Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Didn't think this would be my first post...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Didn't think this would be my first post...

Hello all!

Just a quick back history to let you know a little about me etc. I've been lurking these forums for quite some time now, usually at downtime during work, and have been excited at the prospect of playing on your servers. I have been looking for a community such as this for a long time, one that is just and fair, enforces the rules, and encourages good team play, tactics, etc. I used to admin a server such as this about 3 years ago which held the same ideals.

Anyways, long story short, after reading through tons of threads, which got me excited at the prospect of good teamplay and server environment, I decided to load up BF2 again to try out these mods, and d/led PR. Located the TG server and logged on, squadding up for some good action.

First little while was uneventful, map changed, joined a squad that sounded fairly active....everything is all good.

Then suddenly we run into some strong resistance, our SL ends up just clamming up, not giving and orders or guidance. So I switch. Next squad...same thing. Switch again...etc etc.

As this is going on, the other team is naturally pushing us back off flags since the leadership was lacking considerably, and we are down to basically our "home base" and one other point (a tunneled bridge I believe) where most of the fighting was going on.

This is where things started to go WAY downhill. I spawn back at my basecamp. Take 2 steps..take a bullet to the chest, dead. Wait 30 seconds. Spawn again, thinking I got sniped from a distance off. Suddenly a few characters run by...and since I'm green, I don't react quick enough to the enemy running by me and die again.

I think, "Spawn camping...here?" I make a bit of a fuss about it, asking whomever was admining if camping/attacking the spawn was permitted. I realize going after the assets in BF2 was normally allowed if you put your attention to soley that, but our team, and myself were being cut down over and over by death runs through our home camp by the opposing team.

I make another comment re: this situation, no response from the admin (who i really don't know who it was) who was fielding complaints from the other team that someone was using the AA gun to kill the spawn campers.

So after taking a couple more bullets to the face 3-4 seconds after spawning, I decided to log, with frustration. In fact I am kicking myself as I didn't record the names of the people aprticipating in this behaviour, as I try to do. I have uninstalled PR, and BF2 again since if this is the best PR server (as I only saw 2 half populated ones in my list) I don't want to participate after that. I want to believe that this game is better but that really shook my view.

Please don't take this as an attack on your admins. I've been in their shoes, its hard to watch every little thing, but moreso to draw attention to what is happening on your server, and how the outside observer or possible contributing player regards this bad behaviour.

Best of luck, and hope you can clean this place up a bit to its former glory that got me so excited to read/participate in the first place.

<S>

Re: Didn't think this would be my first post...

Hello and welcome to TG. If the SL does not give orders please report them. All players are required to follow orders and fulfill there duties as SL or CO. Attacking the Main bases before AAS says to is against the rules. I believe your question was answered by me whether you saw it or not. I wrote "DO NOT ATTACK MAINs UNLESS AAS Says To." Spawn Camping is frowned on in PR. Rallies, APCs, Firebases, and Bunkers should be destroyed and not camped but they still can be. There are so many places one can spawn in PR that spawn camping should not be a problem. If you spawn on base or rally in enemy controlled territory your not guaranteed to survive. I suggest playing with me or any TG squads untill you get the hang of PR.

|TG-12th| Troublesome4u

Comment

Originally posted by Lt. Fragg View Post
      Hello all!

Just a quick back history to let you know a little about me etc. I've been lurking these forums for quite some time now, usually at downtime during work, and have been excited at the prospect of playing on your servers. I have been looking for a community such as this for a long time, one that is just and fair, enforces the rules, and encourages good team play, tactics, etc. I used to admin a server such as this about 3 years ago which held the same ideals.

Anyways, long story short, after reading through tons of threads, which got me excited at the prospect of good teamplay and server environment, I decided to load up BF2 again to try out these mods, and d/led PR. Located the TG server and logged on, squadding up for some good action.

First little while was uneventful, map changed, joined a squad that sounded fairly active....everything is all good.

Then suddenly we run into some strong resistance, our SL ends up just clamming up, not giving and orders or guidance. So I switch. Next squad...same thing. Switch again...etc etc.

As this is going on, the other team is naturally pushing us back off flags since the leadership was lacking considerably, and we are down to basically our "home base" and one other point (a tunneled bridge I believe) where most of the fighting was going on.

This is where things started to go WAY downhill. I spawn back at my basecamp. Take 2 steps..take a bullet to the chest, dead. Wait 30 seconds. Spawn again, thinking I got sniped from a distance off. Suddenly a few characters run by...and since I'm green, I don't react quick enough to the enemy running by me and die again.

I think, "Spawn camping...here?" I make a bit of a fuss about it, asking whomever was admining if camping/attacking the spawn was permitted. I realize going after the assets in BF2 was normally allowed if you put your attention to soley that, but our team, and myself were being cut down over and over by death runs through our home camp by the opposing team.

I make another comment re: this situation, no response from the admin (who i really don't know who it was) who was fielding complaints from the other team that someone was using the AA gun to kill the spawn campers.

So after taking a couple more bullets to the face 3-4 seconds after spawning, I decided to log, with frustration. In fact I am kicking myself as I didn't record the names of the people aprticipating in this behaviour, as I try to do. I have uninstalled PR, and BF2 again since if this is the best PR server (as I only saw 2 half populated ones in my list) I don't want to participate after that. I want to believe that this game is better but that really shook my view.

