite requests and thereby take away everybody 's right to fly the chopper. So people playing on a 4 year old system will never be able to fly the LB on Qwai...

Basically what I do is:

- create a squad named i.e. 'HELO'
            - lock it
            - tell people who wanna fly to ask for an invite (BF2 invite system sucks as there 's no way to see who 's requesting one unless typed in the chat)
            - invite people till squad is full
            - make them take turns and find proper jobs for those that cannot fly
            - if people cannot contribute to the squad, I kindly ask them to join another squad

This works most of the time, but of course there will always be pubbies taking assets from your squad without requesting an invite. :(
            Xfire: Iaintyourm8 | Ingame: GhostDog | Steam: Zuigmijnballen

Comment

The asset problem real doesn't effect me as the only time I fly/drive is when I'm fooling around in SP mode.

However , I would like to see more realistic use of the assets , whoever is operating them.

Tanks make excellent long range mobile artillery support units (what they are for other than S&D the enemies pieces) so stay back and fire. Make the opposition HAT guys come to you , (and hopefully there is a squad engaged nearby that makes this hard to do). Don't drive up to them and offer yourself as a target.

Choppers should be support and/or transport not flying around the map on milk runs picking of targets that , because of their location aren't an immediate threat. Look for squads engaged and go offer them some air support.

Just my .02 US /.04 CDN .. :icon_razz
              [CoFR] BeerHunter

You shouldn't feel bad because you're not succeeding. It's far better to feel confident that you have the ability to handle failure

Comment

Originally posted by Ferris Bueller View Post
                To illustrate my point, I encourage all of you to have a look at the Operation Ghost Train and Kashan maps from tonight, starting around 9:30-10:00 eastern time. On Ghost Train, the majority of the chinese team was TG members...and we LOST. The next map, with some excellent supression by a TG-led squad at south village, ONE SQUAD of TG members and regulars took North Village, North and South Bunkers and then South Village. Instantly people started crying about TG team-stacking. News flash folks: THE TEAMS DIDNT CHANGE. The same people that lost on ghost train got their acts together and began to lay the smack down. It's called teamwork, and it's REQUIRED here. But I'll get to that later...

I apologize but I merely was trying to point out the imbalance; I spoke up last night stating that the teams were "TG stacked". I did not though start crying that the teams were stacked because MEC could not capture South Village.

Note: I was the commander for the MEC on Kashan last night.
                Lets begin by realizing the fact there at opposing team APCs at South Village and North Village flags. Why are they there who knows but they are not ment to be there in the first place. None of my guys spawned at the North Village APC while some USMC spawned at the South Village APC. I feel that this issue is a game exploit that wasn't fixed before the release of 0.6. Why is it that there are APCs at these flags anyway?

It was at this time I noticed that the teams were stacked and decided to inform others by typing in chat. This is a total coincidence that some people thought we were "crying" about the fact we couldn't cap south village. In addition, I had little knowledge about OGT the round previous since I had joined late in that round.

Yes eventually we captured south village only after the server population started dieing off. (it was late at night) Then the round turned into a boredom fest since it was like 15 vs 17 for 2 hrs straight until the server was restarted.

Comment

I agree that communication must be improved.
                  Too often i find squad leads not communticating or spotting out enemy targets, rendering team assets useless because they lack vital info they need to do their job effectively.
                  Bottom line: is there a standard for in game comm, like is TG going to make it mandatory to use either teamspeak or in game voip?

All said and done though, this server outperforms any other server ive played in PR and has a amazing dedicated community of players.
                  "Peace isn't merely the absence of conflict, but the presence of justice"

Comment

Originally posted by [TG]slayer View Post
                    Bottom line: is there a standard for in game comm, like is TG going to make it mandatory to use either teamspeak or in game voip?
                    When I make a squad I usually ask the people who join for a mic check. If they don't respond I keep and eye on them and if they don't follow orders they get booted from my squad. They should probably get warned/kicked for not following orders, and I admit as being an admin I have been a bit lax when dealing with these people. There shouldn't be a rule for voip only, players can still function quite well without a mic, unless SL or CO.

