The Future of TG and PR.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Future of TG and PR.

With v0.7 getting released in the near future, my goal is to keep Tactical Gamer at the top of all the PR servers. To do this, I want to get some input from the Genereal public, i.e you. I want some constructive criticism and some things that we, the Admin team, do well.

We are getting an influx of new players over the past several months with this immensely popular mod, and this is a good thing. Out of every 10 new players we see, 8 will become dedicated members of TG and some will even become Supporting Members. This in-turn helps pay the bills and the servers. I really enjoy seeing new faces amongst our Community and want to see more. To do this, we must strive TOGETHER to keep this server #1.

1. Do we need more admin coverage?
    2. Stricter rules/punishments?
    3. Nicer Admins;)?
    4. Map Rotations?

etc etc etc. Those were just some examples, but feel free to add more input. Lets keep the PR community growing together,and continue to be the number one server that people go to!

Dirt
    "Dirtboy is super awesome, and chicks dig him too!"- Everyone

Re: The Future of TG and PR.

Is it not a pretty good coverage already on an average? I mean, in my experience is admins *always* close by and quick to react if one go trough the proper channels. I know that it is stated on several places, but perhaps instead seek to simplify and make it easier for the players to understand how to get a hold of the admins?

Yes. If possible, I would like to see a list of the 5-10 most important rules, and what is frowned upon the most, on the server-screen. Which such information in place, none can really aruge that they did not know it - which would in turn make it possible to take immediate action against those who violate the rules. I believe that it is important to send a crystal clear message to those messing around and do not care about the rules. I like to think that most people play on the server because of the reputation is has i.e. teamwork, communication and tactics. None of those players will care much if those who are destroying the fun, and the experience, for everyone else are handed immediate bans. A message, stating basically, that if you "F-word" around, then you wont be able to play on the best PR-server around. Period.

3. Nicer Admins?
    I think that the admins have a good attitude now as a whole. I would rather say that there are situations where I think that the admins are too nice towards people misbehaving. I mean, how many times have we not seen people question and argue about the HAT-sniping? I am tired to see such discussions during game and think that admins should come down on that and let people know that there is very little room for debate regarding the rules during gameplay.

4. Map Rotations?
    I would like to see different theme-nights/weekends when the server put a certain type of maps into rotation [urban maps, infantry maps, armour maps etc...]. Even though perhaps not everyone like certain types of maps, so do I think that it could be a way to up the status of the TG/PR-community. I mean, if TG [with its name and reputation] advertise that it will run urban maps for an entire night so do I think that people will almost knock the door to the server down.

:)
    sigpic
    The Royal Lifeguards

Comment

I have to say this thread's title scared the living begeezus out of me. I figured DB was getting sick of having the server in his basement or something O_O.

Some nights, yes. But for the most part the server is populated by people who aren't pants-on-head stupid. For some reason, there's never an admin around when you REALLY need one - like someone exploiting or misusing kits. Go figure.

Stricter punishments, yes - but I don't see what other rules could be implemented for the server. Just make sure that the rules are clearly posted and people understand them - especially stuff like not camping un-cappable bases.

3. Nicer Admins?
      Don't fish for compliments - it's not fitting. Seriously, though - we wub oo.

4. Map Rotations?
      Kashan 64 is a server killer at this point in time. People just start leaving like there's no tomorrow. I hate Seven Gates but that's personal preference. Other than that, keep maps out that have big flaws in them and need to get seriously patched.

Comment

a clear list of all rules when you first join the server would be great.

IMO you should NOT spam the server messages with your rules.

1) this is an eye sore and annoying for the large percentage of the server, as they already all knowthe rules

2) this spam cuts out important things like kit request, commander asset placement and insurgency messaging.

3) if someone didnt bother to read the rules when they first joined the server, they are just as unlikely to not read the server rules DURING the game. this little change is nice for people who dont like to see tons of chat text spam while they are playing.

id like to see all v0.7 maps in map rotation (besides 16 layers). Cold Viking waht do you mean :P maps with big flaws? is there any currently in?

