The role of armor...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The role of armor...

So I've noticed a few things over the last little while with armor and this is just a post to get some opinions on some things. One man tanks are just entirely being left out of this one because... well, I'll just put the can opener down right now.

I've noticed that some tank squads get caught up in hunting and destroying other armor and get too absorbed in that aspect of the game and the rest of the team loses the map as a result. My opinion on the matter is that the tanks are there to support infantry, hunting other tanks comes second. It's far better to have your armor maintaing control of territory and having a small squad giving intel on the enemy tanks than having armor engaging in long drawn out battles with the enemy armor.

Let's face it, what's more devastating to infantry than a HEAT round? Tanks NEED to support infantry taking / defending flags. If enemy armor gets in the way of that, then you take it out.

Another one I see a lot that bugs me is turning the tank into fixed artillery. It has tracks so you can stay mobile. You aren't there to become part of the landscape. I had a tank squad last night that kept bouncing back and forth between Oil Storage and Oil Processing and just dominated because we never stayed in the same place longer than it took to hit our targets and then retreat. Hit and run tactics will ALWAYS win out over sit and tan.

I think that if every armor squad A) used hit and run tactics and B) strictly supported the movement of infantry; maps like Kashan would be much more enjoyable for everyone involved and tank drivers wouldnt fall asleep as often ;)

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to the stupidity of man."
    - General George Patton Jr

Re: The role of armor...

Yes and no.

It is a delicate balance when tanking.

KEEPING THE TANKS UP is more important than destroying infantry. If you keep the tanks up, and destroy any infantry and armor you can while alive, you're doing your job already. Intimidation also comes into play. If you babysit a flag with a tank, and they dont have AT, the enemy is very hesitant.
    Skud

Comment

While I do agree keeping the tanks up is imperative, it also doesn't help to have them sitting out in the desert. When I say supporting infantry I mean: not moving well ahead of your infantry, not camping an unimportant hill, not being too timid to do any good. All of those things I see on a regular basis, timid tanks too scared to make a move, advancing to a point where you have no support, sitting out in the desert while the team gets creamed...

But yes, staying alive is definatly the first mission of a tank lol.

Comment

Adaptation is the key to ANY strategy in warfare (real or otherwise). That means that sometimes its beneficial to sit in one spot if it allows you a greater advantage over your enemy, be it cover, height, or field of view. This also applies to providing cover for your team in a supporting role.

That said, I also have to agree with you about maintaining mobility. Maintaining an advantageous position, by relocating to another location in the general vicinity of your objective, is one thing. But being predictable is something else entirely, that often leads to fatal consequences. I'd say that the idea is as Skud said, maintaining a delicate balance between both.

This also aplies to the debate of Ground Support vs. Armor Targeting. The tank is undeniably and offensive weapon with defensive capabilities. Once again I have to agree with Skud's statement, in that the tanks main focus should be eliminating its own major threats, in order to survive, and then focus on supporting ground troops after. But this is, also, all situational, and where adaptation plays a role. In some instances it's beneficial to clear a path for your ground troops (or light vehicles, as it may be), in order for them to be able to support you.

I have no problems with driving or gunning for "agressive" or "patient" types of tank commanders, however, the most succesful tank commanders that I've run under knew how to apply both principles as the situation saw fit.

Adaptation and Insight. That pretty much sums up what all of that means
        though.

P.S. I really wish there was a way for the Abrams in-game to mimic its real-life couterpart, in that it allowed for main cannon stablization while on the move, for those oh so beautiful "moving battalion of death" moments.
        Focused

Comment

I would agree that the most important aspect of armor in PR is to keep it running / operational. Too many folks just blast into battle and loose all the armor (most of the time with 1 person in the tank) for the side, thus screwing the team. Armor needs to be used as a support to other squads, not just a lone wolf.

I think mobility and repositioning is key for armor. Never let the enemy know where you are. If you are hit with HAT or LAT you are sitting too long (unless you were really ambushed and you went somewhere without infantry support).

TmAN
          sigpic

Comment

I usually run a 3-man tank squad on al kufrah, and when I do I prefer to stay along the extreme edges of the map and pop up over a sand dune every once in a while to check for tanks. I always have an engineer with me, and sometimes have him scout ahead. If I see one of the flags getting hit hard occasionally I'll abandon my safe haven on the hill and move right in to the flag to support the infantry, but only if there's another tank watching my back from a nearby hill. The only times we usually die is when I get cocky and start chasing enemy armor, or we get simply outgunned and can't escape.

If the commander or a squad leader asks for my tank to support them for the entire round, I will gladly do it, and I have done it occasionally in the past.

I didn't join a squad once and this guy named Nardini took me into the back room and beat me with a sock of oranges.

Comment

I havnt done a whole lot of tanking, but from the little ive done, as well as from playing along side the tanks, it seems like it's the best course of action for a team's tanks to hunt the other tanks.

That is, if the other tanks are out and about. I look at it like a cancelation problem. If there are two armies of infrantry, but one has tanks also, then that team presumably has the advantage. But if the other team gets tanks too, and uses them to effectively counter the other tanks, then for a time the tanks cancel eachother out of the equation and the fighting returns to the infrantry.

Add the choppers - take two teams which have equal tank and infrantry squads, but then one gets the chopper to get involved and help with either the tanks or infrantry. Bring in the other team's chopper, and the chopper threat is neutralized while they are messing with eachother.

Then the tanks can worry about the other tanks (granted, im going to be hiding out with a HAT somewhere) and the infrantry can worry about infrantry and the APC's, etc.

Of course this is all a big bunch of generalities. But I would much rather my tank squads be out neutralizing the other tanks if they are threatening.
              sigpic

Comment

I remember reading something on the 'official' PR forums about the idea of role-specific kits for armor...sound familiar to anyone else? I think it would be a fantastic idea. As far as I'm concerned, if a tank is sitting on a hill firing on my location, someone else on their team should be stuck up there in the drivers seat with him instead of adding to their infantry numbers.

Comment

Evening.
                  I also agree on this aspect of the game. With exceptions, the only way it will be solved if there is a general understanding to these issues. With the ASS-U-ME Rule, the tanks are heading out to stave off any offensive attacks by enemy armor. This again is assuming you would like us to go directly to the threat and kill them before they can get into striking distance of you and your fleshy infantry. The second problem noted on this forum before is the instances of infantry NOT supporting armor, it is a two way street. Crews call for help and noone takes the initiative to bring up support or even SPOT the enemy tanks. I like shooting heat rounds and watching guys fly into the air...feels like...Victory.... L:-)

Comment

I would love to see some better commo tools in PR so that squad leaders could talk to squad leaders. Has that ever been discussed? Too often there are commander-less teams that lack coordination. If squad leaders could chat with other squad leaders, it would build the importance of squad formations even more in PR, and would enable infantry to support armor squads in the real life fashon battle would demand.

I would love to see inter-squad radio set up in PR for that reason.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by O=T-M-A-N=O View Post
                      I would love to see some better commo tools in PR so that squad leaders could talk to squad leaders. Has that ever been discussed? Too often there are commander-less teams that lack coordination. If squad leaders could chat with other squad leaders, it would build the importance of squad formations even more in PR, and would enable infantry to support armor squads in the real life fashon battle would demand.

I would love to see inter-squad radio set up in PR for that reason.
                      This has been discussed on the official PR forum. The devs say it's a hardcoded feature which means only EA could change it. I agree it would be useful though, but the simplest solution is just to step up and command if there's no CO... although it's probably the most frustrating thing to do in the game most nights. They need to add a function that slaps the entire team / specified squads... keep PR's pimpin hand strong!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X