Please don't take this as an attack on your admins. I've been in their shoes, its hard to watch every little thing, but moreso to draw attention to what is happening on your server, and how the outside observer or possible contributing player regards this bad behaviour.

Best of luck, and hope you can clean this place up a bit to its former glory that got me so excited to read/participate in the first place.

<S>
      Good post. Don't give up. This is the best server around. Oh, and even though you are fairly new to this mod, if you hop through all the squads on your team and the leadership in all of them is weak just start your own squad. Tell the guys joining that you are new to sl'ing in this mod and they will most likely help you out...especially if they have come to the same conclusion as you: that there is no one taking charge on this particular team. I would rather have a newbie talking and trying things out and really communicating as a squad leader than a guy that might be a tactical genius but is unwilling to take charge.

Another thing: when trying to point out bad behaviour to the admins make sure you type "reporting" in the global chat before listing your grievances and the offending players...this acts as a flag to the admins to let them know there is a problem. Also, make absolutely sure you know what is going on before you report someone...I have been falsely accused of things a couple times and I have also falsely accused others by mistake. That really pisses everyone off. Just make sure of that.

Good luck and give the community here another chance.
      submit7

Comment

Originally posted by troublesome4u View Post
        Hello and welcome to TG. If the SL does not give orders please report them. All players are required to follow orders and fulfill there duties as SL or CO. Attacking the Main bases before AAS says to is against the rules. I believe your question was answered by me whether you saw it or not. I wrote "DO NOT ATTACK MAINs UNLESS AAS Says To." Spawn Camping is frowned on in PR. Rallies, APCs, Firebases, and Bunkers should be destroyed and not camped but they still can be. There are so many places one can spawn in PR that spawn camping should not be a problem. If you spawn on base or rally in enemy controlled territory your not guaranteed to survive. I suggest playing with me or any TG squads untill you get the hang of PR.
        Ah, I did not see your response to my question (nor did the attackers it seems!). I understand what you are saying regarding spawning at a rally point/firebase etc. If I get killed out there, that's fine, that's war...our point got overrun, no big deal here.

The point I was trying to stress is that we only did have 2 spawn options left on the map, that being our home base. That was where I took issue with getting killed upon spawning. If I could spawn anywhere else, I would have taken that opportunity.

I would have killed (no pun intended) to try to squad up with some TG members to get a real taste of the game, but they were all on the other team. I probably should have taken charge of my own squad, even though I am new to this mod, I have about 10 years exp in games such as these, and have led squad elements before. I just thought I'd lay low, learn the ropes before taking that step.

Thanks for your responses, I do believe I will give the server another go. I was ultimately frustrated last night, because I was pumped up and excited for a good game, when I received the complete opposite. I apologize for coming off slightly forward in my first post, but I still believe that your community needs to pull together b/c there are still many elements of the gameplay that resembled the lonewolf "I'll get as many kills as possible" mentality that I saw last night in my hour and a half online.

Here's to my next experience being 100% better than the first ;) I gotta get back to work now, keep posting some good strat, I think I'll have some serious downtime today :)

**edited for horrible "early morning" spelling**

Comment

Lt. Fragg, please do us all a favor; reinstall BF2 and PR. It sounds like you'd make a good squaddie. Sometimes you just get in the wrong place at the wrong time. I have been playing PR for a few months (maybe almost a year now) and sometimes you just get on a crappy team when it's just about too late to do anything. Being a new guy, I understand that you didn't want to be a squad leader. I was also reluctant to do so until I found myself prodding my weak SLs into action on several occasions. I figured, hey, why not just be a SL myself, and have direct access to the CO and his assets. Turns out that with a little practice it's not so hard, and for the most part it seems as if the people who join my squad enjoy a strong (read bossy) SL. Makes for a much more fun game for everybody. I think it helps with the immersion maybe, I don't know.

Anyways, please don't give up on the PR community because of one bad experience. Sure, I log on and spawn into the same baserape you describe every once in a while. The mod and TG are not perfect, but we are working on it. If you do come back and try it again, look for a squad led by me, or any one of the names you see on the boards here. The leader doesn't have to be a TG-6th to be good (but if he is, it just about guarantees a good time). Also, check out the AAR section of the BF2 forums here. Most of the time people post positive experiences there, and you can look for those SLs in game.

~Pilot

EDIT - I see you already decided to give it another try. Good, I'm glad.

|
          |

Comment

If that was Operation Ghost Train (which it sorta sounds like you're describing) you were dealing with an unusually highly organised Chinese team which I doubt we'll ever see again in the next 600 years. We had two AA guns at South bridge and made the most coordinated strike against the britts ive ever seen. Also, I remember you asking about the spawn camping. Squad 1 on chinese was the only squad initially attacking british main, it was in play at the time and I believe they didn't have the man-power to take it ( i was watching my map while hiding with my squad in the tunnel ). Eventually another squad moved over from temple but the british tickets ran out. So while it did appear to be spawn camping... with the team we had last night I highly doubt it was intentional.

Anyways, that's all besides the point. Stick around and play some more. I've noticed there's been a slight problem with people not used to the expectations of TG playing on the TG server. One of the other large servers must have shut down or something because I noticed for the first time last night TG was at the top of my list which I sort by max players (which doesn't happen because its never over 62 players ).

My best advice is play in Thursdays PW night, my squads always open to people who listen and if you even want to lead a squad I, and many others would be glad to help out.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
            X