Comment

Originally posted by Cold_Viking View Post
          Kashan 64 is a server killer at this point in time. People just start leaving like there's no tomorrow. I hate Seven Gates but that's personal preference. Other than that, keep maps out that have big flaws in them and need to get seriously patched.
          Actually last night the server stayed strong through Kashan, and then a large chunk took a break immediately after, and the losing team on the map after lost 1/4 of their team when they started losing. I did not enjoy Kashan 64 but I had planned on playing last evening and had a good squad so I stuck through it. I will pass on it next time.

We do need stricter rules, the HAT 'guidelines' are unenforceable wish lists. Make something solid like no HAT/TOW against infantry except in bunkers and that is all that is needed. You could even do that for the LAT and I would not care, but the guidelines are currently for the respectful players to follow, any jerk can get away with a few HAT snipes in a night because he isn't making a 'habit' of it and that is annoying as all hell when the other player is following the guidelines.

I would also like to have a rule that anyone that is in the enemy uncap before it is up on the AAS list cannot fire at an enemy, even in self defense.
          Mines should not be placed within 100 or 200 meters of the flag as that is basically the same as mining the vehicle or destroying it when in the base. Destruction of buildings should be done by stealth when at the main, not brute force. Spawn camping and HAT against infantry are the two things that people bitch about on the server the most and having clear rules for these would go a long way for improving the server.
          |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Steiner View Post

I think that the admins have a good attitude now as a whole. I would rather say that there are situations where I think that the admins are too nice towards people misbehaving.
            I agree with this statement. I have had a few times where I have reported someone doing serious violations, with the appropriate verbal abuse included. When I found an admin after a period of unpunished abuse, I see him get a warning.

I think therefore admin should use a kick quite a bit sooner, when receiving proper reports, especially if there is no admin currently playing.

A ban imo should be used only when the admin has either a VERY good and trustworthy report, or confirmed the abuses personally.

Being kicked is not that frustrating. You are back in a minute. It pains me to see people do grave offences like intentional TK-ing or disobeying CO orders, then laugh with and verbally abuse the person that confronts them politely, only to get off with a warning they may or may not see.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirtboy View Post
              Admining a PR server is a completely different animal than other BF2 servers, so I commend all of our admins on the fine job they do. There is a lot of effort that goes into admining any server, and PR makes life a little more difficult on the admins due to the lack of information presented on the screen during the game. Having more admins in the game would make resolving some issues a lot easier, but I think overall the coverage is excellent, and finding an admin if the server crashes has not been an issue.

Other than the perpetual debate over proper usage of the H-AT, what new rules would be enacted?

Personally, too many rules = bad. Keep them simple, so even idiots like me can remember them.

I agree with Fuzzhead about chat spamming rules. I wish that there were a way to place more server rules on the map splash screen as you load up - that would be ideal.

3. Nicer Admins;)
              Follow the rules on the server and play according to the TG philosophy and you won't have any problems with anyone, let alone the admins.

4. Map Rotations?
              I absolutely despise: Zatar Wetlands and Daquin Oilfields. If I ever play either of those two maps again, it will be too soon. Beyond that, no complaints. EDIT: I forgot about Gulf of Oman. Any map that is in vBF2 feels "creepy" - they're too "pussified" in their layout. Lose them. Actually, I'm counting on .7 delivering the goods to the point where we won't ever have to set a virtual foot onto any of those maps ever again.
              Last edited by disposableHero; 12-03-2007, 11:46 AM.

"You milsim guys are ruining the game."

Comment

1) Admin Coverage - not a problem at all on TG, most new players think the TG tag means admin anyways and they might aswell be since they're on teamspeak with an actual admin. But of course the laws of universal policing applies; there's never an admin around when ya need one and that's just a fact of life.

2) Rules / Punishment - much like in the courts we should have mandatory sentances maybe some of the more... recurring problems should have mandatory punishment. I'm not going to suggest which problems and what punishments but I see a lot of repeat offenders in the server.

One rule I would like to see better enforced is listening to commander orders. Fighting with squads to get them to move once they're set on "ambushing apcs" or "slowing the enemy advance" is painful. Not to mention both of those arguments when you're losign flags is stupid because they clearly aren't doing a good job at their excuse! [/venting]

3) Nicer admins - well... I would like a hug now and then...

4) Map Rotations - unless we start getting into playing community maps on a regular basis playing a standard rotation should be fine.

