• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• think my laptop could handle it?

so im wondering if my laptop could handle pr
    5100 inspiron
    2.4mhz intel
    64 mb radion 9000 ( lol upgraded from 16mb)
    2gigs ram

my nice desktop took a crap so im wondering if this ol'work horse could handle it
    lTG-6thlMavrok

Re: think my laptop could handle it?

The graphics card is your killer, i dont think it will work. But then again it might work and look like crap....so just try it.
    that sounds like a good idea trooper.
    -Vulcan

Comment

Depends if its got shader 1.4 or not. The 9200 Radeon did and the 8500 but I think a couple in between may have lacked it

Type gpu-z into google and see what you get

If you find yourself in a fair fight, then you have obviously failed to plan properly.

Comment

under shaders it says i have 4 pixel/1 vertex
        lTG-6thlMavrok

Comment

im trying to instyall it now but my wonderful cdrom is acting more like a coaster than a cdrom
          lTG-6thlMavrok

Comment

That 2.4mhz intel ...is it a Core or a Core2?

If so, then yeah, the GPU is your chokepoint.

If it's a P4, or Pentium M...that's a problem right there.
            |TG-6th|Belhade
            "I am actually looking forward to watching Jon and Kate plus 8." - Dirtboy

Comment

Ive run bf2 on a 1ghz Athlon, it was not a problem till 10 vehicles were on screen. Low settings will run on almost anything but shader 1.4 is a requirement.

This here webpage says you are good

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radeon_9000

Without sm1.4 the gfx card cant handle the number of polygons on the tanks & they are completely see through, stealth tanks!
              I know because when I first started playing bf2 I only had a geforce4, now Ive got an 8 series and it still runs like crap :row__681:
              :icon_lol:

If you find yourself in a fair fight, then you have obviously failed to plan properly.

Comment

im trying but my cdrom read the 1st cd but not the 2nd...
                lTG-6thlMavrok

Comment

Originally posted by Belhade View Post
                  If it's a P4, or Pentium M...that's a problem right there.
                  I run an inspiron 6000 with a Pentium M @1.6GHz with 2 gig memory and a 128 MB radeon X300 and get 25-30 frames at 1280x800. With a bit of OC on the gpu I get an extra ten frames, which helps. This is with all game settings on low/off except geometry on high and draw distance 100%, 2x AA and 2x AF with Omega drivers. Obviously, I do a lot better with desert maps than forest maps, but they're still playable.

It doesn't exactly look like these, but it's working for me until I have a little more disposable income...

~Pilot

|
                  |

Comment

Disregard my comment then, I'm a little drunk and happen to think my 3.0Ghz P4 runs pretty slow. :o
                    |TG-6th|Belhade
                    "I am actually looking forward to watching Jon and Kate plus 8." - Dirtboy

Comment

Originally posted by A_Grounded_Pilot View Post
                      I run an inspiron 6000 with a Pentium M @1.6GHz with 2 gig memory and a 128 MB radeon X300 and get 25-30 frames at 1280x800. With a bit of OC on the gpu I get an extra ten frames, which helps. This is with all game settings on low/off except geometry on high and draw distance 100%, 2x AA and 2x AF with Omega drivers. Obviously, I do a lot better with desert maps than forest maps, but they're still playable.

It doesn't exactly look like these, but it's working for me until I have a little more disposable income...

~Pilot
                      Woah this is uncanny I have the exact same setup. How in the world can you run 1280x800?? Which version of omega drivers?

Comment

Yea, are you sure about those settings?
                        I have a inspiron 9100
                        2.8ghz
                        2 gigs ram
                        256mb radeon 9800 (omega drivers)

I run 1200x800 with everything low or off with high geometry and 100% distance. I only get 30 frames max with PR.
                        Let me know what you doing different because I could use that extra 10 frames per second.