I didn't join a squad once and this guy named Nardini took me into the back room and beat me with a sock of oranges.

Comment

Well put Ferris.

The 1stMIP came out in force last night and are currently discussing more returns to PR. With several admins among our ranks, this comes with additional admin presence. You can count on the 1st to deliver a consistent product when it comes to teamplay and maturity. If you see a 1stMIP squad, please feel free to join up or request an invite - but also be ready for complete teamwork.

Comment

Please return to PR.. :) I liked ARMA but it was just to slow for casual play. We need MIP players in PR.
                        |TG-Irr| Red

Comment

Nice post Ferris...it's good to be back but not good to see these issues continuing to plague TG PRM.

It is all about the player... and what you will or won't tolerate. Last night I joined up and played a round before the 1st formed up. The SL, while tactically sound, swore a blue streak continually.

Now I'm no choirboy but I am a TG fanboy so after 10 minutes of his cursing I finally said " please stop swearing or I'll have to report you to the admins...my 15 y/o plays on this server and its against the rules...AND ITS A PASSWORD NIGHT !!!" This dropped like a bomb but after a few seconds of uncomfortable silence the battle started up again and we jumped back in the fight. No more swearing and no one got ticked off and hopefully that SL learned a lesson.

Problem is, since I've been playing PR again after a fairly long hiatus, the state of team work is suspect at best. I'll join a squad and half the time nobody's talking to anybody about anything so that's bad...the good news is that when I start calling out contacts and directions it seems to get others going in the right direction too. This has had an interesting affect--though I really don't know the ins and outs of .6 I find people are asking me if I'll be forming a squad on the next map and can I please have an invite. This tells me that most have the desire but they just need to be led out of their shell.

The server, All of the TG servers regardless of game, are what we make them. So instead of reacting with complacency, act proactively and its likely you'll make a convert or two and everytime that happens sever woes will be less and less likely.
                          sigpic
                          |TG-1st|Grunt
                          ARMA Admin (retired)
                          Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Originally posted by Grunt 70 View Post
                            It is all about the player... and what you will or won't tolerate. Last night I joined up and played a round before the 1st formed up. The SL, while tactically sound, swore a blue streak continually.

Now I'm no choirboy but I am a TG fanboy so after 10 minutes of his cursing I finally said " please stop swearing or I'll have to report you to the admins...my 15 y/o plays on this server and its against the rules...AND ITS A PASSWORD NIGHT !!!" This dropped like a bomb but after a few seconds of uncomfortable silence the battle started up again and we jumped back in the fight. No more swearing and no one got ticked off and hopefully that SL learned a lesson.
                            Good on you, well done I say. I can't stand swearing for the sake of it. It really is unnecesary on a game, I mean, ok you just got killed. Say 'Oh no' or something like that but it's no need to swear about it. I didn't know it was against the rules, I thought it was just frowned upon. I know some TGers swear on the server (no need for names) and I think it should be in the flashy green text at the top of the screen that pops up every 5mins (if it isn't already).

Just my personal opinions on swearing.
                            |TG-Irr| westyfield

Sig pic by Sonic, avatar by Chalcas. Thanks!
                            Irregular since 2007.

Comment

Great post Ferris, and although it's been said plenty already, I'll repeat it for emphasis.

It is up to the players to help get the server into shape.

The admins are available to enforce gameplay standards and such, but without leadership from the playerbase (much less feedback on problem issues), the admins cannot accomplish this on their own.

There is a large PR playerbase out there. IF A PLAYER JUST DOESN'T GET IT, AND IS NOT GOING TO GET IT, please let the admins know so that they can take appropriate action if necessary.

IF THE ADMINS NEED TO BAN 50 PLAYERS A NIGHT they will do so. But without guidance and feedback from the players, the admins will be unable to identify which players need removal.

The admin team is here to help -- but keep in mind, this is your server, and the future of its quality will be largely dependent on you.

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X