------------ Adding some points---------------

5) Forward Thinking - has there been discussion about rules that may need to be modified / suspended / added to account for changes next patch? I can forsee people crying spawn camping a lot since most spawns will be in predictable locations.

6) Formal Rule On Specialty Squads - I know it's a gentlemans agreement at the moment... but (and I know we all hate "but" here) there seems to be an increasing emphasis on coordination of armor in the mod and the rules should probably change to reflect this. We all know the best armor travels in packs with lots of communication and we also know that when the armor is busy duking it out with eachother everyone has more fun... Just something to think about. (armor is just my preferred example, easily applies to helos, sniper , etc, etc )

7) Reforming Password Night - I know there's a lot of players on here that are already religiously into password nights, but while password night is already heralded as THE night for extreme teamwork maybe there's a way to give greater incentives to play in them and increase the average player turnout? Stats? Medals (aside from the regular nominations)? Dinner with Dirtboy? Etc?.... I'd just love to see full pw night servers all the time ( full of people playing it right mind you )

That's all for now I think, unless you want to give me a free membership, that'd also make th server much better ;)

Comment

4. Map Rotations?
                  For me, I'd say leave out all vBF2 maps. I just don't like them, they're just too 'all roundy'. With tanks, helis, jets, jeeps etc. They have something of everything, and I just don't like that. I prefer set out maps like Kyongan (helis and tanks), Jabal (helis, tanks, apcs) etc etc.
                  but thats just my opinion, I dunno what others think.
                  |TG-Irr| westyfield

Sig pic by Sonic, avatar by Chalcas. Thanks!
                  Irregular since 2007.

Comment

actually westyfield: kyongan ni only has APCs and jeeps

zatar wetlands has no air and 8 tanks

gulf of oman has NO armored vehicles for the MEC at beginning and USMC has lots of airpower with no armor, MEC armor comes in after 20 minutes from the highway

so the only one that i think your right about is daqing oilfields, which yes i agree is dumb that it has the setup that it does right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Steiner View Post
                      I would like to see different theme-nights/weekends when the server put a certain type of maps into rotation [urban maps, infantry maps, armour maps etc...]. Even though perhaps not everyone like certain types of maps, so do I think that it could be a way to up the status of the TG/PR-community. I mean, if TG [with its name and reputation] advertise that it will run urban maps for an entire night so do I think that people will almost knock the door to the server down.
                      +1

I know it's more work for the admins but I'd like to see a couple of days a week where we focus the map selection.

Bernout

|TG-MD6|

Comment

Yes. Not that we don't have enough. We don't have enough REGULAR PR PLAYERS as admins. We have a butt-ton of BF2 all around Admins, but even when we use them for administrative action, they dont...know the rules all that much. Like the deal about HAT sniping. They kinda have a grasp on it, but they dont.
                        YES. TG is a community. Nobody is excluded. Nobody is to ignore the few basic rules that are on the server load screen. None of us get special treatment. I've had a couple friends kicked and banned for a period of days.
                        Where we need strictness:
                        1. Specialty squads - Keep them to a minimum. There are a million things I could say here about other REGULARS that would start a flame war. If there's already a squad for it, leave it at that and create a new one. I can't tell you how many times I have had to see multiple "SABOTAGE" squads when I had mine created in the first 15 seconds. And then they just dont back down.
                        2. HAT sniping/LAT use.
                        3. TK'ing for an asset at this point should just be a ban.
                        3. Nicer Admins;)?
                        I love my admins.
                        4. Map Rotations?
                        vBF2 is terrible. Why revisit these maps? They're ok, but when they dont have a LOGICAL bleed, they are a bear to play. Just add a bleed that makes sense for the love of god :(

I'd love to see more Ejod 16

Gulf of oman results in big ego @#$%'s in thier TV missiles just camping behind thier carrier. It's a map exploit, and I know others feel this way too. Then they camp the exact moment when our tanks are up on MEC. BTW, USMC TAKING BEACHES IS NOT HARD! It requires some LEADERSHIP skill, and the only way you're going to improve is PRACTICE.
                        Skud

Comment

I have to agree with Skud and my reasoning is along the same lines as his. Being an admin on the PR server is a cast-iron b***h. It's completely different from any other game, and god help you if you have to review an entire Kashan BFR file to find an infraction that someone retroactively reports. Ouch. But as with what skud said, the admins we do have do a hell of a job, but i'm sure they'd like a break for a little less admin-time and a little more play-time. An augmentation of maybe 1-2 people to the admin team would probably help a lot in that area.