Comment

I have a Intel P4 Duo Core?
                          2.4ghz per core
                          1.5 gigs of ram
                          128mb ATI Radeon 9600

I dont get that good of frames (60-80) but i rarely have lag and when i do its not all that bad. I definitely am running out of HDD memory and i lag from that sometimes. I only have a 120gig.
                          sigpic

Do you really want invincible bears running around raping your churches and burning your women?

Intel i7 3930k @ 4.4ghz, 8gb RAM, 2x GTX 570 1gb, OCZ Vertex 3 120 gig SSD

Comment

Originally posted by xcannon69 View Post
                            Woah this is uncanny I have the exact same setup. How in the world can you run 1280x800?? Which version of omega drivers?

My apologies, I mistyped... I run the native 1200x800.

The processor is a Pentium M 1.6 GHz with a FSB speed of 400 MHz, not 533 as with the 1.73 and faster processors. This means my memory runs at 400 as well. I don't know how much difference that really makes... whatever. I do load maps fairly quickly; I think the amount of memory (2 gig) and the fact that it is paired DDR2 has a lot to do with that.

As for video drivers, I'm currently running Omega 3.8.273. I had updated them, but there is an issue with the newer drivers wherein the machine hangs on return from standby mode. Apparently it can't be fixed due to the architecture of the newer catalyst drivers that the omegas are derived from, so went back and I'm sticking with what works. I've set ATI tray tools (optional install bundled with the Omega drivers) to auto OC my x300 whenever I've got a 3D application running. From what I've read in various forums, the x300 is woefully underclocked from the factory, and my experience seems to support that assertion. The default speeds are 297 core and 216 memory. I set them at 380/270. I installed a utility called i9kfangui which displays CPU and GPU temps right in the tray. If you try this, make sure you have this set to observer mode otherwise it tries to take control of your fan, and it doesn't do a very good job. The GPU will normally sit in the low to mid 60s (*C) after several hours of PR. The CPU can sometimes get that hot when I run a bench, but rarely. It's usually somewhere in the 50s after a long PR session. I've read it will happily plug along at a much higher temp, but I'm reluctant to OC it for fear that it will raise the GPU temps up into an uncomfortable (for me) range.

I also set ATI tray tools to override in-game AA and AF settings and have them both at 2x, with all the other sliders on the performance side. I don't really know what any of the rest of that crap is anyways. Some of it might be important, I just don't know. Things are working well now and I think I've gotten just about all I can get out of this thing.

One other thing... I've got a program called FS Autostart that some guy wrote for Flight Sim. It's set up to shut down unnecessary services & programs running in the background and defrag my memory before it starts up PR, and I think it helps. When I quit PR, it restarts everything on its own.

In game I have everything on low or off except view distance is 100% (so I can see) and geometry is high (so I can tell what it is I'm seeing). Like I said, I used to get 25-30 frames, and now I'm averaging closer to 35 or 40. Occasionally I'll get some rubber-banding and it bogs down to 18 or 20 when a squad all pops smoke in heavy woods and crap is blowing up around me, but I guess in those situations I just either run like hell or get shot (usually both). I can live with that for now. Until I get a REAL job, I'd rather spend my play money on avgas ;)

If you guys have any questions, I'd be more than happy to try to help.

~Pilot
                            Last edited by A_Grounded_Pilot; 11-09-2007, 01:11 PM.

|
                            |

Comment

Originally posted by machowner View Post
                              Yea, are you sure about those settings?
                              I have a inspiron 9100
                              2.8ghz
                              2 gigs ram
                              256mb radeon 9800 (omega drivers)

I run 1200x800 with everything low or off with high geometry and 100% distance. I only get 30 frames max with PR.
                              Let me know what you doing different because I could use that extra 10 frames per second.
                              This is strange... only 30fps max??

I got an AMD 3500+ (at 1.8 ghz) + 1gig of ram + 128mb Radeon 9800 Pro and I run everything at low except view distance @ 100% and got around 60 fps... (go from 40-50 to 70-80-90)...! Maybe the High Geometry kill your fps?
                              Play Tactical Gamer Only

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X