The other part of it is that we have admins for BF2 that dont play bf2 mods any more. Now, I understand that some of these people are higher ups in the community, but I think it would be easier for problem solving if people who got banned were able to look at the BF2 admin list and see only the people who are actively involved in THAT game so they dont get bounced around from one admin to another. Perhaps my logic is flawed here, but I just woke up. Sue me. :)
                          Punishments, no. Stricter rules, no. More clarified and ironclad rules, yes. As has been stated earlier, our rules leave a lot of wiggle room. We need to make them crystal clear so if someone breaks one and gets the banhammer, they cant say "well the rule says that i can do it on a technicality". It needs to be very clear. I realize that making the rules clear is tough to do and people might get upset with some of the results, but I think its what needs to be done.
                          3. Nicer Admins;)?
                          Wait, who is saying you guys are mean? I mean really, lets see who we're talking about here...Dirtboy, Nardini, Goatboy, Wimpinator, and Troublesome are the main admins I see for PR, and I dont think i've ever seen anything come from any of you guys that not well-deserved when it comes to kicking someone in the pants. If you guys are supposedly "mean", I think someone is sniffing a bit too much fairy dust.
                          4. Map Rotations?
                          I'll reserve comment for after 0.7 comes out with its new shiny maps with two exceptions:
                          get rid of zatar and gulf of oman. those maps are HORRIBLE and I dont think i need to explain why. Next thing you know, we're going to bring back wake island as a PR map. ugh.

Comment

PR Admins are doing an outstanding job. I'm pretty sure that Troublesome spent more time watching BF2CC than actually playing on the server so we guyz can have a descent game. Just brilliant.
                            Originally posted by TheSkudDestroyer View Post
                            Couldn't agree more, it's so intense!
                            Gulf of oman results in big ego @#$%'s in thier TV missiles just camping behind thier carrier. It's a map exploit, and I know others feel this way too.
                            I've never really enjoyed the map either even tho flying is the main reason why i play BF/PR. The map doesn't really help tbh, MEC has 11 AA Guns (not counting fire bases) that cover pretty much every inch of the map, getting withing firing range and try to take them out with rockets would be a stupid move, kinda like a suicide.
                            Last edited by eol; 12-03-2007, 07:14 PM.

"Though I Fly Through the Valley of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 80,000 Feet and Climbing."

Comment

Yes. Not that we don't have enough. We don't have enough REGULAR PR PLAYERS as admins. We have a butt-ton of BF2 all around Admins, but even when we use them for administrative action, they dont...know the rules all that much. Like the deal about HAT sniping. They kinda have a grasp on it, but they dont.

YES. TG is a community. Nobody is excluded. Nobody is to ignore the few basic rules that are on the server load screen. None of us get special treatment. I've had a couple friends kicked and banned for a period of days.
                              Where we need strictness:
                              1. Specialty squads - Keep them to a minimum. There are a million things I could say here about other REGULARS that would start a flame war. If there's already a squad for it, leave it at that and create a new one. I can't tell you how many times I have had to see multiple "SABOTAGE" squads when I had mine created in the first 15 seconds. And then they just dont back down.
                              2. HAT sniping/LAT use.
                              3. TK'ing for an asset at this point should just be a ban.

I love my admins.

vBF2 is terrible. Why revisit these maps? They're ok, but when they dont have a LOGICAL bleed, they are a bear to play. Just add a bleed that makes sense for the love of god :(

Gulf of oman results in big ego @#$%'s in thier TV missiles just camping behind thier carrier. It's a map exploit, and I know others feel this way too. Then they camp the exact moment when our tanks are up on MEC. BTW, USMC TAKING BEACHES IS NOT HARD! It requires some LEADERSHIP skill, and the only way you're going to improve is PRACTICE.
                              Exactly what I'd have said if Skud had not beaten me to it!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X